Issues with getting SURROUND SOUND TO PLAY DOLBY ATMOS. I keeping getting PCM 2.0

• 10 January 2022
  • 32 replies

Badge

I currently have a surround set up with the Sonos Arc and two SL ones and gen. 3 subwoofer. When I’m playing a movie with Dolby Atmos it is not showing in the sonos app that its  coming through as Dolby Atmos. Instead it is showing pcm 2.0.. I have my system playing through a Samsung QLED Tv model Q80 . This is driving me nuts!!! Any suggestions would ge appreciated! 

32 replies

Badge

Guitar superstar!! It worked!! Changed the audio settings on the Roku and its finally working!!!! Thank you everyone for your input !!! I can finally rest my brain. For now! Lol  I’m sure its something else that will drive me crazy with electronics!!! But i love it when it all works!! Appreciate it everyone!

Badge

I currently have the premium ultra HD plan with Netflix. I’ll try the native Netflix app on TV and Xbox. 

Badge

That’s actually a good idea!  I’ll have to double check my audio settings on the Roku. 

Userlevel 7

The Roku I’m using is Roku Streaming Stick 4K +. I have not changed any audio settings with the Roku. 

This is probably the problem. Change the audio settings on the Roku to Dolby Digital Plus.

NOTE: There is a chance that Dolby Atmos is not supported on Netflix on the Roku Streaming Stick+. Use the TV’s native Netflix app or the Netflix app on the Xbox instead. And you need a premium Netflix subscription.

Badge

The Roku I’m using is Roku Streaming Stick 4K +. I have not changed any audio settings with the Roku. 

Badge

My HDMI set up is. 

HDMI 1 open

HDMI 2 Roku 

HDMI 3 eArc Sonos ARC 

HDMI 4 Xbox Series X  

Userlevel 7

I use my apps through Roku system not the apps directly on the TV. 

Well this is useful information. Which specific model Roku device are you using? Have you changed the audio settings on the Roku to play Dolby Digital Plus audio?

Badge

I use my apps through Roku system not the apps directly on the TV. 

Userlevel 7

The content I’ve been trying is Disney + , Netflix , amazon prime. 

Are these the Samsung native tv apps or are you using an external media device (Apple TV, Fire TV Stick/Cube etc)

The picture setting above states Pass-Through is only supported when the source is HDMI, so has no impact if you’re using the Q80 in-built apps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

rtings.com says “ The Samsung Q80A supports Dolby audio formats, including Dolby Atmos via TrueHD through eARC. For it to work, enable HDMI-eARC Mode and set Digital Output Audio to 'Pass-Through'.

Badge

Thank you! I’ll try that tonight. 

Userlevel 7

Alright I tried using the HDMI cable that came with the Sonos ARC and still nothing. I tried playing The Tomorrow War movie from Amazon Prime and still showing PCM 2.0 on my sonos app. I even tried switching the sound setting to pass-through and nothing. I’m running out of ideas any more thoughts? 

Very odd. At the very least you should be getting Dolby Digital Plus audio.

Try this:

First, make sure the TV has the latest firmware installed. Then disconnect everything from the TV including the Arc. Unplug the TV and Arc from power for a couple of minutes. Plug them both back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Anynet+ (CEC) is enabled on your TV. Then run TV Setup in the Sonos app. When the app instructs you to, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC (HDMI 3) port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. When the Arc has been successfully connected, connect any other device you have to the TV. Set eARC to Auto and Digital Output Audio to Pass-Through (or Auto) and test again.

Badge

Alright I tried using the HDMI cable that came with the Sonos ARC and still nothing. I tried playing The Tomorrow War movie from Amazon Prime and still showing PCM 2.0 on my sonos app. I even tried switching the sound setting to pass-through and nothing. I’m running out of ideas any more thoughts? 

Yes, you must use an HDMI cable for Atmos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is it absolutely necessary to use the HDMI cable that with Sonos ARC? 

To verify it works? Yes. Using another cable just adds another possible problem to the mix. Of which there are many with getting Atmos playback to work. Once it works with their cable, THEN you can try a random 3rd party cable

Userlevel 7

I am able to select the Pass through option but that has not worked. I upgraded my HDMI cable. 

Use the cable that came with the Arc.

Badge

Is it absolutely necessary to use the HDMI cable that with Sonos ARC? 

Badge

I am able to select the Pass through option but that has not worked. I upgraded my HDMI cable. 

Userlevel 7

Is the Pass-Through option greyed out? If you set HDMI eARC to Auto, can you select Pass-Through? If not, try playing The Tomorrow War on Prime Video, and while it is playing, check if the Pass-Through option is available.

Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

A screenshot of what I get from guardians of the galaxy 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I do not use Samsung but my lgb8 tv plays dolby atmos (dd+) from Amazon Netflix and Disney +

I do not have earc just arc I am streaming from all sources on an apple tv 

As i said before it is not dolby atmos lossless as streaming services do not stream in full atmos just dd+

Badge

So I’m assuming that I will only get pcm 2.0 when I’m streaming a movie that has Dolby Atmos capabilities? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

If you are streaming most of your content it is in dd+ lossy atmos 

You do not need earc for dd+ arc will work ok for all streaming content 

Badge

I’ve tried enabling eArc on my Samsung Q80 (Qled) but ot still does not transmit Dolby Atmos. They recommend that you turn off the eArc which makes no sense to me.