Answered

LG C8 and Sonos Arc always showing as stereo 2.0.

Hi, I’ve recently set up my Sonos Arc, I have an LG C8, I know I won’t get true Atmos due to only using the arc port as the C8 doesn’t have earc 

i tried Netflix and Disney+ programmes but everything on the Sonos app suggested the Arc is in Stereo 2.0

Ive tried changing the TV to Auto and Digital Plus, but neither seem to make a difference 

has anyone else experienced this?

thanks

icon

Best answer by mpfl 30 July 2020, 02:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @gcsg1.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to share with you this link inside the Sonos community that discusses the same topic as you have.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

hi Paul

Thanks for the reply,  but the link won't let me view a preview discussion?

Whats the topic  called or question its unde

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @gcsg1.

Thanks for the feedback.

The title of the topic is Sony Android TV KD75X8000G + Sonos Arc. The topic may have some key points that you may want to consider trying out even if you guys have different TVs. It may work.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi Paul

Thanks for this

As far as I'm aware the LG C8 TV should passthrough DD5.1, 

I just want to get the most out of my Arc soundboard

That's why I'm trying to see if the Sonos app should indicate its playing DD5.1 when, as am example  im watching Atmos through Netflix app on my TV

As it always indicates Stereo 2.0im not sure and just confused 

And to be honest a little disappointed 

Any help would be appreciated 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @gcsg1.

Thanks for the immediate response. 

I would like to recommend rebooting the TV, unplug the device from power and plug it back after 10-15 seconds. After the TV is done rebooting, reboot the Arc doing the same thing unplug from power and plug it back to power. once everything is good, submit a diagnostic while we have audio coming out of the Sonos Arc to be able to check what is the Arc receiving from the TV.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi

ive submitted a diagnostic #61147218

i was playing the Witcher on Netflix

thankd

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @gcsg1.

Thank you for submitting a diagnostic and for the immediate response.

I would .like to share with you the information found on the diagnostic. Based on the submitted diagnostic, You have the Sonos Arc and no other Sonos devices. As the diagnostic indicated, it is only showing a 2.0 signal being captured since there are no Sonos Sub and Sonos surrounds speakers bonded to it. the Sonos Arc would only be able to interpret a 2.0 signal even if you are watching Dolby Digital 5.1 since there are no other speakers that would interpret the data from the TV.

I hope this helps and clarifies everything. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out is you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi, I’ve recently set up my Sonos Arc, I have an LG C8, I know I won’t get true Atmos due to only using the arc port as the C8 doesn’t have earc 

i tried Netflix and Disney+ programmes but everything on the Sonos app suggested the Arc is in Stereo 2.0

Ive tried changing the TV to Auto and Digital Plus, but neither seem to make a difference 

has anyone else experienced this?

thanks

Have you turned on CEC. On LGs I think it is called simplink?

Hi Silverthorn

Thanks for the reply

Yes Simp link is set to on

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi Silverthorn

Thanks for the reply

Yes Simp link is set to on

Must be something in the menu. I would have a look at some other settings perhaps. 

To be clear, you are talking about Netflix on the TV? Not some other device connected to it? Netflix should be mostly Dolby surround of some kind.

@gcsg1

You are most likely in the same boat as the rest of LG TV owners who bought a Sonos Arc.  What year LG do you have?  You don’t need eARC for DD+ Atmos.  It works also via hdmi arc on LG atmos enabled TVs (year 2017) as DD+ and shows up in the Sonos app as Dolby Atmos.   I have one and it works.  For TrueHD etc you need eArc.   Streaming services are using DD+ according to more knowledgeable posters.

But I also have a 2020 LG model as do many others with eArc and apparently they have released a firmware update that messes up lpcm and the Sonos arc doesn’t support lpcm yet but it is promised.  There are multiple threads on this. The Sonos Arc lpcm update was also confirmed by a Sonos Moderator that it is in development.

Sorry it is not better news.

Hi thanks for the reply

Its a 2018 model 

I'll just have to wait and see what happens then

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me orca setting i could change

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

diagnostic, You have the Sonos Arc and no other Sonos devices. As the diagnostic indicated, it is only showing a 2.0 signal being captured since there are no Sonos Sub and Sonos surrounds speakers bonded to it. the Sonos Arc would only be able to interpret a 2.0 signal even if you are watching Dolby Digital 5.1 since there are no other speakers that would interpret the data from the TV.

I don’t agree with this statement at all. If you feed a 5.1 signal into a Sonos HT device, the system will say it is a 5.1 signal regardless of whether surround speakers are connected or not.

The usual reason for a 2.0 signal instead of 5.1 is TVs blocking pass-through over optical, which can usually be fixed with an EDID manager.

I have an LG C8 with an Arc as well. In the C8 Sound settings you can set the HDMI ARC output to be either Auto or PCM. I’ve found that it will only output Stereo 2.0 when set to PCM. Auto provides a proper surround stream.

Hi @Lyricist I

thanks for the advise, I didn’t realise there was another setting under the HDMI arc, it was set to PCM, so changed it to Auto and it’s fixed the issue

cheers

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @gcsg1.

Thanks for the feedback and immediate response.

We’re glad to hear everything is now working based on your expectation.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

I have an LG C8 with an Arc as well. In the C8 Sound settings you can set the HDMI ARC output to be either Auto or PCM. I’ve found that it will only output Stereo 2.0 when set to PCM. Auto provides a proper surround stream.

That fixed it on my OLED55C8PTA thanks!  After setting to auto, when viewing in the Sonos app it now says Dolby Atmos is being used. I had actually looked at that setting which was set to PCM but didn’t change it because I thought given there was only one choice it wouldn’t make a difference, but it did. Was also getting very worried the C8 wouldn’t work because I read that LG provided a firmware fix for the C9 and eARC, and there was no mention of C8s.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Harlen.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for your feedback.

We’re glad to hear everything is now working based on your expectation. I do hope you continue to love and enjoy your Sonos.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

I just had an issue where my LG OLED E7 which has been working perfectly with my Arc with Atmos (DD+) since I got the Arc, suddenly refused to go higher than DD+ 2.0 from any source (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Apple+).

No idea why, but the solution was to simply reboot the Arc (unplug/replug).