If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Badge +1
It's not only a LG problem. I have a Philips 55POS9002 (OLED) TV. When using Netflix through the Apple TV everything is in sync. But when I'm using mine cablebox from Telenet (Belgium) there is sometime a lip sync issue. it really depends on what kind of audio signal is transmitting. When I change the audio settings on the TV from multichannel (bypass) to stereo. Everything is fine again.

When so many different TV's are having this problem from different brands then I think the fault is on the Sonos.
Badge +1
So if it's fine in Netflix, from the Sonos perspective there's no change from their side on using your Telenet box.

I have the same issue with the YouTube app on Netflix. I know the youTube app on the ATV does only support at the moment stereo. But I'm having different results when using YouTube on mine Smart TV which does support different audio signals (surround,...)

Like I said before it really depends on the audio signal which Sonos is getting. When reading different forums you will find that many people are having lip sync issues.
Understood. It's my contention that the delay is being introduced inside the TV, which runs the different sound types (stereo versus Dolby Digital 5.1) through different paths inside the hardware.
Badge

A switch, with an optical output, certainly would remove the delay that is being caused by the TV’s internal electronics. 

Is there any you could recommend? I contacted monoprice but they dont have one that supports 4k signals. 

@Marc_51, as soon as I find one, I’ll be posting it where ever I can. So far, nada. But then again, I suspect the market for such a device has increased many fold, so it would not surprise me to see something two or three months down the road. I’ll make do with HDMI-ARC for now. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Having lived with the issue since I bought a Sony XE9005 in January (now an XF9005, swapped by Sony) I can report that the recent Sony firmware update (Sept 18) does appear to solve this if you connect via optical out from the TV to the Playbar.

Previously, if I switched Audio Sync ON, it synced the sound but produced a brightness flash on camera changes, but the update has solved this (although it's not directly addressed in the list of issues from Sony).

For the first time in 9 months, I have been able to remove the optical switch I've been using to get my Sky Q box audio and video to sync up.

Update - a week or so in, Sony HAVEN'T fixed this completely and there are still some brightness issues on camera changes, but they are greatly reduced from how they used to be when Sync was ON. Debating with myself whether or not to go back to my optical switch and wait to see if Sony do better in another firmware update.
Badge

A switch, with an optical output, certainly would remove the delay that is being caused by the TV’s internal electronics. 

Also, when connecting the siwtch is it best to connect it to the EARC HDMI input?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have been tinkering with settings for over a year and still having issues...I’m ready to try the audio extractor. I have an LG B7 OLED, Apple TV 4K and playbar. Obviously, I don’t want to lose 4K or HDR. What is everyone’s thoughts on this? 

OREI HDA-912 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0 Audio Converter Extractor - SPDIF + 3.5mm Output - HDCP 2.2 - Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHYXVTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_z.o5EbNVMWN4H

There is also a 4K Arc version as well, should I need that?  I was just thinking I’d run Apple TV to the extractor. HDMI from Extractor to TV and optical output from extractor to HDMI. 

Thoughts?

Do you have any addition source devices other than the ATV?  If so, you may want to find one with more HDMI inputs.  I bought a product from J-Tech that’s also a good brand. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
As an update to my post: The motherboard was replaced on my B7V, however, it did not solve the issue with lipsync 😕 maximum of -5 was closest though still not in sync. I will now wait for feedback from LG on next steps.

No, sorry, I don’t have any personal experience with them. My Vizio doesn’t mess with the pass through signal. Just search on Amazon, there are dozens, you can choose based on which features you want, and once you know which brand/model you want, you can get it anywhere that has it. Amazon is a great place to do research, but sometimes not necessarily the place to purchase.

Which connection on the TV would depend on whether you’re using apps on the TV, and a switch that accepts an ARC signal to send out through the optical signal. But if you’re not, the an HDMI video signal is the same across all inputs. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have an LG B7A and experience audio delay with my Xbox one x, I've pretty much given up.. Thankfully my ATV 4k doesn't suffer from it. I wonder if LG would be able to offer more of a delay then -5 ? If they did it would probably fix the problem for a lot of us.
Thanks. Have not got any processing options selected. On the Panasonic they all grey out when a soundbar is connected. When you say that with bitstream the TV is processing the signal so it's own speakers can play it then does it really matter if its not the TV speakers we are using? Isn't it better to let the sonos process the signal itself? Or are you saying that the pcm signal itself is garbage and the beam will just be playing stereo?

