Question

If you use two sonos one with playbar and sub to create a 5:1 Home Theatre can you use alexa and apple airplay 2?

• 26 November 2019
  • 13 replies

I currently have a playbar and sub linked to my tv and wish to set up a 5:1 Home Theatre. If I bought two Sonos one speakers, would this enable me to use Alexa and Apple AirPlay 2 with the 5:1 Home Theatre set up? If not, I guess it would make more financial sense to buy two play 1 instead and accept that I won’t be able to use Apple airplay 2 and consider buying an echo dot to use Alexa to control my speakers.

Any advice regarding the best set up would be much appreciated.

Many thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Why the recommendation not to use Alexa in one of the rear speakers?  Does Alexa not work as well as the Dot, which I already have, but would like to eliminate it for less clutter if get a Sonos rear speaker?  And if using Alexa on Sonos is not as good as the Dot, would getting two Play 1’s be the best option?

I didn’t recommend it, I said it was worth considering.  However, i personally prefer it.  There are pros and cons (an extra device being one of the cons) and different people will prefer different approaches.  The three main advantages of using the Dot are:

1. You get fully featured Alexa.  The One is an Alexa-enabled speaker, not an Echo device.
  2. I can position the Dot where it is most likely to hear me.
  3. The volume of Alexa’s voice responses is independent of the current speaker volume setting. 

Others will possibly disagree.  I am just putting it out there.

I think you will have to balance the cheaper cost of Play 1s versus One SLs. The One SLs may be more future proof for developments as yet unknown,  and have Airplay if you should ever find yourself using them outside of a HT setup.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks - I ended up buying two Gen 2 Sonos One from Amazon for $138 a piece.  They were used but in like new condition, so you got another 20% off the used price.  Seems like a great price for those, so can test them out!  :)

Alexa yes. Airplay 2 no.

Personally I would still consider Play:1s (if you can find them) or OneSLs, and get an Echo Dot for Alexa.

Hi John B, thank you very much for your rapid reply and clarification of the situation, much appreciated. 

Say I did go ahead and set up a 5:1 Home Theatre with a playbar, sub and two play 1, if I bought an additional play one and put it in another room and grouped the 5:1 set up and play one/play one SL, I guess that would then enable me to use Apple airplay 2? 

Yes, but stereo only, not Dolby Digital. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just to clarify: the Play:1 and the One are different devices. Play:1 does not support Airplay. The One and One SL do. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for answering the question, as I had the same one, as just got a Playbar and Sub too.  Not sure why Sonos makes it so confusing.  To many choices, between PlayOne, Sonos One and Sonos SL, which confuse new Sonos or would be Sonos users.

I may just return the Playbar and wait until hopefully an updated one comes out and by a Beam on Black Friday to use in the meantime.  

Why the recommendation not to use Alexa in one of the rear speakers?  Does Alexa not work as well as the Dot, which I already have, but would like to eliminate it for less clutter if get a Sonos rear speaker?  And if using Alexa on Sonos is not as good as the Dot, would getting two Play 1’s be the best option?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s no “PlayOne” - it’s a “Play:1”. Yes - very confusing.

Knowing the Play:1 is on it’s way out, I’d be more inclined to go One SL than Play:1, unless you get a really good deal.

I am one of those that prefers to have the Alexa device be separate, for exactly the reasons John listed. My speakers tend to be in places where it’s unusual for my voice to be well heard, but I appreciate the ability to control my system using an Alexa puck.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Makes sense.  So if you were purchasing rear speakers for the Playbar or Beam would you just get Play 1’s or One SL?  Would Play 1’s still work with the Beam when Airplay is used?

I have PLAY:1s as surrounds on both of my PLAYBARs. Occasionally, I will send an AirPlay 2 signal to either a Sonos One, or a PLAY:5 gen 2, and group my PLAYBAR with it, and get the signal playing on all speakers, including the PLAY:1s.