Answered

iPhone screen mirroring to projector and audio to Play:5

• 8 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 16 replies

Hi all,

I have a Play:5 and I was thinking of getting a portable projector with screen mirroring capabilities (e.g. https://www.viewsonic.com/us/m1-1.html). My question is can the projector mirror the video on my iPhone (for the viewsonic at least it is a wireless network connection) and be able to play the audio through my Play:5 (using AirPlay)? If so, would there be an audio delay?

Hope I am not duplicating any questions. This was the closest one I could find but it has been closed: 

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 8 April 2021, 05:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +1

Thank you for pointing this out :D

Userlevel 7

I’m pretty sure the iPhone uses AirPlay to screen mirror wirelessly to any AirPlay supported device.

Something else to consider is Netflix no longer supports AirPlay, so you wouldn’t be able to watch any Netflix content on your projector from your iPhone unless it is physically wired to the projector.

Badge +1

Thank you for your quick reply. I was thinking of just screen mirroring. That’s really helpful to know - seems like I would have to resort to options such as audio out from the projector to the Play:5 or connect my iPhone to the projector using HDMI (from what I read there will be a syncing problem), or buy into the home theatre family (arc, beam, etc.) to overcome the syncing issue. I just thought that the screen mirroring might be separate from AirPlay so that the audio and video could be separate as well.

Userlevel 7

Would you connect your iPhone to the projector through the HDMI port or just use screen mirroring?

I’m not 100% certain, but I don’t believe the iPhone can AirPlay to two different devices while showing audio/video on one device and only audio on the other. When I try to screen mirror a YouTube video on my iPhone to my Roku Ultra while AirPlaying to my Sonos One, the Roku will only play the audio and not the video. Same thing happens when I use an Apple TV 4K.