LG OLED55C8PLA SONOS 5.1 problem

• 15 January 2019
  • 5 replies

I recently bought the LG OLED55C8PLA and connected it via optical cable to my Playbar with sub and two sonos 1s. I have apple tv4k in hmdi 1, a samsung blueray dvd player in hdmi 2 and Nintendo switch in hdmi 3

Can anyone guide me through the set up process how to get the best surround sound experience? My sonos app keeps saying “stereo “ for audio input. This is both the case for the native netflix and Amazon app i am using as well as the apple tv. I have switched apple tv from atmos to 5.1, still same problem.

Im traveling the next few day so cannot give feedback straight away but thanks for any advice in advance

Nick

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ncmeijer

Below are several links to YouTube videos on setting the sound output for your LG OLED C8. The first one is produced by LG the latter two are uploads from bloggers. Please post back with your results. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhpLaVMr4b8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUuUGNVqUkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwrGvCJOwk
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
My LG TV needed me to buy a special remote to get into the service menu to enable DD 5.1 over optical. YMMV.
Userlevel 7
My LG TV needed me to buy a special remote to get into the service menu to enable DD 5.1 over optical. YMMV.

@controlav

Not doubting your experience, but I have the same LG set as ncmeijer connected to a Playbar, Sub and Play 3 surrounds. Using an AppleTV 4K and Xbox One S Sonos App shows DD5.1. Didn't have to buy a special remote to enable DD5.1 compatibility. In fact the LG OLED C8 supports Dolby Atmos right out of the box using the provided remote for settings menu. If after going through the YouTube videos with less than positive results then I would suggest ncmeijer call LG Tech support.

Cheers!
Thanks a lot guys, managed to get it working. Have the following settings:

TV: sound out optical, DTV auto, AV Sync ON.
APPLE TV 4k sound setting: Atmos.

Samsung DVD: haven’t checked yet

Netflix and Apple tv all has the sonos app displaying 5.1 assuming that type of content been played.
Nintendo Switch cannot be set to surround. This is a well know problem discussed on this forum.

Thanks again!
Thanks a lot guys, managed to get it working. Have the following settings:

TV: sound out optical, DTV auto, AV Sync ON.
APPLE TV 4k sound setting: Atmos.

Samsung DVD: haven’t checked yet

Netflix and Apple tv all has the sonos app displaying 5.1 assuming that type of content been played.
Nintendo Switch cannot be set to surround. This is a well know problem discussed on this forum.

Thanks again!

I had the same problem and got it to work now, only thing left is that the native Youtube app still doesn’t output 5.1 to my Sonos. It did on my older LG led tv....
Do you got Youtube working with 5.1?