I watched some scenes from Kong skull island and both settings sounded pretty identical. I'm no audiophile but I do have a good ear and have returned speakers and headsets in the past for tiny annoyances. But with these between pcm and bitstream on the TV I am not hearing much if any difference. Is the beam using the pcm signal and processing it just as good as the TV?

Was thinking of trying through optical. Could it maybe cut out some hdmi delay?
Thanks. Have not got any processing options selected. On the Panasonic they all grey out when a soundbar is connected. When you say that with bitstream the TV is processing the signal so it's own speakers can play it then does it really matter if its not the TV speakers we are using? Isn't it better to let the sonos process the signal itself? Or are you saying that the pcm signal itself is garbage and the beam will just be playing stereo?

I watched some scenes from Kong skull island and both settings sounded pretty identical. I'm no audiophile but I do have a good ear and have returned speakers and headsets in the past for tiny annoyances. But with these between pcm and bitstream on the TV I am not hearing much if any difference. Is the beam using the pcm signal and processing it just as good as the TV?

Was thinking of trying through optical. Could it maybe cut out some hdmi delay?

Enable the TV internal speakers first and then turn off the TV's audio enhancements and then switch to the HDMI-ARC, or Optical, output. You should not assume the features are disabled because they are greyed out when you switchover to using the external (Beam) speaker.

Also get latest TV firmware and perhaps speak to the Panasonic support desk, who maybe able to assist you further.

If all fails then use an audio splitter and the Beams optical adapter to remedy the audio delays.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have been tinkering with settings for over a year and still having issues...I’m ready to try the audio extractor. I have an LG B7 OLED, Apple TV 4K and playbar. Obviously, I don’t want to lose 4K or HDR. What is everyone’s thoughts on this? 

OREI HDA-912 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0 Audio Converter Extractor - SPDIF + 3.5mm Output - HDCP 2.2 - Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHYXVTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_z.o5EbNVMWN4H

There is also a 4K Arc version as well, should I need that?  I was just thinking I’d run Apple TV to the extractor. HDMI from Extractor to TV and optical output from extractor to HDMI. 

Thoughts?

Do you have any addition source devices other than the ATV?  If so, you may want to find one with more HDMI inputs.  I bought a product from J-Tech that’s also a good brand. 

No - just the Apple TV. That said, the ARC version also has more inputs as well. Not sure if I need that or not...

I did some additional browsing of this Orei.  You may want to check their web site directly for other related products that I did not see on Amazon.  I’m not sure if they are new models with more features.  Please let me know how this goes, because I bought a Optical In (3) to Opital Out (1). (which uses the Optical to HDMI adapter for my Beam.  I am interested in knowing if what you considering will work and also pass the DD+, which the Optical does not. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
As an update to my post: The motherboard was replaced on my B7V, however, it did not solve the issue with lipsync 😕 maximum of -5 was closest though still not in sync. I will now wait for feedback from LG on next steps.

Another update. I was told I will have another mainboard replacement next week after five calls to LG since the first replacement (four this week!). I'm sad to say my patience with LGs customer support is worn thin at this point due to lack of following up as promised (and the unresolved issue). I can understand that they aren't magicians, but calling a customer back as promised does not require witchcraft, only a phone. Hope they can cook up a mainboard that resolves the issue so I can focus on enjoying content instead of this s....

Due to more poor experience with LGs support and no service in sight I have now forwarded all my written communication with LG and a final summary of the calls with LG to the sales channel with a copy to LG and asked for a complete refund/return of the TV. I will call the consumer rights authorities later today for advice. LG have been aware of the issue with my product now for two months next week without resolving it. Completely unacceptable.

I have a Sonos beam and two play 1s connected to 75" sony Bravia x950g via HDMI arc. I found that the tv video was ahead of the sound when playing through Sonos system if I was watching TV with a charter spectrum box. I had the sound delay sensibly set to zero on the Sonos app. However, when I streamed content through the tv via the Netflix or Amazon video apps, the sound synced up just fine. 

I just now seemingly fixed the sound lag when watching cable TV by setting the 'A/V sync' to ON under the TV's audio output settings. When I had the A/V sync set to AUTO, it seemed to sync up sometimes. When I had it OFF, the sound lagged quite a bit. I hope this fixes the cable tv sound lag permanently and doesn't lag again for whatever reason.

Maybe this is a new setting on the Sony TV to fix this issue. I don't think I really changed any of the other sound settings when I first set up the tv months ago. It would be nice to get some guidance on the other Sony TV sound settings to optimize the Sonos experience. There are only a handful of settings that most folks are probably curious about regardless the brand of TV.

