Question

Lip sync fault - Samsung QE43Q60R QLED (2019)

The Beam has lip sync problems with the new 43’ QLED TV when audio is delivered to it in dolby. No sync error with PCM.

From a cursory reading on here it seems Samsungs generally work with Sonos (ie without sync errors).

Other than adjusting to PCM are there other settings I could adjust to retain dolby while eliminating the delay?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have the same problem, please see me other replies.  I was able to use the optical output off the DVR, and also the optical from the TV for the TV apps, and the voice lag went away.  I utilized a J-TechDigital optical switch to control the input.  I realized this does not “solve” the TV problem.  But I like the Samsung Q80 75” that I bought, and this adapter solves the lag.  If I see a firmware update, which I don’t expect to the TV, that resolves this I’ll reconsider my need for the adapter, but for about $30 for adapter and cables - problem resolved.

Thanks, Samsung have sent out an engineer (3 visits) who have reported back that there  appears to be a compatibly issue with the soundbar.

I have chamged the settings on the tv to PCM and the sound sync is fine, I will now go back to Samsung regarding the TV processor .

Thanks 

Got exactly the same issue.

Just bought the QE65Q90R. At the same time, I also bought two Sonos Play 1s to add to my Sonos Play Bar to great surround sound.

Switching to PCM defeats the object of the surround sound.

Is there any other solution?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Please see my above response.  Also, please refer to my other replies on this subject.

The answer is not great, but it is a solution.

I’d concur with MSterling. The issue is the inability of the TV to pass the signal back out to the Sonos quickly enough to avoid lip sync problems. Pulling the audio out before it reaches the TV is, until Samsung can affect an appropriate fix, the easiest and least expensive way to resolve the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Also, just for clarification, by using the Optical from the TV, I was also able to use the TV apps without the lag.  I still found a slight delay for tv broadcasts. 

That’s interesting, and suggests two different paths in the TV for the audio from each source. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Here are two videos to help with testing.  Play these on the TV in the YouTube app.

I was having lip syncing problems with Sonos Playbar and my Dish. Found out that if I turned off the Dolby on the Television I can now go direct from the Sonos to the TV and I have no problems with the Delayed lips sync Using either the Dish, Streaming services, or the DVD player. They are all 3 in harmony.:relaxed:

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Audio Lag Solution:

I now have the Cablebox to TV as HDMI for video. And discovered there is a Optical Output from the Cablebox which I used with Optical/HDMI adapter to run directly into the Beam. I'm going to get a 3-1 Optical adapter to ultimately connect all audio components including TV apps, BlueRay, and Cablebox.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/spdif-toslink-3x1/

After many months on the Optical I tried the HDMI ARC port again.  Lo and behold, it’s not giving the audio delay.  I keep track of the firmware updates on the TV and maybe the the S2 update to Beam did something - no idea.  But here’s one odd thing, the audio was now slightly faster than the video.  Almost imperceptible.  So using the TV Sound/Expert settings, I added a slight delay.  

Now got to decide if I want to upgrade to the Sonos Arc.   I know I won’t probably get Atmos,  but oddly, my TV settings have a selection for that.  But I wonder if the sound stage is better than the Beam   

Badge

I'm having a similar issue with my 2019 Q85R where when I'm playing my PS4 or Xbox One X there's a delay between actions and sound. It's fine when watching Freesat or the inbuilt apps but I game quite regularly and it was really distracting when playing The Last of Us Part 2.

I have a 5.0 set up with a Beam and 2x Sonos Surrounds. I'm connected via HDMI ARC and I can't really use the optical solution from console straight to Beam as I'll have to swap it constantly which will be fiddly.

Is there any way I can possibly get around this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@Jonjon1239  This may be a possibility, albeit it’s expensive. 
https://jtechdigital.com/product/8x1-audio-extractor-1080p/

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hdfury “Arcana” will solve this problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Is there any brand of TV out there that does not have the DD sync issue? One with an improved sound processing module? As much as I like almost everything else about the Samsung Q8DT, especially its glorious picture, I am within my return window and will go through the bs associated with setting up a new set. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

From what I’ve heard are only the lg oled TVs but that’s where I would start.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have seen complaints about Audio Lag on LG in this forum as well.   But I have not come across any for the Sony.    I see there is a X950H with eArc.  But maybe it’s too new for people to have noticed yet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Audio Lag Solution:

I now have the Cablebox to TV as HDMI for video. And discovered there is a Optical Output from the Cablebox which I used with Optical/HDMI adapter to run directly into the Beam. I'm going to get a 3-1 Optical adapter to ultimately connect all audio components including TV apps, BlueRay, and Cablebox.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/spdif-toslink-3x1/

After many months on the Optical I tried the HDMI ARC port again.  Lo and behold, it’s not giving the audio delay.  I keep track of the firmware updates on the TV and maybe the the S2 update to Beam did something - no idea.  But here’s one odd thing, the audio was now slightly faster than the video.  Almost imperceptible.  So using the TV Sound/Expert settings, I added a slight delay.  

Now got to decide if I want to upgrade to the Sonos Arc.   I know I won’t probably get Atmos,  but oddly, my TV settings have a selection for that.  But I wonder if the sound stage is better than the Beam   

The Audio Lag problem returned within a day of this post.  So disappointed.  I forgot to return here to update.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Have you considered the hdfury device