Question

LG OLED 55B6 compatibility

• 4 January 2017
  • 18 replies

Just purchased a new LG 55B6 OLED and having difficulty setting up the TV remote to work the Sonos Playbar.
Having looked at all the previous comments I have tried various settings. The TV remote works Sonos when the TV is off, as soon as the TV is turned on the remote will not operate the TV.
I guess the proves the remote can operate the Playbar, I am not sure however what turning the TV on does to stop the remote operating the Playbar.

I must admit to being shocked that LG does not even list Sonos. I am not sure if I am slightly disappointed with LG or Sonos but do feel they both need to do more to resolve issues like this.

Any other victims out there that have resolved this.

Thanks and regards

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Found these settings somewhere else on the forum. Worked for my LG 55EG9600 OLED which is the 2015 model.

Part 1:
1) Click the home button on your magic remote and scroll along the bottom (where Netflix, etc is) until you get to a purple icon "device connector"
2) Select soundbar and pick the Phillips brand and select remote type 4
3) Select done

Part 2:
1) Open the Sonos app on your iPad or phone
2) Select the gear icon "settings"
3) Select the room your system is in
4) Select TV setup and control
5) Select remote control set up and follow the prompts using your "Phillips" magic remote
Thank you, this didn't work for me, the solution below however did work.

LG Magic remotes work with RF (radio frequency) signal by default, while Sonos Playbar works with IR (infra-red).
However, several Sonos users have found a workaround for this problem.
I will quote Manuel who posted the following procedure on the Community :
1) Go to the LG "Universal Control" and add a Philips sound bar
2) Once done exit the setup and switch to your normal TV input
3) Bring up the LG on-screen remote by pressing the "123/QMenu" button
4) Choose the left/right arrows on top of the on-screen remote until a grey "S.Bar" button appears in the top row
5) Choose the "S.Bar" button which changes the on-screen remote to shrink, show a green "Phillips" button and more importantly the Vol+ and Vol- buttons
6) Launch the Sonos contoller, go into the remote control setup and choose "Replace Remote"
7) When the Sonos controller asks for the respective Vol+ / Vol- buttons use the ones off the on-screen remote from step 5
😎 The mute button was not available on the on-screen remote so to complete the Sonos remote setup go back to step one and go through the same sound bar setup again which will give you the mute button on-screen as some of the button to test.

Sonos and LG need to start talking to each other to resolve this properly. Having said this, I already had the Sonos, the sound from the 55B6 itself is very good. Had I known this and didn't already have the Sonos I probably wouldn't have bothered with it. What amazes me is that retail sales people sell these TV's and Sonos together, mostly without any knowledge of incompatibility.

LG couldn't help but Sonos did, I needed Twitter to prompt some action.

Thanks again.
Hi, I've got the PlayBase 5.1 set-up coming start of April. I'm looking for an OLED tv to play 5.1. I was thinking of the LG 55B6 OLED. Does the tv pass through 5.1?
Sorry to be thick on 5.1, I am not an expert on sound set up. The LG OLED put the sound through our SonosPlaybar fine. There is no Sonos soundbar option in the LG list which did surprise me as every other man and his dog is listed, except Sonos. My issue was getting the LG remote to operate the Sonos volume. The fix above did resolve this. Subsequent conversations with John Lewis have found advice to use the Sonos App to control volume. We have avoided this and everything works fine. In hindsight, I would do more research in store and get the compatibility demonstrated. The LG TV is fantastic. Good luck.
@Raycollington, thanks buddy
Long time Sonos fan and customer. Pretty irritate at the fact that this doesn't work seamlessly with the best TV available on the market. Unbelievable. Epic failure. Get on it Sonos.
It works fine with hundreds or thousands of other TVs, but it is Sonos' fault that it doesn't work with the best TV available? Seems unlikely, but what do I know.
Just bought the LG OLED 55 Inch - OLED55B7A - no sound from TV. Have tried every step - nothing. Remote works fine - figured that out via forums so thanks. Works for music, so I guess I just have a soundbar under my TV for music - haha. Sales people recommended this product too & have no idea of this epic failure. Wanted to surprise my preggo wife about to go on maternity leave with this purchase - now I'm just F'ing pissed - typing this up. Sonos, any opportunity here to get this fixed or am I just returning this product?
Since you're pressed for time on this, I'd highly recommend calling in to Sonos and having them walk through it with you. I can't imagine that there's any issue with the TV that can't be gotten around by appropriate settings. You can find your local regions contact information at www.sonos.com/contact Waiting for a response here on these forums might put you in trouble with the wife.

Congrats on the new child!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Check the optical lead to tv and playbar are fully pressed in, you have to press quite hard.
Set tv to output pcm stereo only via optical, just to get some sound working first.
Found these settings somewhere else on the forum. Worked for my LG 55EG9600 OLED which is the 2015 model.

Part 1:
1) Click the home button on your magic remote and scroll along the bottom (where Netflix, etc is) until you get to a purple icon "device connector"
3) Select done

Part 2:
5) Select remote control set up and follow the prompts using your "Phillips" magic remote
Great tip. Works in my case. Thank you!
Hi together
It seems that I am one of these victims too who can't use the volume buttons on the LG remote to set the volume. Using only for this the sonos app on the smartphone can't be the solution. So I tried above solutions.
Now my biggest problem is, that I should select soundbar and then the Philips brand. However, I can't find any soundbar brand to select in the soundbar menu. What is going wrong here?
Pls help. I'm really upset and consider giving back this LG TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Look into getting a harmony remote.
You would be absolutely nuts to get rid of this fantastic tv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@Paulw123
Tks for your reply. I meanwhile found in another thread here a work around.

It seems, that Swiss and Austrian customers of LG TV's can NOT choose a playbar manufacturer in the setup of the LG TV. It is only possible when they change the country setting of their TV to another country such as UK, Germany or so. That is really hard to believe! Of course no one can choose Sonos there because the victims of the war between Sonos and LG are, WE, the consumers. But at least they can choose another playbar such as Philips and then you can use the LG remote to set the volume. Unbelievable, but true.
Badge

Part 1:
3) Select done

Part 2:
Badge
Great :D
Worked in 1. attempt
So something some people are not noticing on their remotes. On the setup of the play bar where it needs you to use the vol + at the playbar wont work because your magic remote might be the model that does not have IR on it and the play at is waiting for an IR signal. I am in this crowd, I have a B6P LG OLED that comes with AN-MR600 model remote which is RF only. I also have the newer AN-MR700 which is IR and RF and it does indeed work with the play bar but getting it fully set up with the tv is another story in itself.