LAG!

• 18 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Spent 2k on an arc, 2 surround and the bass and the lag is so bad i have to set it to pcm stereo. Wasre of money time and aggravation!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do you have a question or are you just venting? If you do want help please tell us about your system. What TV? What settings?

The Sonos Arc clearly works fine for many thousands of people and their TV’s - but like any surround HT setup, it can only play the audio as soon as the TV can send it. There is ‘virtually’ no audio buffering done on the speaker that would cause lag. 

If the TV is processing the audio itself and delaying it, then it’s a fault with the TV - perhaps try its settings on audio-passthrough, or if that isn’t supported by the TV, then bypass the TV’s processor/ports altogether, with an audio extractor, as mentioned in this and some TV/HT/Soundbar manufacturer forums.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I get this sometimes, especially with Sky F1 UHD and BBC iPlayer (after pressing green button) to watch from beginning. The sound is slightly delayed, I am sure its due to broadcaster processing live feed.

My solution, as there is nothing I can do about it, as I cant delay the picture, is to look at the eyes when someone is talking, don’t focus on the mouth.

I get this sometimes, especially with Sky F1 UHD and BBC iPlayer (after pressing green button) to watch from beginning. The sound is slightly delayed, I am sure its due to broadcaster processing live feed.

My solution, as there is nothing I can do about it, as I cant delay the picture, is to look at the eyes when someone is talking, don’t focus on the mouth.

Have you tried by-passing the TV, either with its pass-through option (if available), or with an audio extractor, to see if it resolves your issue?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Have you tried by-passing the TV, either with its pass-through option (if available), or with an audio extractor, to see if it resolves your issue?

Yes. I’m convinced its a ‘live’ broadcast issue on my setup. Have a read here:

https://static.skyassets.com/contentstack/assets/bltdc2476c7b6b194dd/bltcdf62fae07260e00/5b069de7344ad0d40f77f5bf/Lip-Sync%20Investigation%20and%20Management.%20Operational%20Guide%20-%20Version%201%20-%20External.pdf

Yes. I’m convinced its a ‘live’ broadcast issue on my setup. Have a read here:

https://static.skyassets.com/contentstack/assets/bltdc2476c7b6b194dd/bltcdf62fae07260e00/5b069de7344ad0d40f77f5bf/Lip-Sync%20Investigation%20and%20Management.%20Operational%20Guide%20-%20Version%201%20-%20External.pdf

An interesting read, thanks for the link. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try switching to optical (neither of those channels do more than DD 5.1) and see if that helps. You haven’t said which TV you have, but too many mess with the audio signal when sending it out over ARC. Less of them mess with the optical path.