If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

I honestly don't know. It does says it supports ARC, so I would hope so. I think the key note on the description that I see is this:

HDMI AUDIO EXTRACTOR:Extracts the audio from HDMI and outputs to a 3.5mm Jack,RCA L/R or SPDIF and Coaxial for connection to a set of speakers, home theatre audio system or amplifier.

What I really don't know is if it takes the ARC from the output HDMI connection on the switch and processes that out to the SPDIF output. It just isn't clear one way or the other.

But in your case, yes, the connection from the HDMI "output" on that switch would have to be connected to the HDMI-ARC port on your TV, to give it a chance of working. The the Beam would be connected to the SPDIF output, though the adapter that came with your Beam. Assuming that it processes the ARC channel properly, then you should get any sound that's on your TV.
How would I use the external HDMI auto extractor to work for the onboard apps (through webos) as there's no HDMI based input for those apps. I was able to use the hdmi extractor for my Roku, and it's working fine, but I still mainly use the onboard apps, so I'm not happy.

Does anyone have a workaround for that?
That's exactly what we were discussing. Perhaps if you wait for the previous poster to respond, after purchasing the device that was linked, you'll have an answer.

All devices would connect to the switch, instead of the TV. There would then be a single HDMI cable from the switch to the TV for the video, and an optical cable from the switch to the Beam to carry the sound. That way, your TV can't delay the audio signal.Thanks, I'm almost there. There's just one thing I need clearing up. Let's say I use this device: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_itemHow would I still get sound through my Beam whenever I play native content on my TV (i.e. from the Spotify or Youtube app on my tv). Would the single HDMI cable running from the switch output have to be connected to the HDMI ARC input on my tv? Or would that then not process the signals of my other connected devices (PS4 Pro etc.) correctly?

Hey Neil,

This would be correct. In a way your set up would be identical to mine and I can confirm I'm still enjoying 5.1 sound from my TV's native apps (due to arc) + 5.1 from any device connected to the switch. I can't guarantee functionality because my set up includes a Playbar instead of a Beam, but I see it having a good chance to work. Else you can always return the switch 😉
Badge
anyone using an Amazon Fire TV HD box..not the stick, but the 4k box? Reason for asking is that on my never ending testing that I'm doing with this beam and audio sync etc...I am NOT experiencing any delays whatsoever.

It's set for Dolby 5.1 output, the Sammy tv which i have is set to Bitstream and when 5.1 is coming out, I can see the tv is recognising it as well...

This is connected from FireTV to HDMI in (Sammy), and SAmmy ARC to Beam...no exstractors, optical or anything.

Really strange...as when I connect my Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield in...I'm getting the delays.

Any ideas, or people experiencing the same?

thnx
Badge
Hey I submitted my diagnostic data and my number is: 807739505
I was testing it with other stuff like with my roku, ps4 and chrome cast and they all get the same static/distorted sound randomly when using it, wondering if there are possible solutions?
I can't seem to get the native apps sound working with my playbar using the HDMI Arc output on my switch connected to the HDMI Arc input on my LG oled C8 TV. I am using the below linked product. Using a Roku stick I am able to get the sound to work just fine.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

4K HDMI Switch 3x2, ZAMO 4K 60Hz... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYQC4MZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Hmm, I seemed to have figured it out, has the optical cable still in the switch rather than in the TV.

So just to clarify:
The optical cable should be connected from the TV to the playbar, and the hdmi out arc on the switch connected to the HDMI arc in on the TV, then any additional inputs connected to the switch input. Does that sound about right?

Aso, what should I set the oled C8 AV sync setting to? AV sync = on and Bypass = enabled? Or AV sync just set to off?
Not offhand. Have you tried a power cycle of the TV, and that switch? I'd be contacting the maker of the switch, you may have gotten on that's broken?

I'd also double check, just for fun, the audio settings on the TV, to make sure that they're set to Dolby Digital, especially for those native apps. There's no guaranty that the switch is sending a signal to suggest that the maximum viable signal is Dolby Digital, which is what typically happens as part of HDMI-ARC. But since the switch isn't a real sound device, but just a repeater, it may not be sending a signal.
Ah, you've posted while I was typing.

