If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

No, sorry, I don’t have any personal experience with them. My Vizio doesn’t mess with the pass through signal. Just search on Amazon, there are dozens, you can choose based on which features you want, and once you know which brand/model you want, you can get it anywhere that has it. Amazon is a great place to do research, but sometimes not necessarily the place to purchase.

Which connection on the TV would depend on whether you’re using apps on the TV, and a switch that accepts an ARC signal to send out through the optical signal. But if you’re not, the an HDMI video signal is the same across all inputs. 

Badge

No, sorry, I don’t have any personal experience with them. My Vizio doesn’t mess with the pass through signal. Just search on Amazon, there are dozens, you can choose based on which features you want, and once you know which brand/model you want, you can get it anywhere that has it. Amazon is a great place to do research, but sometimes not necessarily the place to purchase.

Which connection on the TV would depend on whether you’re using apps on the TV, and a switch that accepts an ARC signal to send out through the optical signal. But if you’re not, the an HDMI video signal is the same across all inputs. 

Thank you so much for all of your help. I have a switch here at home I am going to try first prior to making a purchase to see if that helps solve the problem. Thank you all that responded and answered my questions. Stay safe out there! 

Badge

Thank you so much for all of your help. I have a switch here at home I am going to try first prior to making a purchase to see if that helps solve the problem. Thank you all that responded and answered my questions. Stay safe out there! 

Ok so I connected everything to the hdmi switch. Ran the optical cable from the switch to the play at and one hdmi to the television since the switch has all other cables running into it and I still have a bit of a delay. Do I need to turn off any audio processing on the tv or is that now pointless? 

That would be pointless, the sound is not being processed by the TV, it is being extracted by the switch and sent to the PLAYBAR before it reaches the TV.

You’re the first person who has reported that there is still a delay in this setup, can I ask what source you’re watching? Not what program, specifically, but what device is generating the signal  being sent to the switch? Can you supply a link to which switch you’re using? Can you also confirm that the audio settings on this device, actually every device you have connected to the switch, is set to Dolby Digital only, and not any other codec?

Badge

That would be pointless, the sound is not being processed by the TV, it is being extracted by the switch and sent to the PLAYBAR before it reaches the TV.

You’re the first person who has reported that there is still a delay in this setup, can I ask what source you’re watching? Not what program, specifically, but what device is generating the signal  being sent to the switch? Can you supply a link to which switch you’re using? Can you also confirm that the audio settings on this device, actually every device you have connected to the switch, is set to Dolby Digital only, and not any other codec?

I am using a firestick. The switch I’m using was purchased on monoprice. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15375

Do you have another source you can test with other than the firestick? I don’t have much experience with one, and would prefer a more traditional device such as a DVD player.

Have you checked the audio settings on the Firestick? For instance, a quick google search brought up this:

To make sure the audio settings on your FireTV stick are correct, go to the Home Screen (Pressing the Home button on the Remote), enter into Settings, select the Dolby Digital Output option and make sure that Dolby Digital Plus is set to off.

Having Dolby Digital Plus turned off would be important. 

Ok so I connected everything to the hdmi switch. Ran the optical cable from the switch to the play at and one hdmi to the television since the switch has all other cables running into it and I still have a bit of a delay. Do I need to turn off any audio processing on the tv or is that now pointless? 

It is rare to still have lip-sync delays when using a switch/extractor, I’m wondering if it’s one of the interconnecting cables that is causing the issue here and if you are able to perhaps swap them for another?.. most unusual. 🤔

Userlevel 2

Voice sync delay issue  Sonos Playbar, Sub, 2 Play:1s, Sony Bravia TV and Xfinity cable  

I am having the same problem with a Playbar, Sub and 2 Play1s as many others. For months, A temporary fix for me has been to change the channel and then immediately come back to the channel I was watching. And it’s fixed for a little while. Then the delay returns. Thinking it was the cable box I called Xfinity and got a replacement cable box. That didn’t fix it. Then I played with the delay options in the Sonos settings. That didn’t work. So I disconnected the optical cable and went back to TV audio. Guess what?  No sync issues Sonos!  So I’m guessing that it’s the optical interface that’s the problem. I am really angry about this because a lot of people are experiencing it, not just me or us. I am referencing your case # 171023-002526 and will post my own on this  

Sonos, please help us. 

