Installing PlayBar on ceiling

• 30 November 2013
  • 12 replies

I have read the advice - under no circumstances install the PB on a ceiling.  The thing is we have the perfect place for it above the TV and am going to do it anyway

What i want to know is, with the accelerometers determining the EQ by sensing the PBs orientation, will the system actually function adequately if hung from the ceiling 'upside down' using the wall mount bracket?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I'd recommend that you look at the pictures on the sales section of this website. They're much more descriptive than I can be.
Userlevel 2
Hello Jim,

The only advice in this case would be to avoid for the PLAYBAR's drivers to point into a wall/ceiling. As long as the sound-waves have space to expand, the sound should be fine - even though this is a subjective matter.

In the end, our suggestion is for you to install the PLAYBAR to your liking, and test whether you are content with the results.

Regards,

Bjorn L.
Hi JimB976, did you end up mounting the PB on the ceiling? And if so how did you do it to make sure it was secure? I have a built in soffit right above my TV that keeps me from hanging the PB above the TV and a fireplace below it. But if I could hang it upside down on the soffit it would be perfect. Do you have pictures of your install if you did it? Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi JimB976, did you end up mounting the PB on the ceiling? And if so how did you do it to make sure it was secure? I have a built in soffit right above my TV that keeps me from hanging the PB above the TV and a fireplace below it. But if I could hang it upside down on the soffit it would be perfect. Do you have pictures of your install if you did it? Thanks!
Interesting idea to hang the Playbar!

My only concern would be base resonance as you will be missing the wall behind the playbar. I am not a sound engineer but would expect the audio becoming somewhat "thin" in such an application.

Also keen to know how you did this! mines on the ceiling above projector and im unesasy about it. plus i have the outdoor cinema and i need to take it outside sometimes so need something secure to take it up and down
If I had that case, I'd hang a simple shelf with some metal chains to the ceiling for the PLAYBAR to sit on. Then I could quickly unplug the necessary wires and move it.
If I had that case, I'd hang a simple shelf with some metal chains to the ceiling for the PLAYBAR to sit on. Then I could quickly unplug the necessary wires and move it.

yeah dont have much drop space. but i was thinkin to have maybe 90degree drop down so its wall mounted (on the ceiling) then i can atleast trust that gravity wont let me down.

am i correct in thinking the speaker detects which way up it is to know which is left and which is right?
To my knowledge, only in a 90 degree orientation. Not 180 degrees. It won't swap right and left.
To my knowledge, only in a 90 degree orientation. Not 180 degrees. It won't swap right and left.

so which way is the right way up!>? lol, it took me a while before i noticed "SONOS" looks the same either way around!

so which way is the right way up!>? lol, it took me a while before i noticed "SONOS" looks the same either way around!

found it, yes it can swap them round:
https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/installing-playbar-upside-down-6767158
When vertical, the silver is at the bottom. When horizontal, it's at the front. You can tell by where the IR receptors are.
When vertical, the silver is at the bottom. When horizontal, it's at the front. You can tell by where the IR receptors are.

the silver bit should be "away from the TV' so it depends where its mounted. so the speakers inside aim AWAY from the silver bar. so on the ceiling the silver bar should be at the back from the audience?