If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

FWIW, I still see lip sync delay with pass-through enabled. I have an LG C9 and Sonos Beam connected directly to the TV via the HDMI ARC port. 

My lip sync issue persists

LG 48 CX - audio totally out of sync with e arc on/ off

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I got my Beam today and I am not seeing any lip sync issues.

Devices:
1. OLED65E6P (2016 model) firmware version = 5.30.30 Audio is set to LG Sound Sync (Optical); AV Sync Adjustment is Off
2. Tivo Bolt. Set to output Dolby Digital.
3. Apple TV 4k. I could not modify the audio output setting. It was greyed out.
4. Xbox One X. Set to bitstream and dolby digital
5. Nintendo Switch
6. Super Nintendo Retro Console

The connection between the TV and the Beam is as follows:
OLED65E6P --> 6' Amazon optical cable --> optical coupler --> Sonos HDMI to Optical adapter --> 3' Amazon HDMI cable --> Sonos Beam

The Tivo, AppleTV, Xbox, Nintendos are all are connected to HDMI ports on the OLED65E6P. Just to be clear, I am not using the optical output on any of those devices.

*You may be wondering why I needed the optical cable and coupler. It's because I couldn't run another HDMI cable through the existing holes in my wall. The optical cable was a lot easier to fish through the existing holes. The coupler is a $4 one I got off Amazon. ;)

I did need to manually press the volume up button on the Beam to get it at a level that I liked. It was set very low out of the box. Beam seems to remember the level even after I power off devices, so that's good.

Overall, I am really pleased with the improvement in sound quality. Much better than the built in sound bar that is on the E6P.

You won’t see a delay as the beam is the only Sonos product with a hdmi connection. The issue is worth optical. You need a hdmi switch to solve the problem
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Right. I have an LGB7 and had my beam yesterday. Over hdmi arc and Dolby digital the audio sync problems are there. Nothing can fix it as it’s an issue with lg and processing DD. I turned both the tv and my sky q to output pcm, and the issue completely disappears. I have had dialogue with Sonos and they have told me PCM is no different from DD for the beam, and there is no noticable difference. Can anyone confirm if this is true. If it is I am keeping my beam. If it isn’t, it’s going back!!

With PCM you won’t be able to get 5.1 sound if you decide to purchase orhers speakers to extend your system.

Correct, what is the point spending 100s of dollars only to get pcm? Funny.
Another story of sync woes here. I have a Philips 50PSUS7303. When I output audio to Mulitchannel, the audio lags the video. When I output to stereo it is OK.When I use an HDMI extractor it seems OK.
I had a full AV receiver/Surround sound and replaced it with Sonos, which has proven to be a downgrade in many ways.
It still seems odd that the fault is in the TV end? Across different manufacturers? I am not optimistic for a solution.
Why would that seem odd? You've even proven your case, by using an HDMI extractor. Given that, how could it be anything other than the TV at fault?

And it's possible that all of these manufacturers have purchased the part in question from the same place.
Why would that seem odd? You've even proven your case, by using an HDMI extractor. Given that, how could it be anything other than the TV at fault?

And it's possible that all of these manufacturers have purchased the part in question from the same place.

Yeah fair enough, although the HDMI splitter has just added delay on the video front meaning I can fix the sync in the Sonos app. Maybe all soundbars have the same problem and most TV's aren't capable of outputting multi-channel audio without delay.

Either way, it's just a frustrating situation when I bought the Sonos to simplify things.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
This problem has been going on long enough ive read post 2 years old new tvs have come and gone firmware updates and yet this problem still exists 1 second delay.
I saved hard purchase my new tv ( Samsung) sonos beam 2 sonos 1 over £3000 and yet the dreaded lip sync problem still exists ive tried allsorts to no avail. running my hdmi lead from my beam in to the optical connector straight in to sky q box
This works for sky viewing but if i want to use the apps on my tv no good if i want to watch a station on my tv no good
I may aswell of set fire to £ 3000
Would i recomend sonos yes but not for surround sound connected to what seems to be all up to date TVs
Very very disappointed
I'll certainly agree with the frustration part of that. Sometimes we end up paying for all of the extra technology we use in our daily lives.

I’m not sure if you mean no lip sync issues, or no lip sync.

If you set your Apple Tav’s audio settings properly, it will only send Dolby Digital audio to your TV, and the TV would then forward that to your Sonos.

That may be a moot point when Sonos releases S2, we don’t know yet, and it would also depend on your connection method. For instance, I have an optical connection, which I believe can’t carry Dolby Digital Plus anyway. 

Badge
I've experienced so much frustration with the combination of the Sonos Playbase + Sub, and the LG OLED65E7P. At this point, I wish I had never invested in the Sonos gear to begin with. It gives me no joy to say that, as the other aspects of the Sonos system are fantastic, and I really appreciate the recent addition of AirPlay to the Playbase.

