Question

LG 65UF860V 5.1 passthrough problem

• 7 June 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge
I bought the Playbar + 2x Play 1 to see if it would work with my TV. I have my PC, Xbox and PS4 connected to the TV via HDMI and the TV connected to the Playbar with optical cable.

I'm still not sure if the TV passes 5.1 or only stereo. The only option in the PC sound settings is stereo, so either it's because the TV only broadcasts stereo or because the computer only registers the TV which is stereo. On my normal AV receiver system the PC detects the receiver so it will let me choose between 7.2, 5.1, 2.1 etc. On the consoles it's difficult to tell if it's true surround or simulated. I tried testing with some games, but I can't be sure. I need to do more tests.

I set the TV to Optical/HDMI ARC and PCM (and I can choose between Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus), but maybe I forgot something? It's a shame because I really like the system and the extended stereo (simulated surround) works fine for all stereo sources. It's also fine for movies. It's mostly for games I need surround. If anyone has an LG TV I would really like to hear your thoughts.

Edit: It's meant to be a question

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge
I tried connecting the PC directly to the Playbar with optical and changed the format from DTS to DD in the computers sound settings, but no sounds are coming through safe for the test sounds in the settings. I also tried an old Creative 5.1 USB soundcard I used to use for an older setup. It has both analog and optical outputs. Now there's sound again and there's an option for 5.1 in the sound settings, but when testing it with the default method (each speaker makes a sound while a visual overview shows which one is supposed to make a sound) only the two front speakers in the Playbar made a sound. It's like Sonos doesn't recognize more than stereo. There're older threads where people seemed to have worked out these issues but it's not clear to me how they did it. Any advice is appreciated!
Hi Xerophthalmia

Don't worry about analyzing it on the computer right now, forgive me if you are already aware, you can see the signal the PLAYBAR is receiving at any given moment in real time by looking at "about my system" within "settings" inside the SONOS App and scrolling to the room the PLAYBAR is in and it will show a value for "Audio In:" . This will confirm what the PLAYBAR is receiving.

Normally on your TV you would set the digital sound output to "auto" => Sound-> Sound Out->Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)->Digital Sound Out->Auto . Then on the devices connected to the TV, their respective HDMI audio out settings would need to be set to Dolby D/ Dolby Digital/Bitstream/Auto depending upon the device. On a PS4 it would normally be "bitstream" on the xbox it's either bitstream or uncompressed 5.1 The TV model should pass Dolby D from the HDMI inputs to the Optical Out.

We can also see what the playbar is receiving from a Diagnostic number, if you post one we can check the Sonos Components are correctly setup.

Do let us know how you get on
Badge
I didn't know that, thank you. I'll try it out.
Badge
I haven't had a chance to try out t you suggested untill now, but setting the PS4 to Bitstream (Dolby) and the TV to Optical/HDMI ARC > Auto and to Dolby Digital made DD5.1 work, for the PS4 at least. Both according to "About My System" in the settings and to my own ears. Thank you so much!
There's no sound from the PC at all though so I have to figure out whats going on. It worked last time so it should work now but somehow it doesn't. Since the TV passes the sound through just fine to the PS4, the problem should be with the PC.

Edit:
The PC works now but just in stereo. It's fine for now but I will try and get the surround to work. The PC only detects the TV which is stereo and I can't force out 5.1 like the Playstation does. It would be great if it could though.