Question

Limitation of Sonos Amp?

• 1 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hopefully simple question.  I have the new Sonos Amp with a wired connection to two Klipsch bookshelf speakers.  Sounds great.  I was considering adding the Sonos subwoofer.  A recent review in PC Magazine indicates, however, that the wireless Sonos Sub will NOT work with the Amp when the Amp is powering two non-Sonos speakers.  In other words, given my current setup, I will have to go with a non-Sonos subwoofer.  

Is this correct?

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

No, this is not correct. You can add the Sonos Sub to Amp powering 3rd party passives - I have that and works great.

Badge

Thank you for your reply.  The article I cited can be found below.  States pretty emphatically that the sub won’t work under the conditions I stated.  What speakers is your Amp driving?  https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/sonos-sub

From Sonos.com

Can I use Sub with my passive or wired speakers?

If you power your speakers with Amp, you will be able to connect Sub as part of your Sonos sound system.

Badge

Thanx Bruce.  Surprised that I didn’t find the Sonos help on my own.  Michael

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thank you for your reply.  The article I cited can be found below.  States pretty emphatically that the sub won’t work under the conditions I stated.  What speakers is your Amp driving?  https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/sonos-sub

How strange, they are stating this so explicitly yet totally incorrect…

Maybe they mixed up the Sub with Trueplay - that can only be done with Sonance Architectural speakers and not any other passives. For further reassurance re Sub, I don’t have Sonance, but B&W 705 S2 and yes Sonos Sub works :sunglasses:

It’s possible that it’s new with the third gen SUB, I don’t recall that it worked with the second Gen SUB. But I just copied the data from the Sonos advertising FAQ. I don’t have an Amp to test with.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It’s possible that it’s new with the third gen SUB, I don’t recall that it worked with the second Gen SUB. But I just copied the data from the Sonos advertising FAQ. I don’t have an Amp to test with.

No it is not new. It also works with 2nd Gen Sub - I have that one.