LG C9 + Arc + UB820 / Multichannel PCM for DTS Blu-Ray discs

Show first post

320 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Pretty sure this would be a fix across the board. Two members have confirmed this appears to be the resolution on both a CX and C9 so i don’t see why a B9 would be any different.

I’m getting nowhere with LG/Panasonic support (panasonics is the worst - seem to just be ignoring that this is an issue) so have gone ahead myself and ordered a DR HDMI 4K. 

I would be interested to find out if anybody with a non LG TV had this working. So an AG9 > UB820 > Sonos Arc setup or similar. We already know that the oppo units work fine with LG but for some reason panasonic setup creates an EDID issue

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Does anyone know whether the same solution works for other LG 9 versions, such as the B9? I’m having the same problem with the B9 - although I’m still not tempted by getting the HDFury, it’d be good to know it’s not restricted to just C9s.

Thanks for confirming, mine hasn’t arrived yet but your update is reassuring! I’ll confirm it works for the GX when I get it.

My current setup is the UB820-LG CX-Sonos Arc and I hope DR HDMI works for your GX! I will look into buying one if it does. I finally got my Sonos Arc last week and one of the main reasons was because of its ability to convert DTS into PCM 5.1/7.1. Pretty disappointing to know the UB820 and LG CX don’t get along well :( Currently I’m using an Xbox One X when it’s a DTS track Blu Ray but it would be nice to use just one Blu Ray Player!

Badge

Thanks for confirming, mine hasn’t arrived yet but your update is reassuring! I’ll confirm it works for the GX when I get it.

Great thanks for the update I'll order mine today then. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

My HDFury DR HDMI 4K arrived today!

Happily, as expected, the device works to address the issue between the 820-LG C9-Sonos Arc. I have set the unit to the 4K max mode EDID. “Green 1 – 4k60-444-600M-HDR-BT2020-3D-FULLAUDIO” - 820 is set to DTS → PCM and Dolby to pass through. All of the media I tested before (see earlier in this thread) played exactly the same way. Dolby Atmos passed through the LG with TrueHD to the Sonos Arc. DTS Master HD and DTSX both were converted to PCM. For 5.1/7.1, they show up on the Sonos as Multichannel PCM 7.1. 2.0 DTS shows as 2 Channel PCM.

Picture is correct for Dolby Vision and HDR and looks great both for 4K native sources (Hobbit & Psycho) and upsampled 1080p and 1080i Blu-ray discs.

So, for me, this $99 (+ shipping) unit handles the handshake issues for at least the C9. Hopefully someone will verify this also works on the CX models too. The Arcana seems to be overkill for the problem (and I will try to sell mine on eBay at some point). 

I will do more experimenting when I have time on the weekend to see how other settings work.

Laird 

Badge

Hi all I've sent LG and Panasonic an email about the problem with a link to this topic. Can anybody confirm the the hd fury Dr hdmi 4k works? 

Setup is LG c9

Ubp 820

Sonos arc

Thanks for any help 😉

I’ve got a GX, arc, and ub820ebk and have ordered a dr hdmi 4k, which is cheaper than the Arcana. Will update this thread when I’ve tested it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just want to say this thread has been really useful to read, as I’m having the exact same problems.

Spoke to LG about it and they said:

Panasonic gave an even more abrupt ‘not our problem to solve’ response:

Hi all I've sent LG and Panasonic an email about the problem with a link to this topic. Can anybody confirm the the hd fury Dr hdmi 4k works? 

Setup is LG c9

Ubp 820

Sonos arc

Thanks for any help 😉

Userlevel 2

Anyone received any reply from Panasonic or (more preferably) LG on this that wasn’t just them denying it being a software issue or claiming it isn’t meant to be able to convert to multi channel PCM?

If people could share what they wrote to LG and Panasonic, then others that would otherwise not bother writing their own emails might then at least do a copy-paste job to them? More emails might increase the odds of rectifying the issue.

Badge

@Chetiya According to the LG website, the latest firmware update only enhances the picture quality.