Voice sync delay issue  Sonos Playbar, Sun, 2 Play:1s, Sony Bravia TV and Xfinity cable  

I am having the same problem with a Playbar, Sub and 2 Play1s as many others. For months, A temporary fix for me has been to change the channel and then immediately come back to the channel I was watching. And it’s fixed for a little while. Then the delay returns. Thinking it was the cable box I called Xfinity and got a replacement cable box. That didn’t fix it. Then I played with the delay options in the Sonos settings. That didn’t work. So I disconnected the optical cable and went back to TV audio. Guess what?  No sync issues Sonos!  So I’m guessing that it’s the optical interface that’s the problem. I am really angry about this because a lot of people are experiencing it, not just me or us. I am referencing your case # 171023-002526 and will post my own on this  

Sonos, please help us. 

vinman61855,

To perhaps help confirm, (or maybe refute?), that it’s possibly your PlayBar at fault here, have you tested to see if there are any audio-delay/lip-sync issues, when you bypass the Sony TV completely and use an audio extractor/splitter instead? It would be well worth exploring that option, I think, particularly, as I suspect the Sony Bravia TV may not support audio ‘pass-through’ on its HDMI/optical ports, like you see nowadays on some of the recent LG TV’s.

Here are three ‘randomly’ chosen examples of splitter/extractors that other users have posted in the community here in the past, which some have used to test with their TV and found that such a device has 'often' resolved their lip-sync issues with a Sonos HT product, where it proved to be their TV’s processors ability at fault and unable to 'process' the surround audio signal quickly enough through the TV’s HDMI/Optical port’s:

1. https://www.amazon.com/NewBEP-Switcher-Selector-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B07438WJ8G/ref=sr_1_7
  2. https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Extractor-Splitter-Amplifier/dp/B07D9BNVM1/ref=sr_1_21_sspa
  3. https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Koopman-Optical-Converter-Supports/dp/B082KW5MXS/ref=asc_df_B082KW5MXS

….and just to add that playing PCM audio to the stereo 'only' internal TV speakers is a different thing entirely to asking the TV to process surround sound audio and pass it out through its optical port to a ‘5.1 audio Receiver'. That’s a bit like comparing Apples to Pears.

I have same issue with my Sony ~ it suddenly start few month ago (I belive) and it happens in the middle of seeing a movie or TV - it not right from the start. I then have restart TV and then it will be fine again …. is there a solution for this? 

I have same issue with my Sony ~ it suddenly start few month ago (I belive) and it happens in the middle of seeing a movie or TV - it not right from the start. I then have restart TV and then it will be fine again …. is there a solution for this? 

Is this whilst you are playing a movie from the internal TV tuner, a built-in TV app, or is it from another source like a connected cable TV box etc? Without knowing the exact detail of what you are referring to, it’s rather difficult for anyone here to suggest a solution. If restarting the TV usually solves the matter, then it sounds like it might be your TV that is at fault here… I would perhaps just check with the manufacturers website and ensure the TV is using their latest software/firmware update.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I just installed my 5.1/Playbar on my LG OLED 65” and first thing I noticed was a lip sync issues with my cable box stations - especially live news.   In the past - I have also tested Martin Logan soundbars and also a wired Marantz receiver with a passive soundbar on the same TV.   I had no issues with the receiver except when I used optical (I briefly used optical to get the LG smartTV apps like Netflix) .  I tried to resolve and fiddled with the lip sync adjustments in the TV but could never get it right.

I don’t remember any sync issues with the Martin Logan Vision (optical input only) but it definitely had an audio dropout problem - the first two or three seconds was lost on new stations or music files.

I also don’t have any sync issues now when my source is other than the cable box.   Like Apple TV for instance.   I was going to test the optical from the cable box directly to the Playbar.

