Intermittent audio from Sonos Arc to Samsung QE65Q95T

Setup Sonos Arc with One SL and Sub Gen3 on my Samsung TV. Synced up perfectly with HDMI ARC connection and all working great. However for some reason occasionally after shutting down TV for the night, the next day the audio comes on and then stops for a second or so before starting again. This repeated continuously, unless I disconnect and reconnect the HDMI connection or reboot the Sonos ARC. rebooting the TV has no impact, so the problem looks like the ARC. Interestingly if I go to the Sonos Source I don't get any signal from the Sonos when the issue is present? However when it's all working properly, I get signal okay and see the Sonos curved lines screen. 

Diagnostics have been submitted on I'd 1258411113

Any help appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

I have the Samsung q90t and have issue when after I turn off the tv, sometimes (every few days) the ARC will not “wake up” with sound. Connecting via eArc. Temporary fix is to hard reboot the Samsung tv by holding the power button on the remote control until the tv turns off and reboot itself to the QLED logo. A little annuing but reset the sound without having to unplug the sonos arc.

Just adding another voice to the Samsung Q95 owners who are having issues. I got an Arc with 2 x Sonos One SLs yesterday and have had a constant issue of sound dropping out every other second across multiple video apps until I unplug and then reconnect HDMI cables. The cables are definitely up to spec and all the firmware is up to date on both Sonos products and the TV.

I’ve contacted customer support to say that unless there’s a rock solid solution to this (which seems doubtful) I’ll be reluctantly returning my kit and getting something else instead.

Hello @Mikelev,

Enabling eARC should only be necessary to allow the TV to pass Dolby Atmos (Dolby True HD) but is not necessary for Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital +).

The issue we are experiencing with Samsung is specifically regarding Dolby Digital + while eARC is enabled rather than issues with Dolby True HD.

In this instance, disabling the eARC will not effect the audio quality but if you change to a true Dolby Atmos source, you will need to re-enable it.

We are aware of and working on a fix for this issue but I do not have any specific information on the status and time-frame for a resolution.     

Hi Jean C

It has been over 6 months since users started reporting this issue and many of us are still facing this.

I have the same issue of intermittent audio cut outs which force us to manually power things off and back on or unplug HDMI etc just to get audio working again.

Is there any news on ways to work around this or any possible software upgrades on the horizon, if not, the advice should be to return the product and find another solution. 

Any help you can provide would be appreciated 

Userlevel 1

I’m still having this issue - on both a samsung q90 and a sony bravia vh1.   Both TVs cut out to my sonos Arcs hooked up with eArc enabled.  Its very frustrating

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Yeah this is still an issue…...since release…..pretty crazy

@Jean C. I disabled eArc to get audio. When I did that, I had intermittent audio (1 second skips) on three separate occasion. Only way to fix it was to plug out the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and replug it. 

In summary: Disabling eArc didn’t resolve my intermittent sound issue. 

Same thing here. Brand new sonos arc and brand new Samsung frame tv. Have to unplug and plug hdmi cable at least three times to get audio working. 

And...again: 3 seconds sound 1 second silence.  I need to unplug and plug it back again to restore the sound.Sent another diagnostic log (191327650)

Exactly what I’m experiencing 

I’ve got exactly the same.

Samsung QE55Q90R, connected to an Arc.

For about a week everything is fine and then the audio gets interrupted every few seconds for about a second. I’ve to take out the HDMI cable and put it back in. Seems to me that Sonos has to figure this out. 
And if they’re pointing at Samsung, then go there for answers. A lot of people payed a lot for these systems and don’t get feedback.

I hope it can be solved soon.

Stay healthy!

Well said!!!

@Jean C. I disabled eArc to get audio. When I did that, I had intermittent audio (1 second skips) on three separate occasion. Only way to fix it was to plug out the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and replug it. 

In summary: Disabling eArc didn’t resolve my intermittent sound issue. 

Same thing here. Brand new sonos arc and brand new Samsung frame tv. Have to unplug and plug hdmi cable at least three times to get audio working. 

Same here. Nothing but unplugging and plugging back in seems to work.  And even then it’s like playing the slots in Vegas. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. 

So is anything happening? Are Sonos trying to fix this? What do Samsung have to say?

Thanks Talvish,

Seems to be the same issue.

I have noticed two things:-

1) As noted during the issue, I have always lost the Sonos signal from the EARC source. I.e. I don't see the Sonos picture anymore, if I change to the Sonos source.

2) a quick unplug and replug of the HDMI cable from the ARC fixes the issue.

Might be worth checking these two issues/fixes to confirm same issue?

I have the exact same tv and same issue. I have to unplug and plug back every time after I turn off my tv and on again. 

Hello @Mikelev,

Enabling eARC should only be necessary to allow the TV to pass Dolby Atmos (Dolby True HD) but is not necessary for Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital +).

The issue we are experiencing with Samsung is specifically regarding Dolby Digital + while eARC is enabled rather than issues with Dolby True HD.

In this instance, disabling the eARC will not effect the audio quality but if you change to a true Dolby Atmos source, you will need to re-enable it.

We are aware of and working on a fix for this issue but I do not have any specific information on the status and time-frame for a resolution.     

Hi Jean C

It has been over 6 months since users started reporting this issue and many of us are still facing this.

I have the same issue of intermittent audio cut outs which force us to manually power things off and back on or unplug HDMI etc just to get audio working again.

Is there any news on ways to work around this or any possible software upgrades on the horizon, if not, the advice should be to return the product and find another solution. 

Any help you can provide would be appreciated

I am having the same exact issue! Please help -all of us!!!

I am having the same problem with all other users on a Samsung Q90T 65in. The tv is not connected to any other hdmi source. The sound setting keeps on switching between eArc and hdmi and the sound is intermittent. My diagnostic number is:

Following this issue the last two month, and no Development doesnt seem that either Sonos or Samsung takes this seriously, so although I like the Sonos Arc system, I gonna sell now, and go back to Bose.

Thanks for nothing Sonos

Update = Had the new Samsung update (1461) about two weeks ago. Started from scratch again with Sonos and TV settings. This time picked up but not totally compliant. Changed out the supplied HDMI with an Amazon Basics and I now have a fully functional Sonos system with no drop outs and superb quality. 

Hope this fix works for others on this post.  

Update = Had the new Samsung update (1461) about two weeks ago. Started from scratch again with Sonos and TV settings. This time picked up but not totally compliant. Changed out the supplied HDMI with an Amazon Basics and I now have a fully functional Sonos system with no drop outs and superb quality. 

Hope this fix works for others on this post.  

Nope. I have that update but still only working for a day or so at a time and then it loses the sound. C’mon Sonos - what are you playing at?