is it possible to use the Playbase without a TV, such as speaker connected to the PC via wireless?

• 17 February 2018
  • 6 replies

Playbase without a TV

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
If you have one, what happens when you try?
I got one and I was trying to set it up. Its doesn't work. I git it actually to use it as an external speaker to use on PC and tablet but I don't know anymore if it's supposed to be used other than a TV speaker.
I would appreciate any help
Userlevel 7
Seems like a waste of money for a computer. I know there are much better options for computer speakers...but you might try the converter in the link. The only other issue is how do you by-pass the setup procedure the Sonos App would have you do??? :(

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B01HGHNCMW/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518906096&sr=1-4&keywords=analog+to+optical+audio+converter&dpID=51zaRpfDJPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
My idea was to use it as a speaker connected via wifi. I had a Bluetooth speaker before and the sound quality was not at best so I thought the Sonos Playbase will be perfect to use as an external wireless speaker for Notebook, mobile and tablet.
Is there anyway that would work?
Userlevel 7
My idea was to use it as a speaker connected via wifi. I had a Bluetooth speaker before and the sound quality was not at best so I thought the Sonos Playbase will be perfect to use as an external wireless speaker for Notebook, mobile and tablet.
Is there anyway that would work?

The Playbase can be used as a speaker as you would any other Sonos speaker once it is setup. However, all signals for anything other than TV must be passed to it via the Sonos App. Meaning (on your computer) if you were watching a YouTube video, movie or website the sound is not going to be passed to the Playbase. Here is a list of compatible audio services accessed via the Sonos App:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/streaming-music

Anything else would have to be resident on your computer, NAS or in a folder saved as a favorite. As such whatever that might be is not fluid the same as a streamed music service. Also, the Playbase has no line-in so a bluetooth dongle workaround is not possible even if your computer has BT.