Thanks, had a feeling it wouldn’t do. Guess it’s the HDfury DrHDMI 4k for me then. 

Userlevel 7

@Chetiya According to the LG website, the latest firmware update only enhances the picture quality.

Badge

Hi all, just stumbled on this thread which seems relevant to me as I’m getting a UB820EB. Does anyone know if the latest LG CX / GX firmware 03.21.16 which just came out helps with the issue of passing through multichannel pcm?

@swoopie On your Sony player, when watching a DTS-encoded disc, set Digital Audio Output to PCM. And go ahead and set both BD Secondary Audio and Audio DRC to Off.

Because your TV doesn’t support eARC, it will not be able to pass through lossless multichannel PCM. But the Arcana will allow you to bypass your TV and send audio straight to the Arc.

@GuitarSuperstar damn that was fast :thumbsup_tone1: Thanks! Will try this as soon as my ARC arrives (around 19 Feb :scream: ), or perhaps I can already view the output settings somewhere. Will check it out!

Userlevel 7

@swoopie On your Sony player, when watching a DTS-encoded disc, set Digital Audio Output to PCM. And go ahead and set both BD Secondary Audio and Audio DRC to Off.

EDIT: Also set DTS Neo:6 to Off and Downmix to Surround.

Because your TV doesn’t support eARC, it will not be able to pass through lossless multichannel PCM. But the Arcana will allow you to bypass your TV and send audio straight to the Arc.

I also have the same setup. Instead of losing more hair, I finally gave up and purchased the Sony UBPX700, which also has Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.  It’s very inexpensive and it works. I am now getting LPCM 5.1/7.1 when playing DTS discs.  Until the issue is fixed, I will use the Panasonic for Dolby encoded discs and the Sony for DTS encoded discs.

Hi pdedmon,

Just new to this forum, with a Sonos ARC underway, I was getting worried about my Bluray collection with DTS tracks (and potentially new 4K Blurays with DTS). Just bought a Sony UBP-X700 as well, so I was very happy to see your post. Can you tell me which settings you had to change on the Sony to get it to output LPCM and have it working with the ARC?

I might have an additional challenge as my Philips TV does not support eARC, but I’m looking into the HDFury Arcana for that.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Interestingly some guy on Reddit owns a CX and said that

“If you set the TV earc to passthrough and then unplug the TV from power for a few seconds. It will start miraculously playing whatever the number of channels you expect.”

I haven’t got round to testing it yet

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I agree with the frustration (and am on a similar timeline on returning the 820). But the picture is great, and there really aren’t any other players I prefer. The Sony ones require manual switching Dolby Vision. The LG one cannot send out PCM for just DTS - it’s all audio or none. The Samsung and Oppos are not made any longer.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

This issue is so frustrating!  I submit a long email about this to both LG and Panasonic and linked this thread hoping that one of the 2 (more likely LG) could fix this with firmware.  I have until Feb 7th to refund this UB820 UHD player and I’m still thinking about doing so and just going back to using an Xbox to play my blu rays but I really love the clarity and the Dolby Vision support with the player so I’m so distraught over this on what I should do.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks for that link. Yeah, sounds like it might be the issue with sampling frequency still not correct. Maybe an easy fix if LG wants to do it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

That is interesting and led me to the following article. Pretty much confirms it to be a HDMI/CEC “EDID?” issue rather than something wrong with the Panasonic, or an incorrect setting on the CX.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I chatted with HDFury’s team on their Discord server. Basically, I am using the Arcana, as I thought, just like a DR HDMI 4K - basically the way I have set it up is only fixing the EDID problem causing the handshake issue. According to the person who responded, my set up is fine to use it this way. 

Obviously, $100 more expensive is not ideal (Arcana vs. DR HDMI 4K), but again, at least it all works until we get a true fix from LG (or Panasonic if they can fix it on their end). 

I think for now, my solution is to use my PS5 for DTS discs. I am able to get 5.1/7.1 surround for DTS discs in the PS5 without any issues. PS5 doesn't support Dolby Vision but I realized that none of my DTS discs are Dolby Vision so this shouldn't be an issue, especially since most new Dolby Vision releases have an Atmos track.