I also have a Sonos Beam on a bedroom LG LCD set and it is OK.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Voice sync delay issue  Sonos Playbar, Sun, 2 Play:1s, Sony Bravia TV and Xfinity cable  

Sonos, please help us. 

vinman61855,

1. https://www.amazon.com/NewBEP-Switcher-Selector-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B07438WJ8G/ref=sr_1_7
  2. https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Extractor-Splitter-Amplifier/dp/B07D9BNVM1/ref=sr_1_21_sspa
  3. https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Koopman-Optical-Converter-Supports/dp/B082KW5MXS/ref=asc_df_B082KW5MXS

I think you hit the nail on the head.   Seems logical that the TV isn’t processing fast enough.   But I don’t have a problem with my Apple TV -- only my cable box.   I’ll test a BluRay later today and report back

The first choice in extractors above is the only 4 port 4K/Dolby Vision and it isn’t available anymore.   All four of my sources have optical out so I can test if it is my LG OLED output that’s the problem by just temporarily bypassing the TV optical out.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

While I agree with your irritation, this isn’t something that Sonos can be involved in.

Well…..if Sonos is aware of it, they should state the product works fine on TVs A, B, C, but not on E, F

They are counting on a Toslink output without a cross manufacturers standard.  

This is annoying to me because I have the same TV and I had no sync problems before Sonos.      

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’m looking at something like this

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Quality-TOSLINK/dp/B00HQ2R37S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=toslink%2Boptical%2Bswitcher&qid=1587104842&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWlo3RklMUUVOMkU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDYxOTYxMlNWSVdKTlhTUk83QSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzY0MTc0M1U4NVRTM1FFUzJKTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

SOLVED ????

I was looking in the wrong spot.   My LG OLED menu under audio had a choice between AUTO and PCN for optical out

But looking under the Lip Sync adjustments in another menu, there is a BYPASS OPTION !!!

When I chose it, all seems OK now.    

My setup:

LG OLED 55C8

Sonos Beam Connected via HDMI ARC

2x Sonos One SL (5.1) connected via WiFi

Chromecast Ultra, Sony PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch

I read through about 5 pages of this thread. I really don't wanna go out and buy anything like a HDMI audio extractor to fix it. Tried a few things and the only way I could get rid of the delay is physically bypassing my TV with the provided HDMI-Optical cable to get a Digital 5.1 signal from my PS4 straight to the beam. HDMI ARC, optical/HDMI thru TV all produce a slight ~250ms lag. Linear PCM has no delay, only when the beam is running in Digital 5.1 do I notice the issue. I've tried LG's sync delay bypass to no avail as well... Beginning to think there's no fix here. 

Ah well. Maybe they'll announce a new soundbar on the 6th and I'll just buy that, or just use something else. If anyone thinks there's a solution though I'd love to hear it. For those of you who have had luck with the LG Bypass option I'm glad, but no dice for me.

The problem isn’t in the Sonos, so a new version of one of their sound bars won’t change anything. 

Let me modify that. If the TV has a separate process for handling eARC, and the new Sonos sound bar accepts such a signal, it might make a difference. Right now, it appears that any HDMI input on several TVs is impacted by this delay. Until there is a Sonos or other speaker that works via this third output method, we have no real proof if it is an issue on input to the TV, or an output issue. 

@Airgetlam I don't fully understand the fundamental issue with HDMI ARC and the sound signals, but I was thinking perhaps a new product would bring a solution some other way. Thinking.only about the issues I've noticed... I don't get any lag over the PS4 with Linear PCM (but it's a Stereo 2.0 signal). I don't know if somehow the soundbar just doesn't do 5.1 unless it's Bitsteam, but my hope is for PCM 5.1 essentially, over HDMI ARC. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I've got my fingers crossed something will get sorted out.

I’m not an electrical engineer, so take my assumptions as such, but it’s pretty clear to me that if stripping out the audio before it reaches the TV using an HDMI switch, it’s evident that there is an issue with the handling of the Dolby Digital signal inside the electronics of the TV. I’d expect that a stereo (PCM) signal gets handled by different electronics, which is why the Dolby Digital signal is delayed, and the stereo signal is not. I think that’s a fair indicator that the issue isn’t on input, as I suggested in my previous post, but there must be some additional processing / pathway occurring when the signal is Dolby Digital. 

