Answered

It's 2016! Make PlayBar Gen 2 for DTS / Fix Aux for Play 5 GEN 2

• 7 February 2016
  • 56 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Its a shame TV can't be the hub as it makes the most sense when it comes to having the various HDMI inputs and then single audio needed.

Otherwise you have to have an external box to do the switching. Either purchase and HDMI switch or if the SUPER CONNECT was an HDMI switcher.

I think to avoid future compatibility problems and external switch with toslink extractor would work best - feeding a SUPER CONNECT which has a toslink input and and HDMI input/passthrough. Then the super connect feed the various speakers in the house audio channels up to at least 7.1.
Ah, good point. I don't think I know of any TVs (not that I've paid attention) that have an HDMI out. But sure, TOSLINK is limited, and that's what SONOS implemented.

Thanks for nudging my thought process another step.

I can see it now...the Playbar as the new HDMI switcher, with 64 HDMI ports in the back (and people complaining that they need 65), and one out to the TV.

So, there's no easy answer, is there, at least right now. There needs to be a large scale change in the way TVs provide an output that is "big" enough to carry DTS. And all of them need to be the same, not 14 different kinds. No wonder SONOS is hanging on to TOSLINK. I'll be it was hard enough to get some of those TV companies to include that. And then end up having to work with those (cough-Samsung-cough) who aren't sticking with the appropriate rules.

Thanks, Chris.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think licensing costs is the issue. The issue is how it was designed.

The standard that TV manufacturers were supposed to go by was that toslink output on TV in DD5.1 should be followed. Playbar was designed with this standard in mind. Unfortunately the standard really never got implemented across brands properly or uniformly. Therefore, work arounds bypassing the TV had to become the norm - and there is where you get issues as if your bypassing the TV as the hub for sound then DD5.1 isn't always the output type.

Now we know people have gone more toward the HDMI audio route with the various competing standards for audio (with DTS as most popular for bluray).

Yep - the playbar is in need of a replacement. But its not Sonos cheaping out - its the way designed and for reason.
I do have a question.

What's the licensing cost for HDMI? Is the cost significantly more than TOSLINK, or are both zero at this point?

And of course, that goes with:

What's the licensing cost for DTS versus Dolby Digital? Is there an increased amount of processing power that is required to do the decoding?

In my wild imagination, there probably is, and this would cause a company like SONOS to be careful about when they want to upgrade their hardware. Granted, for most of us on these boards, the difference is probably a few dollars/pounds/francs, etc, but if I were making the decision as a Product Manager for SONOS, I'd be looking extremely hard at the demographic of who are the majority of buyers. I wouldn't be looking too hard at the outliers (those of us who post here on these boards). It's much the same in the Gaming space that I work in. I pay less attention to the vocal minority (but not none, for heaven's sake) and more to the larger average consumer, and why they purchase/use the product.

I'm willing to face the fact that what SONOS is in business to make money, and make decisions about their coding and hardware resources that don't necessarily align with my personal wants or desires. Sure, life would be better if they'd just listen to me, and do what I said, but honestly, I'm constantly amused at the posts here that say "this is simple, just do it", without (seemingly) realizing that there are obviously limited resources at SONOS, and their priority is likely the next big feature. I'm pretty sure that currently is the Voice feature that's been discussed, but I'm not an insider. This is the way every company I've ever worked for functions. Some portion of the resources are set aside for current issues, and another portion for future efforts.

That being said, I'd be delighted to pony up for two new PlayBars that have HDMI inputs, and did DTS decoding. But I don't think my $1500 isn't going to sway SONOS if 90% of their user base doesn't feel the need for it, and might balk at the initial purchase price if it were 5% higher than it is to cover those additional fees. So, I'm happy that people keep mentioning it here, and hope that at some point in time it becomes an issue that SONOS can devote some effort/time/money (all the same thing) to. Who knows, maybe they already are?

Which also leads into the "We won't talk about future roadmaps for software updates". An intelligent, albeit frustrating stance. There's been many a time where I've been in a development cycle on software and have had an issue that caused the intended release date to slip. Given how the majority of people react to that kind of thing, it does not surprise me in the least that they prefer not to get roasted because of unexpected issues. It's ultimately easier to get roasted for the one policy of not publishing a roadmap than get lambasted for slipping a timeline on feature after promised feature. Sure, it's painful on our side, but I certainly get it from their side.

Sorry, I've had this thought in my mind for quite a while while perusing these boards on a daily basis, looking at both the large number of posts of people who can't do a simple search, or even look at the topics presented in front of them, as well as the incredibly kind and thoughtful members who make a sincere and intelligent effort to assist folks who are having issues, with a substantial amount of success. And of course, I'd never be able to post these thoughts in any of the boards I've been "responsible" for in my line of work, either, so it's nice to get them off of my chest.

And if anyone does have knowledge about those licensing costs, or where I could find out about them, I'd actually be quite interested.
Fair comment
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It's 2016 RIP soundbars. Long live wireless 7.1.
It has had its day , and i bet there are many hundreds world wide will not buy one while speculation continues , my lad has one ill go without for now
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I actually like the looks of the Playbar.