I've tried two different HDMI switches with optical audio extraction, and found that neither one was sufficient for my system. While audio extraction definitely solved the audio / video sync issue, other unacceptable problems were introduced into the mix. Neither of the devices properly supports Dolby Vision or 4K at 60Hz, and each of them added undesirable glitches to the video with every connected source. For the reference of others in this thread, these are the ones I've tried so far:

Has anyone else been successful with the combination of an LG OLED display, a Sonos Playbase (or Playbar, I suppose), and a third-party device in-between to resolve audio / video sync? If so, can you please share your experiences and the devices that you used to achieve this?

At this point, I'm thinking I should just scrap the Sonos system altogether and buy a receiver and some decent speakers. It's not as attractive, nor as flexible as a Sonos system, but at least I could guarantee audio / video sync with surround sound support.

Thanks to everyone who has been providing help in this long and ongoing thread. I've definitely been helped by many in here, and I really appreciate it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
@RedFive If you are willing to stick with the faulty TV, you can introduce a home cinema amp with support for switching both picture and sound (as long as it has toslink output).
Badge

So I’m not having this issue with my LG CX and Marantz NR1510 because all of my sources are connected to the Marantz instead of directly to the TV?

I have same issue. Persisted with LG support - they replaced motherboard eventually but made no difference either. Still have audio delay.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Has anyone tried using an HDMI to optical adapter taking the sound out of the TV via ARC? (or is this what you mean by Audio extraction?). this is a common issue across all types of TVs, it seems, going out of the TV to Sonos via optical. My solution until Sony fixed it was an optical switch so that I could go directly from the source (Sky Q in my case) and switch to the other optical channel when I wanted other sources. As I said in an earlier post, Sony did have a solution for the problem but it was initially unusable due to picture issues when the SYNC function was in use.

Possibly, yes. I’m guessing you’re stripping out the audio signal before it gets to the TV’s electronics. 

OLED LG CX 48 (with eARC).  No external devices, just using LG WebOS apps for Amazon, Netflix, and HBO Max (cast).

I need advice.  I have not yet purchased a Sonos bar.  (I do have the Sonos One rears, though.)

I am trying to decide between a Beam (fits better spacewise) and an ARC.  I really, really do not want to have to tinker around with lipsync issues.  Is the Sonos ARC truly superior in the lipsync-tinker area to the Beam?  Does the Beam have lipsync issues in my configuration (i.e., internal apps only)?

PS: It is 2020 now.  TVs have microphones.  Why can’t they figure out for themselves what the right lipsync is?  Similarly, why can’t Sonos speaker with their (ARM?) CPUs figure out for themselves whether they are calibrated right?  This all seems arcane.

For those of you that may be blaming Sonos for this issue, I have an LG OLED C8, and an LG SK10Y soundbar, and I have the same sync issues when the sound on my DirecTV box is set to Dolby. For the work around I have a question: my DirecTV box has HDMI, and Digital Audio Out (RCA jack, not Digital Optical). Soundbar has Digital Optical and ARC. Can somebody please recommend the exact configuration and products to use which are available in US?
Badge

So then this issue wouldn’t be there if the Sonos Arc had multiple HDMI inputs like a regular soundbar / AV Receiver and I had all my sourced going through the Sonos Arc.

All devices would connect to the switch, instead of the TV. There would then be a single HDMI cable from the switch to the TV for the video, and an optical cable from the switch to the Beam to carry the sound. That way, your TV can't delay the audio signal.

Thanks, I'm almost there. There's just one thing I need clearing up. Let's say I use this device: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

How would I still get sound through my Beam whenever I play native content on my TV (i.e. from the Spotify or Youtube app on my tv). Would the single HDMI cable running from the switch output have to be connected to the HDMI ARC input on my tv? Or would that then not process the signals of my other connected devices (PS4 Pro etc.) correctly?
In every case that has been "solved", save one that I can recall, the "fix" has been to pull the audio out of the HDMI stream before it goes into the TV, so that the TV can't add any additional delay to the data stream.

So, Rab63, in your case you could wire your soundbar directly to the DIrecTV box's optical output, and should be fine. Of course, you then lose the ability to have anything else connected to the soundbar, like DVD, game consoles, etc.

Everyone that I've seen report back on the use of an HDMI Switch/extractor has indicated that it works for them. So you'd plug all "source" devices into the switch/extractor, pull the audio out for the soundbar (of any type, Sonos usually, because this is a Sonos board), and send the video on to the TV via an HDMI connection.
This is disappointing. I just purchased an LG OLED C7 and a playbar. I have the same problem. I wish I saw this last week.
Userlevel 2
Issue with using an HDMI Switch is that Sonos won't play DD+; so any streaming service (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO) will get played as PCM/Stereo by Sonos as they ALL use DD+. So you either need to go through something that will transcode DD+ into DD (LG TV should theoretically do this, Apple TV 4k is only other one that will do this) or you get crappy stereo sound...
Thanks for reaching out everyone. Usually, lip sync issues come from something handling the audio along the way, so a recent change could be due to an update on your TV if the PLAYBAR is wired in there. Try wiring directly into the source to see what the sync is like.

In any case, we'd love to investigate this with you further. I'd suggest giving us a call so we can work on this in real time and gather as much information as possible. Our contact information can be found here.
Badge
I did the same three weeks ago and don’t regret a thing. Went for a Samsung QLED which works flawlessly. And best of all, no more dealing with LG. 😃