This way, I can return the $200 Arcana and am able to enjoy the CX’s auto-switching capabilities. My only gripe is that I have to switch from Game mode to Cinema mode on the PS5 when I play a disc but oh well. Maybe once the PS5 is updated to support Instant Game Response, then this minor inconvenience will be taken care of.

I’m hopeful that LG will eventually fix the LPCM handshake issue with the Panasonic but I won’t count on it and I can’t spend any more time worrying about this. Time to enjoy my TV!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Unfortunately this solution has created a new issue for me.

Now that I have the Panasonic connected to the HDMI IN port of the Arcana and the Arcana connected to the CX (HDMI 4) via its HDMI OUT port, I am having a very frustrating issue with CEC.

Oh no! Bummer. I cannot say I have played around enough to test it so I could have the same issue.

I think it has something to do with the TV recognizing that the Arcana is connected to it and that’s creating an issue for some reason. Normally, I am able to rename the HDMI ports but with this setup, it shows the HDMI 4 icon as a switcher and named it “UNKNOWN” without the ability to rename it (it does not show up in the list when you go to rename HDMI inputs).

I did see this too. The Panasonic auto set the name to “DVD Player” and has a switcher icon. I cannot rename it. I did not think much about that, but I see it too.

Looks like it’s back to the drawing board for me. I wish LG would just fix this issue.

I was looking at the HDFury site again and wondering if the DR HD 4K ($99) would do the same fix as the Arcana, but I think it pretty much strips out HDCP so I am guessing the Panasonic would choke on that.

Does anyone know how to submit bugs to Panasonic, Sonos and LG? We probably should all be doing this.

Unfortunately this solution has created a new issue for me.

Now that I have the Panasonic connected to the HDMI IN port of the Arcana and the Arcana connected to the CX (HDMI 4) via its HDMI OUT port, I am having a very frustrating issue with CEC.

Normally, my CX will auto switch between my Apple TV (HDMI 1), PS5 (HDMI 3), and Panasonic (HDMI 4) without any issues. However, after connecting the Panasonic to the Arcana and the Arcana to the CX, I first had an issue where the CX would not auto switch to the PS5. Never had this issue before. At this point, it would still auto switch between the Apple TV and Panasonic.

After a few switches between the Apple TV and the Panasonic, however, it would not even auto switch between those two devices. I think it has something to do with the TV recognizing that the Arcana is connected to it and that’s creating an issue for some reason. Normally, I am able to rename the HDMI ports but with this setup, it shows the HDMI 4 icon as a switcher and named it “UNKNOWN” without the ability to rename it (it does not show up in the list when you go to rename HDMI inputs).

I spent some time testing different CEC settings on the TV and devices but the issue actually got worse. At one point, the CX was auto switching back to the Panasonic even when I would manually select the Apple TV.

I tried unplugging all of the HDMI cables and replugging them in 1 by 1. This didn’t help. Finally I did a hard reset of the CX and started plugging HDMI inputs back in. Started with Sonos Arc in HDMI 2, then Apple TV in HDMI 1, and PS5 in HDMI 3. I tested the auto switching at this point and everything was working flawlessly like it normally does.

Then I plugged the Arcana/Panasonic back into HDMI 4 and was happy to see that the auto switching was working as expected for all 3 devices. But then I turned the TV off and back on and the same issue that I was having before started again. First no auto switching to the PS5, then no auto switching at all.

I did a hard reset once again and followed the same steps as above. This time, however, I plugged the Panasonic directly into HDMI 4 without using the Arcana. Now I am able to auto switch between all 3 devices without any issues and this continued to function correctly even when I turned the TV off and back on.

Sigh. I hate that in order to solve the DTS issue, it cost $230 and created another new issue with CEC that I never had before. I even told myself that I could live without the auto switching (even though I am very used to it and appreciate that feature) but then I realized that I can’t live with the CEC auto switching to the Panasonic even when I manually select another device.

Looks like it’s back to the drawing board for me. I wish LG would just fix this issue.