Answered

It's 2016! Make PlayBar Gen 2 for DTS / Fix Aux for Play 5 GEN 2

• 7 February 2016
  • 56 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Sadly, they would make a ton more money. I would buy 2 right now if I could. @Bysshe
Userlevel 1
Hope Sonos reads this: I'm not buying a playbar until it has DTS. Why would I buy an obsolete playbar for my OLED TV? Release the playbar 2, and I'm stocking my house with your products with the playbar as the first item.

I also registered a forum account just to communicate this.
Userlevel 3
Badge
All, you are correct. What I meant by "the apple of speakers" is the level of quality and detail. Ironically, Apple's HiFi and Airplay is not great (I tried it all before going to Sonos)

I can agree with the DTS portion about the licensing fees. If they could allow HDMI to pass through the speaker or have something that makes 5.1 easier to work with, that would be great. I would love to see some announcement in regards to the soundbar. They were smart by saying something about the new play 5's and I waited the entire time for them to come out and got them. I think it would prevent driving crazy if they made some kind of dabble announcement in regards to a new playbar. Ironically, I would still buy it even though I have one. the other soundbar would be mounted in my bedroom with some other extra speakers that I have.

In regards to Tiago, yes I was very annoyed when it did not state that anywhere. I thought I was losing my mind when I tried the AUX. When I disconnected them from the 5.1 setup, the AUX showed up. I was like WTF lol. I know this could be a simple fix and hopefully they care about the feedback. To tell me to buy a 3rd speaker would drive me insane. I'm glad I got 2 of them each for 449 tax free.
The Apple of speakers? I hope not! The iPod HiFi speaker was a disaster for Apple.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Hi-Fi
Userlevel 1
you are the Apple of Speakers when it comes to terms of quality and sound.
But isn't trying to lock everything down part of Apple's business model too? : )

The DTS issue. I understand that over time, this may have not seemed like a big deal. You have to understand everything is moving to 1080p - 2160p and 4k. Audio is moving towards that direction also.

I'm guessing this is mostly about licen$ing fees or the cost for Sonos to put this into the software. Whatever Sonos uses to assemble its sound also might not mesh very well with DTS. There could also be reluctance by DTS to engage in the wireless audio biz since it would be a different way of delivering content for them. They might also be concerned about content security. Just speculating on all of these things, of course.

I personally would love to see Sonos deliver DTS content, but gave up on it a while ago when the cheaper options just became to darn easy. I still hold out hope though. I've got lots of speaker cables I'd love to get rid of.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Well I guess every passionate SONOS user will agree with your demands! I was very frustrated to find out that the AUX is disabled when PLAY:5 Gen 2 is added as surround, I’ve made a thread here and got some explanation (https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/it-possible-to-use-the-line-on-a-home-theater-setup-6735262). What I managed to do is that I had another PLAY:5 Gen 2 on other room I used its AUX port and I can select in what room I want to play the AUX port, it woked for me this way, but you need an extra speaker 😕.

About DTS is the only thing that keeps me from being 100% happy with my SONOS system. I have a lot of DTS content and my tv passes through DTS, thank god that it also converts to PCM so I don’t get “no sound”, but its stereo 😕.

I tend to believe that SONOS is working on a new playbar with DTS support, if not they would be left behind by competition. It would be also a good idea to make a new connect, or something, so we could use for example 3xSONOS PLAY:5s as Center, Right, Left and 2xSONOS Play:1s as Surround speakers or any other combination.

Well, we can just hope that we invested our money on the correct system and that they will handle DTS with time. A statement that SONOS is working on it would be nice, but as I’ve read before they do not comment on future products or features.

Thanks for your post!

+1 for your requests!