But yes, if and when Sonos adds more options for encoding to the audio stream for their home theater products, it’s possible that the TV will not delay that stream, and present it at the same speed that they do the stereo stream. But that still depends on the capability of the electronics in the TV, and has nothing to do with Sonos, for all practical purposes. 

So far, the only mention I’ve seen from Sonos is inferred to be about music encoding, nothing but speculation, including my own, about the Home Theater stream getting extra codec interpretation. 

And even if that occurs, there will be a significant amount of frustration from owners who currently use optical, as most other codecs are not able to be carried by optical due to limitations in bandwidth. I’m not looking forward to the posts of condemnation for Sonos having chosen such a transport method, although I suspect at the time that the PLAYBAR was designed, HDMI-ARC didn’t exist, or if it did, it wasn’t in wide enough use to make sense from a cost perspective to put it in to Sonos, and it wouldn’t have sold because, at the time, the majority of TVs wouldn’t have supported it.

But certainly, if the maker of the TV set handles the new codec stream in a different manner than they do for Dolby Digital, you’re absolutely correct. I have my doubts that they do/will, but who knows, other than the folks who created the TV set. 

We’ll have to see. My crystal ball seems to be broken ;)

Makes sense to me. It's a tough thing to get right. I hope LG, Sonos and Samsung can implement firmware or software solutions that work for the stuff everyone's already bought. I did some more googling and found a rather interesting blog from Dolby in 2018 that explains a lot of these troubles quite well. Worth a read for anyone else who winds up here.

Dolby blog link:

https://developer.dolby.com/blog/dolby-audio-over-hdmi-part-3-reality/

The blog has a sentence that makes for a decent tldr;

"Decoding audio and video in devices requires some processing time, and each process introduces different time delays, or latencies, in each device."

Couldn’t agree more. I’m certain that Sonos isn’t instantaneous, either, but given how well it works in other TVs, as well as if you pull the audio out before it hits the TV, it’s hard to imagine anything other than the TV is the issue here. 

I appreciate the discussion from someone who is interested in the discussion, and is willing to consider all aspects of the situation. Rather frequently in these forums, people have decided that Sonos is the issue, and are not dissuaded by other perspectives. Sonos isn’t perfect, IMHO, but the fault on this issue is not them. But I’ve not found a better system out there, Sonos certainly meets the needs I have for now. Would love it to do more, and I hope in time, the opportunity for them to continue evolving will happen.

Stay safe, and have a lovely weekend!

@Airgetlam I don't fully understand the fundamental issue with HDMI ARC and the sound signals, but I was thinking perhaps a new product would bring a solution some other way. Thinking.only about the issues I've noticed... I don't get any lag over the PS4 with Linear PCM (but it's a Stereo 2.0 signal). I don't know if somehow the soundbar just doesn't do 5.1 unless it's Bitsteam, but my hope is for PCM 5.1 essentially, over HDMI ARC. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I've got my fingers crossed something will get sorted out.

I am very much in the same boat as you! I’ve found the following on the LG forums

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4423/oled-c9-edid-limitation-regarding-hdmi-earc-pass-through

“LG will be introducing PCM Multi-channel support when using eARC in the 2 quarter of 2020. This will be possible via a software update for 2019 & 2020 TV that support eARC.”

Not sure but wonder if this will mean that the LG following update will pass a 5.1 LPCM signal? Also not sure how the Sonos soundbar will use it if it does...

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I have a 4 year old Panasonic dx902b. When I connect my beam via arc I seems to get a 250ms delay from externally connected hdmi DD 5.1 sources, however, internal TV apps will output DD5.1 perfectly in sync. 

At the moment I am running everything into the beam using an optical connection via a hdmi switch with optical output. The beam will now play audio with no sync issues. Bypassing the TV audio processing seems to solve the problem but this also means that I can not upgrade to the new Arc until I:

a) upgrade my TV as I will not be able to get atmos via optical input. 
b) accept the 250ms audio delay. 

Neither of these options seem likely. Does anyone know of an hdmi Splitter that can split the audio and video via hdmi rather than optical so it can be fed into the beam/Arc directly ?