Answered

LG OLED55C8PLA DTS AUDIO

• 2 May 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi All,
I have this tv: https://www.lg.com/it/tv/lg-OLED55C8PLA-tv-oled
I have the Sonos Beam connected through HDMI ARC.
I have an external HDD connected in USB and i want to play .mkv movie with this audio:

Formato : DTS
Formato/Informazioni : Digital Theater Systems
Profilo formato : MA / Core
Modo : 16
Impostazioni formato, Endianness : Big
ID codec : A_DTS
Durata : 2o 10min
Modalità bitrate : Variabile / Costante
Bitrate : 1.920 Kbps / 1.509 Kbps
Canali : 6 canali
Posizione canali : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Frequenza campionamento : 48,0 KHz
Frame rate : 93,750 fps (512 spf)
Profondità bit : 16 bit
Modo compressione : Senza perdita / Lossy
Dimensione della traccia : 1,76 GiB (7%)
Titolo : DTS HD ITA
Lingua : Italiano
Default : Si
Forced : No

My TV, from technical specs is able to Decode DTS Audio.
So my question is: will DTS audio automatically converted from the TV to Sonos Beam (and all Sonos Environment)?

Thank You
icon

Best answer by Chris 2 May 2019, 13:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No - the HDMI will pass through DTS which the Beam can not decode. I believe the TV will convert DTS to PCM by setting sound output to PCM - but you will then loose surround (stereo only).
But, if the TV is able to decode DTS by his own, then it should be able to pass at least Dolby 5.1 through HDMI, no? I mean, is the same thing that a PS4 or Xbox One are able to do, but the TV will do it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
According to owners manual it passes all day as dts. It can decode dts but can’t transcode to another format. Manual says dts to dts or set tv to pcm only.
Ok, so what do you suggest if I want to get max quality from dts to sonos? Do I have to buy some external devices to put between tv and sonos?
Userlevel 1
Badge
You can convert the audio track from the MKV files to AC3 codec (Dolby Digital 5.1) to make it work with the Sonos Beam.

To do so, you'll need ffmpeg from here: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
Create a new BAT or CMD file (for example `audioConvert.cmd`) in the same folder as `ffmpeg.exe`. Paste the following in the new BAT/CMD file:
code:
ffmpeg -i %1 -map 0:v -vcodec copy -map 0:a:0 -acodec ac3 -b:a 640k -map 0:s? -scodec copy "%~d1%~p1%~n1"-AC3.mkv

This script copies all video and subtitle tracks and converts the first audio track (and dismisses other audio tracks). Drag-drop a MKV file on top of the script or call it from the command line. A new copy will be created with the same filename + `-AC3.mkv` suffix.

Successfully tested on a LG OLED 2017 television in combination with Sonos Beam, 2x Ones surrounds and Sub.
Thank you RandomPerson, I'll try that 🙂