Badge

No, sorry, I don’t have any personal experience with them. My Vizio doesn’t mess with the pass through signal. Just search on Amazon, there are dozens, you can choose based on which features you want, and once you know which brand/model you want, you can get it anywhere that has it. Amazon is a great place to do research, but sometimes not necessarily the place to purchase.

Which connection on the TV would depend on whether you’re using apps on the TV, and a switch that accepts an ARC signal to send out through the optical signal. But if you’re not, the an HDMI video signal is the same across all inputs. 

Thank you so much for all of your help. I have a switch here at home I am going to try first prior to making a purchase to see if that helps solve the problem. Thank you all that responded and answered my questions. Stay safe out there! 

Ok so I connected everything to the hdmi switch. Ran the optical cable from the switch to the play at and one hdmi to the television since the switch has all other cables running into it and I still have a bit of a delay. Do I need to turn off any audio processing on the tv or is that now pointless? 

Badge

I have the same issue with a Philips OLED TV. I complained to Sonos & Philips. Sonos said it was the TV. Philips sent me an upgraded TV but the issue remains. Sonos say it is the TV that is the causing the issue when trying to process the 5.1 signal. My workaround is an optical splitter which isn’t ideal. They say TV’s with eARC are preferable but I don’t know if that’s true.

Is a HDMI splitter a better option?

I am contemplating asking Philips to take the TV back and I will get another TV (with eARC). But reading the forums I may get another make TV with the same issue. So frustrating.

I picked up a cheap HDMI splitter/audio extractor and it fixes the audio delay issues I had, unfortunately, there are issues with the transfer rate of 4K video using the splitter that cause a flickering screen, which is to be expected from a £16.99 splitter!

There are many splitters out there, and some (like mine) advertise as working with 4K@60fps, but they are hit and miss I feel and mostly seem to be cheap and nasty solutions.

If you only have one external device to hook up you could try the HDFury Arcana, but it’s expensive.

My ultimate solution is a new TV, but I am due an upgrade anyway.

I have three devices (set top box, PS4 & TV) which I would need to connect. I have just found out that the HDFury Arcana doesn’t support the Beam anyway sadly. A new TV may be the best option for me but it’s a lottery as I would have no way to know which TV’s/males have this issue and which ones don’t.

I think your best option is to try a splitter/audio extractor. Are you using a base PS4 or Pro? I ask because if you don’t need 4k support then there are more options available.

I have been recommended this which may be similar to what you’re referring to maybe? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08611PJKR/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_Jdh9FbPPR6B7K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think if I used that I would connect the Beam to this via optical, and then connect the TV, PS4 & Satellite to this via hdmi, with 1 hdmi from this to my TV.
I have a PS4 currently but I hope to get a PS5 in the near future.

Since I have the new motherboard I disabled lip sync on my TV...

That would be pointless, the sound is not being processed by the TV, it is being extracted by the switch and sent to the PLAYBAR before it reaches the TV.

You’re the first person who has reported that there is still a delay in this setup, can I ask what source you’re watching? Not what program, specifically, but what device is generating the signal  being sent to the switch? Can you supply a link to which switch you’re using? Can you also confirm that the audio settings on this device, actually every device you have connected to the switch, is set to Dolby Digital only, and not any other codec?

So now I'm reading that the new consoles won't have an optical out port. This somewhat scuppers me as my current setup is my devices connected to an optical splitter and then to the beam. Going through Arc adds a delay so that's not really an option for me. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to AV stuff, does anyone have any suggestions? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
a new motherboard really fixes this issues on LG Oleds?
Badge

That would be pointless, the sound is not being processed by the TV, it is being extracted by the switch and sent to the PLAYBAR before it reaches the TV.

You’re the first person who has reported that there is still a delay in this setup, can I ask what source you’re watching? Not what program, specifically, but what device is generating the signal  being sent to the switch? Can you supply a link to which switch you’re using? Can you also confirm that the audio settings on this device, actually every device you have connected to the switch, is set to Dolby Digital only, and not any other codec?

I am using a firestick. The switch I’m using was purchased on monoprice. 

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15375

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
a new motherboard really fixes this issues on LG Oleds?

NO! Lipsync issue with Dolby digital 5.1 content over PrimeVideo and two different HDMI sources.
Badge

Just came to put my own hat in the ring, 2018 LG TV with PS4 pro and Sonos surround system, exact same issue. I won’t be reading the entire 17 page thread but if they’re not going to properly fix the issue I’d even appreciate finer tuned audio delay settings...