Answered

Is playbar compatible with LG OLED TV

• 21 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi guys,

I am about to buy a Playbar and a LG OLED55B9PLA 55-Inch UK.

I wonder if they are compatible.

Many thanks

Pablo

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 25 March 2020, 21:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Does the TV have an optical output, and can it pass a Dolby Digital signal? If so, it’s compatible. 

There is a whole section of the forum dedicated to home theater, you may find more specific information about this TV in it. 

Thanks Bruce for your prompt response. Actually, I have been looking into the different discussions but the more I look the more confused I become

It would be great if Sonos could just clarify this but….

Thanks for the help @Airgetlam. Hello @pablojex. Welcome to the Community.  I looked up the specifications of your LG TV. It does support Dolby Digital, and the PCM audio format, as well as the rear optical out connection. So yes, your TV will work with the Playbar. Let me know if you have any questions moving forward. 

Thanks Richard, these are great news.

On a different issue, am I right that it is not possible to connect my IPhone iTunes to the Playbar?

Best wishes

Pablo

At this time, you cannot play music that is stored on your iPhone, or iPad on Sonos. You can still enjoy your purchased music through alternative methods such as Airplay, if you have an Airplay compatible speaker. You can find more information by viewing our article on the topic.

Note, Richard means AirPlay 2, and not AirPlay. No Sonos speakers are compatible with AirPlay.

Userlevel 7

Hi @pablojex

You cannot natively play iTunes from any iOS device. You must use AirPlay2. Unfortunately, the Playbar is not Airplay2 capable. However you can puchase one of the following to start AirPlay2 and group in the Playbar. They’re listed least expensive to high:

1. Sonos One SL (Recommended)
  2. Sonos One
  3. Move
  4. Sonos Play 5 (Gen 2)

There are other Sonos components that are Airplay2 capable but are not recommended in your specific scenario.

Note: If you were to use the option 1, 2 or 4 as surrounds with your Playbar Airplay2 is disabled. The Sonos Move cannot be used as a surround and Airplay2 for it is only allowed when it is on your home wi-fi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@pablojex To add to the message from @AjTrek1 the cheapest option to get Airplay into you Sonos system is to use an Ikea Symfonisk.