Question

Lip sync fault - Samsung QE43Q60R QLED (2019)

The Beam has lip sync problems with the new 43’ QLED TV when audio is delivered to it in dolby. No sync error with PCM.

From a cursory reading on here it seems Samsungs generally work with Sonos (ie without sync errors).

Other than adjusting to PCM are there other settings I could adjust to retain dolby while eliminating the delay?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Did you fix this? I just got the Q90R ‘Flagship’. I often have negative lip sync and I can only add a positive delay. PCM doesn’t sound great. The lip sync varies so much I am changing constantly.
No, my experience is the same as yours. It seems to be worse on Virgin TV than with internet VOD or streaming.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Have Sonos offered any suggestions or do they think it is the TV?
Sonos - no; retailer suggested only the audio delay setting in the sonos app, which doesn’t help. Consensus seems to be that there’s latency in the audio output through hdmi-arc when using dolby, presumably due to processing, which the Sonos can’t do anything about. If the latency theory is true then I assume it can only be fixed by Samsung updating the firmware so the audio output syncs with the video. I’ve given up playing with the settings; if there’s a way to retard the video to allow the audio to catch up I’d like to know what it is.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Have you tried the TV speaker? I’ve just tried mine (no soundbar). The sound and picture are not quite in sync. It’s not as bad as with the soundbar but does seem to point to a TV issue. This is with Sky Q HDMI and optical connection to Playbar in Dolby 5.1.
Hi Mark, I’m not getting any sync issues when using the TV speakers - but not a comprehensive tests as I’ve not tried it with all channels that were causing problems before (BBC1 HD was worst I think). Have you found a fix? Samsung need to update the firmware to allow voice and video modulation as the Apple TV update provides (assuming that’s the fix).
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi. I raised an issue with Samsung. I would suggest you do the same as the more people raising, the more attention it might get. I also have the retailer chasing Samsung and fortunately have the offer to return or exchange the TV.

Meanwhile, the only work around is to use PCM output instead of Dolby 5.1. Not really acceptable but at least it works!

Thanks.
Badge

Set your A/V sync on your tv to ON and not Auto.  Lip sync problems sorted beteen tv and beam and sky Q. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Where is the A/V Sync setting?  I can't see it on the Sound menu. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Did you try using the optical connection via the included hdmi-to-optical adapter? Might help. You won’t loose any sound quality, although you won’t have HDMI-CEC support either. On the flipside, Beam has an IR receiver and it can “learn” your TV remote, so you can control volume that way.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the Playbar which is only optical although I have tried a Beam and other HDMI devices. 

I still can't locate the A/V Sync setting mentioned above. Is it on the UK/Europe version of the Q90R TV?  

Badge

Sky Q hdmi cable direct to tv HDMI ARC,  Optical out using the hdmi and the optical adaptor for the beam direct to the beam HDMI.

Sony tv is SETTINGS > SOUND > Then look for the A.V Sync.  If it is set to Auto move it to ON. This removes the lip sync issues.  Sorry dont know where it is on all TVs but check it out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well this thread was for Samsung TV issues so thanks but I don't think we’ll find the same settings on the Samsung as you have on the Sony. 

Badge

Most tvs have this function.  https://www.samsung.com/my/support/tv-radio-video/how--to-set-up-av-sync-in-audio-setting/

Might help

Badge

https://www.samsung.com/my/support/tv-radio-video/how-to-set-up-av-sync-in-audio-setting/

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Ive been suffering with lip sync since i purchased the sonos beam ive tried all sorts off setups but nothing sorts it 

Samsung say its sonos problem 

My tv IS  a QE55Q8CNA any help appreciated 

Userlevel 1
Badge

If the video is ahead of the sound then I’d expect it to be a TV issue. If the sound is ahead of the video just use the delay settings to correct it. 

For video ahead of sound all you can do is raise it with Samsung and escalate the issue. You can contact the CEO from their website. The more people that do this the more chance we have of a fix. I raised for Q90R. 

https://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus/email-the-ceo/

Userlevel 1
Badge

On the Q90R Samsung UK have been able to reproduce the lip sync issue and have passed it to HQ for further analysis. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I raised it with samsung and they are adamant it is a sonos problem after going  back and forward emailing swapping settings 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

With the concept that misery loves company (not sure that really true).   I can confirm the same problem on my 2019 Q80 (U.S. version).  When I have Xfinity set to Stereo no issues.  But when set to Dolby 5.1 it has the video ahead of audio sync problem.   I have one more item to throw in the mix.  

