Answered

Interface between playbar and tv

I just bought a playbar and we have a Samsung smart tv (model UN55J620DAF). I hooked up and tuned the playbar and it works for playing music from Spotify. But when I try to select the playbar as the tv speaker, the system does not recognize the playbar. Is it possible that the playbar is incompatible with the this samsung model? I hope not 🙂
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 May 2019, 01:57

That "phone jack" connection isn't a phone jack, it's an ethernet jack, for connection to your router.

Generally speaking, in many TV's, there's a setting to turn on the digital output.

You don't have a Sonos device that requires an HDMI cable. You have one that requires an optical cable. The optical cable that came with the PLAYBAR would be connected to the output on the back of your TV, and the input on the PLAYBAR.

When the digital output is on on the TV, there should be a red light coming out of the optical cable, before you plug it in to the PLAYBAR.

Here's the FAQ:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2032
View original

7 replies

How do you have it connected?

The PLAYBAR only has an optical connection. Optical data is a one way carrier, so that the TV wouldn't have any idea what is on the other end of the cable. HDMI-ARC, on the other hand, is an electrical connection, which works both ways. So the Beam would "announce" itself across an HDMI cable to an HDMI-ARC port on the TV.

Did you follow the instructions in the FAQ on how to connect to your TV?
I did not realize you have to connect an HDMI cable. the playbar came with a ,phone jack' type cable and the optical cable. the phone jack cable fits into something labeled LAN on the tv. I will check the FAQs
I only see the optical connection and that is hooked up to the tv's digital audio out connection. I guess the problem is that the tv does not know that there is an external speaker, so it does not provide the option to select that speaker off the sound menu.
That "phone jack" connection isn't a phone jack, it's an ethernet jack, for connection to your router.

Generally speaking, in many TV's, there's a setting to turn on the digital output.

You don't have a Sonos device that requires an HDMI cable. You have one that requires an optical cable. The optical cable that came with the PLAYBAR would be connected to the output on the back of your TV, and the input on the PLAYBAR.

When the digital output is on on the TV, there should be a red light coming out of the optical cable, before you plug it in to the PLAYBAR.

Here's the FAQ:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2032
thanks for the message. no red light, so likely no digital output from the tv.
thanks for your help. figured it out. as with most things IT related, I am a dunce until the solution hits me in the face ☺
Trial and error works, most times you learn from the errors 🙂