The optical should be connected to the switch, not the TV, and goes to the PLAYBAR.

I don't know which setting to use for A/V sync, try both settings for 10 minutes, and see if it makes a difference. I'd definitely have bypass on.
HI all

Just bought the beam. Got it set up on my Panasonic DX750B via ARC. I mainly use my 4K firestick for movies etc.

I am having lip sync problems when the TV is set output bitstream but totally fine with PCM. Has anyone fixed this issue without buying extra equipment as the beam is expensive enough.

I read on av forums that the only real difference between bitstream and PCM is where the processing is done. Like if you select bitstream on the TV then it is the TV that does the work but if you select PCM then the beam does the processing and the sound should be the same. Is this true?

I have a few days window to return the beam if necessary but it sounds good and I'd rather fix the stupid sync problems.

Thanks.
No, that's not really true. In both cases, the TV is doing processing, it's just the type of processing the TV is doing. In the case of PCM, it's almost none, since the signal is stereo. In the case of Dolby Digital, it's trying to do lots of other things, including processing the signal so it can be used on the TV's speakers. One thing you should do with your TV is to turn off any audio options that look like they're going to modify the audio in any way. The less "messing" with the signal that happens in the TV's circuitry, the better for lipsync issues.

Many of the people have ended up getting an HDMI switch, which is external to the TV, in order to strip out the audio before it actually reaches the TV. They're relatively inexpensive, depending on what features you want. You can check out local prices for you on Amazon, although that's not the only place to purchase them. But it is certainly a good way to do research.
Thanks. Have not got any processing options selected. On the Panasonic they all grey out when a soundbar is connected. When you say that with bitstream the TV is processing the signal so it's own speakers can play it then does it really matter if its not the TV speakers we are using? Isn't it better to let the sonos process the signal itself? Or are you saying that the pcm signal itself is garbage and the beam will just be playing stereo?

I watched some scenes from Kong skull island and both settings sounded pretty identical. I'm no audiophile but I do have a good ear and have returned speakers and headsets in the past for tiny annoyances. But with these between pcm and bitstream on the TV I am not hearing much if any difference. Is the beam using the pcm signal and processing it just as good as the TV?

Was thinking of trying through optical. Could it maybe cut out some hdmi delay?
Thanks. Have not got any processing options selected. On the Panasonic they all grey out when a soundbar is connected. When you say that with bitstream the TV is processing the signal so it's own speakers can play it then does it really matter if its not the TV speakers we are using? Isn't it better to let the sonos process the signal itself? Or are you saying that the pcm signal itself is garbage and the beam will just be playing stereo?

I watched some scenes from Kong skull island and both settings sounded pretty identical. I'm no audiophile but I do have a good ear and have returned speakers and headsets in the past for tiny annoyances. But with these between pcm and bitstream on the TV I am not hearing much if any difference. Is the beam using the pcm signal and processing it just as good as the TV?

Was thinking of trying through optical. Could it maybe cut out some hdmi delay?

Enable the TV internal speakers first and then turn off the TV's audio enhancements and then switch to the HDMI-ARC, or Optical, output. You should not assume the features are disabled because they are greyed out when you switchover to using the external (Beam) speaker.

Also get latest TV firmware and perhaps speak to the Panasonic support desk, who maybe able to assist you further.

If all fails then use an audio splitter and the Beams optical adapter to remedy the audio delays.
Thanks for the reply.

Got no enhancements enabled and buying more equipment is crazy for the price we've all paid for our TVs and soundbars.