I don't know sales wise if it justifies them investing in another. Personally I would like to see them create a SUPER CONNECT box that actually will allow 7.1 audio directing to 7 different regular Sonos Plays.

Can you imagine the implications for - especially for those with Projectors where they have difficulty hooking to 5.1 sources wirelessly.

I think the Playbar days are numbered at some point.
While everybody is going on about connectivity , do you not agree the looks need freshening up , i dont like the look or feel , the material is a right dust collector as opposed to perferated steel grill like whats on all its other speakers , if i have to wait 10 years then so be it , TV technology and size has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years . Sonos needs to listen to its customers needs ,
Sonos have never given any indication that there will ever be a gen2 Playbar
I need one sound bar as well but holding for gem 2 since last year. feel really sorry for myself for how long I had waited. In india they say If you wait the end is very sweet.But in soundbar case I dont think it is going to be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I will buy the GEN2 playbar the day it is released....very sad that it is taking so long....

Given there's never been any indication Sonos are even working on a new Playbar I wouldn't bother waiting, buy a different soundbar that meets your requirements.

Fully agree. If you are wanting surround sound for your TV and film viewing and don't believe the Playbar is for you (No DTS support, only 1 optical in, No Dolby Digital +, No 7.1 or 9.1 support......) then you would be sensible to tread a different path much as it pains me to suggest.

But it is positive that your research has lead you here and you are able to make an informed choice before your purchase. You'd be crazy to wait for Sonos to introduce a Gen 2 Playbar - Even if they did then it probably wouldn't do all the things you want.

Good luck with your choice of surround system. It certainly makes a big difference to your audio enjoyment.
I will buy the GEN2 playbar the day it is released....very sad that it is taking so long....

Given there's never been any indication Sonos are even working on a new Playbar I wouldn't bother waiting, buy a different soundbar that meets your requirements.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I would love to get rid of all my bulky AV system and replace it with Sonos components but I won't while it still has the major drawbacks that it does.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Clueless?

Have to say I'm in exactly the same boat as voxframe. I'm looking to purchase a 5.1 system for my media player and lack of DTS and HDMI means that I'm going to have to go with a competitor if I don't see something comparable from Sonos within the next month or so.

Based on my research so far, they've been leapfrogged by one or two competitors and so far their only response has been to sue them. I'd rather see them come out with a better product! :-/

The only thing holding me back still is how it works still. I guarantee they would sell more. Many of friends want to go on the sonos train, but the lack of modern ports is a problem for them.
Userlevel 1
Clueless?

Have to say I'm in exactly the same boat as voxframe. I'm looking to purchase a 5.1 system for my media player and lack of DTS and HDMI means that I'm going to have to go with a competitor if I don't see something comparable from Sonos within the next month or so.

Based on my research so far, they've been leapfrogged by one or two competitors and so far their only response has been to sue them. I'd rather see them come out with a better product! 😕
Agreed with the OP.

Sonos needs to start updating their flawed product lineup. They burst through the gates with the current series, despite massive flaws, but now they need to smarten up and get with the user demands if they hope to stay current.

The SOUNDBAR needs to be revamped entirely. HDMI inputs are a MUST. DTS is a MUST. Pairing with other speakers and connect components is a must. Aux and SUB ports need to work in every config. etc etc.

There will be a SOUNDBAR, SUB, and a mountain of speakers on ebay soon enough if they don't start getting with it in the coming months.

Sonos, your system is nice, but you're dropping the ball quickly.

How many times has this been posted over the past 10 years, lol. Same old nonsense by the clueless.
No, I don't.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I know Sonos is very hush hush about new products but do you guys think they are working on a playbar gen 2?
Never mind.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Agreed with the OP.

Sonos needs to start updating their flawed product lineup. They burst through the gates with the current series, despite massive flaws, but now they need to smarten up and get with the user demands if they hope to stay current.

The SOUNDBAR needs to be revamped entirely. HDMI inputs are a MUST. DTS is a MUST. Pairing with other speakers and connect components is a must. Aux and SUB ports need to work in every config. etc etc.

There will be a SOUNDBAR, SUB, and a mountain of speakers on ebay soon enough if they don't start getting with it in the coming months.

Sonos, your system is nice, but you're dropping the ball quickly.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The Apple of speakers? I hope not! The iPod HiFi speaker was a disaster for Apple.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Hi-Fi

Yep, that's why they are the Apple.... meaning they are getting it right and Apple is not the one implementing the tech. I remember my speakers would always drop out.
Userlevel 3
Badge
It's really the only thing I know that holds other Sonos users back. I have a few friends willing to invest into the entire echo system and they love the music. The lack of DTS is what's not winning them over @cson. If by Jan 2017 nothing is released, i'll dump my entire system on eBay. Other automated products are slowly working their way into the market. I was looking at a DTS thread that was over 3 years old earlier and has over 1200 responses...
As said in another thread: I'm really disappointed that my playbar plays crappy sound for my dts media. I can't believe that a premium brand where things just work does not have DTS support 😞