My Xfinity X1 box HDMI Out is sent to my Denon AVR HDMI input.  Then the Denon HDMI out feeds the Samsung HDMI input.  And lastly the Samsung HDMI ARC feeds the Sonos Beam.  I have the Denon set to HDMI Pass-Through for when it’s not active and in Standby mode.   I have the Denon in the mix, because I also use it to play music to on my B side connections to my patio.  I use the Xfinity Music channels for that at times.  

I have not yet experimented if removing the Denon from the path of connections would rectify the lag problem.  But based on my reading of others, I don’t think this will help.  I have yet to try  +Firestarter999 usage of the Optical.  But I really didn’t want to give up the HDMI-CEC function of having one remote from Xfinity to both control volume and power on/off the set.

Lastly, I acquired two Sonos One’s a few days after getting the Beam, and successfully connected them as Left/Right Surrounds to the Beam.  With Xfinity set to Stereo, I hear audio for through the Ones’. Although, it’s not clear to me if they’re acting as Surrounds.  I don’t have the Sub.  So my set-up is 5.0.

Can someone provide guidance on this last comment?

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Audio Lag Solution:

I now have the Cablebox to TV as HDMI for video. And discovered there is a Optical Output from the Cablebox which I used with Optical/HDMI adapter to run directly into the Beam. I'm going to get a 3-1 Optical adapter to ultimately connect all audio components including TV apps, BlueRay, and Cablebox.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/spdif-toslink-3x1/

Pretty clear indication the delay is being caused in the TV?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Pretty clear indication the delay is being caused in the TV?

Absolutely.  

I have a  2019 Samsung Q7 which I purchased direct from Samsung and have been complaining to them since I purchased it, I have sky Q connected via HDMI and playbar connected via optical cable.

When I switch the optical cable to Sky Q to Soundbar there is no lip sync issue but I cant use TV apps 

Samsung have sent me firmware update and last week replaced the motherboard, neither sorted the issue as I need a negative adjustment on the sound. 

I am now advised that there is a compatibility issue with the sound bar and this is not Samsung’s fault., I am continuing to press them for a full refund.

Any assistance or advise would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me insane. 

I have a  2019 Samsung Q7 which I purchased direct from Samsung and have been complaining to them since I purchased it, I have sky Q connected via HDMI and playbar connected via optical cable.

When I switch the optical cable to Sky Q to Soundbar there is no lip sync issue but I cant use TV apps 

Samsung have sent me firmware update and last week replaced the motherboard, neither sorted the issue as I need a negative adjustment on the sound. 

I am now advised that there is a compatibility issue with the sound bar and this is not Samsung’s fault., I am continuing to press them for a full refund.

Any assistance or advise would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me insane. 

It sounds like a case of the TV processor is ‘maybe’ not operating quickly enough to send the Dolby surround audio out its port to the ‘Receiver’. Some brands/models of TV still seem to have this issue as the manufacturers tend to spend more on the display/picture quality perhaps, rather than improving internal components for audio. TV speaker quality on some brands are testament to that. 

There is little that can be done for the in-built TV Apps in this type of case, but a separate audio extractor/splitter will at least work in most circumstances for external components, like Sky Q boxes, Apple TV’s etc. Fortunately most of those products now have the majority of useful A/V Apps, like Netflix, Amazon Prime Movies, YouTube, Spotify etc; just to name a few of the popular ones.

You say you have ‘now been advised that there is a compatibility issue with the soundbar’ but it’s unclear from where you have obtained that information, what is the source? and is the compatibility issue merely the case that your TV cannot process the audio quickly enough through its own port? If that is the case, you may need to approach customer care at Samsung and discuss the matter with them further, rather than with a Sonos user community here, which will likely show some bias towards and in favour of the Sonos product. It’s a Speaker after all and so the PlayBar will only play the audio when it gets it and clearly in your case the PlayBar sounds like it is getting it later, rather than sooner. That infers it’s a TV issue.

One thing you may want to try is switching off any audio enhancement features on the TV itself and perhaps even try PCM stereo audio output from the TV instead, just to see if the TV processor can send that signal quickly enough for the A/V to be in lip-sync and if it does work for you, it may go some way to point toward the TV processor being too slow for managing surround sound.

Hope that assists.👍