In wall speakers

  • 30 June 2020
  • 8 replies

I have two in wall speakers in a second floor room that are hard wired to a connect amp Which is in the basement. The system works beautifully. 

what I’d like to do is have the tv in the room play audio through the connect amp and into the speakers. 

I can’t figure out a way to do it. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is an HDMI extender (, to get picture and sound to another TV. Does not look like it was used fro Sonos. Still unclear where the optical cables go?

Could you contact the former owner of your home? Maybe talking to him will clarify things?

Speaker wire runs to the basement into Sonos connect amp. All of these cables seem to run upstairs to another room. 

so confused


just want tv sound to go to speakers when watching tv or operate as a normal Sonos setup through connect amp for music

This is what was behind where the tv was. 


They’re connected to the amp via speaker wire but the speakers may also be connected with optical cable for the tv

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are these the speakers that are connected to the Connect:amp? Sonos does not use optical to connect speakers. To my knowledge the Connect:amp only has (1) optical digital out not in. So two optical cables that connect Sonos speakers seems strange to me.

The house we moved into has two optical cables coming out of the wall where a tv was. I’m thinking the must go to the speakers??

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Be aware that if you have an older Connect:amp (before some point in 2015) this will only work with a Beam on an S1 system, not with the Arc, that needs S2. S2 is incompatible with “legacy” Connect:amps.

You’d need one of the Sonos sound bars to connect to the TV. Then you could use the CONNECT:AMP and those two speakers as surround speakers following the data in the Setting up Amp or CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers FAQ.