For now I'm just using pcm as theres no delay. Been reading all over the web that the soundbar will process the signal anyway so there's no need for the TV to do it.
Ronnieuk,

Most VMedia TiVo TV Channels are PCM stereo anyway... so surround sound is only really useful for channel 204 Netflix and the few HD Film channels.
Most of my testing is on my firestick on Netflix or prime. Only used the virgin box a little bit. It's a v5 box which has a Dolby output setting which I've enabled.
Most of my testing is on my firestick on Netflix or prime. Only used the virgin box a little bit. It's a v5 box which has a Dolby output setting which I've enabled.
Even the suggested audio splitter will not resolve the Amazon fire-stick Apps delay issue, in the same way it does not resolve any TV in-built Apps.. so the only thing you can do is either...
  1. Speak to Panasonic support and see if they have any suggestions. The Sonos Beam is just a speaker and it can only play the audio when it receives it and the Panasonic is not delivering that quickly enough through HDMI-ARC...
  2. On some TV’s you may find the optical port will work a little quicker and so try switching the Beam to optical using the provided adapter. Obviously you will lose the HDMI-CEC control if you go down that route, but that’s relatively minor if it solves the lip-sync issue for DD 5.1 output.
Might email Panasonic but probably won't hear from them within the return window for the beam.

Not planning to buy a splitter as these things should work without needing extra hardware but I appreciate that it's worked for others.

If I did get a splitter then surely connecting the firestick to that instead of the TV would fix it.

Gonna do some more testing tomorrow and will post back if I improve this.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I've got lipsync problems on my samsung q8
Tv with sonos beam and sky q with hdmi pluged in to hdmi arc on tv tried all settings new hdmi lead to no avail so I've ended up using a optical lead pluged directly in to sky q box and beam not ideal but aslong as only watching sky it works not happy after investing over £3000 in new technology and it doesn't work together
Fez.

So you've connected your sky box straight to the beam and now have no lip sync problems?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yes connected an opticle lead direct from sky q box to the beam no lipsync problems but this defears the object cant use any apps off the tv or even use the tv as a tv now its just a monitor for watching sky q
HI all

Just bought the beam. Got it set up on my Panasonic DX750B via ARC. I mainly use my 4K firestick for movies etc.

I am having lip sync problems when the TV is set output bitstream but totally fine with PCM. Has anyone fixed this issue without buying extra equipment as the beam is expensive enough.

I read on av forums that the only real difference between bitstream and PCM is where the processing is done. Like if you select bitstream on the TV then it is the TV that does the work but if you select PCM then the beam does the processing and the sound should be the same. Is this true?

I have a few days window to return the beam if necessary but it sounds good and I'd rather fix the stupid sync problems.

Thanks.

Now I had the same problem. I had 4 play three’s and recently got a connect amp. I looked more and more into having sound from my Panasonic tv to my speakers, so invested in a beam.

Now on the sound from my Sky Q going to my tv then to the beam via arc was spot on, on the normal setting. As soon as I switched to Dolby on Sky Q, I was getting delays via the hdmi arc on the tv, and also the optical output on the tv, yet from the optical from the sky to the beam was spot on.

Frustrated as I wanted control the beam, and also sound from PS4 and NAS, I kept looking into it and funny enough a customer where I worked suggested the tv wasn’t getting the sound quick enough from the sky to tv when set to Dolby, I only had £1 hdmi wires from pound shop, so I went out and spent £20 on two sets of wires, which said supported up to 4K video and Dolby, Dolby Atmos etc in sound, so used one cable to tv from sky, and other from tv arc to beam, and hey presto! No more sound delay.

Next time someone says all hdmi are the same, and your been ripped off for expensive ones, just try them and take them back if no change.

Check your hdmi wires and maybe test some 4K hdmi to see if it improves.
Just finished reading through the whole thread. Same lip sync issues here on a Panasonic VIERA TX-58DX902.

Sky in DD, Xbox one X both have issues, however the Apple TV 4k is the closest with hardly any lip sync sometimes? Will play ok with itune purchases, but can vary dramatically when using infuse.

Have opted to order the https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item as advised by NeilAngels above. Will let you know how I get on with it.
I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated: 171023-002526.

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

Prodan, have you heard anything further regarding your case? I have an LGOLEDB7A and am living with delay on a $2000.00 SONOS surround sound system and am quite frustrated.

Do you still have Patrick Spence’s email? I would like to send him an email as well. Spent over $4000.00 on a TV and Audio experience that is frustrating me on a daily basis. I think we all deserve answers at this point.