If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Has ANYONE been able to successfully use the Sonos Arc as advertised for AtmosDD+ or even DD 5.1 content via external devices (Roku, AppleTV, Xbox, PS, BluRay) routed through ARC/eARC without experiencing punishing lip sync audio delays?

It seems like everyone’s experience boils down to one of these unsatisfactory outcomes

• I use splitter device so I can bypass TV and send my digital audio straight to my Sonos (negating the simplicity of Sonos’ design)
  • I only use my TV’s internal streaming apps (which seem to be able to pass Atmos to the Arc without audio delay issues)
  • I’ve turned off digital bitstream and am just using PCM (killing Atmos and just giving you stereo)
  • I fiddle with the audio delay settings on the TV (if it even goes in the right direction) which works sometimes but of course the delay depends on the type of content, so therefore not a reliable fix.

I also haven’t seen any evidence that eARC solves this problem. Lots of people are experiencing all these issues with eARC televisions according to what I read in these threads. 

I would love a list of eARC compatible televisions that do not create delays when passing through Atmos bitstream content from external devices. If buying a new eARC television was the $2000 fix to this solution I would be open to it, but I have no confidence that this will fix it.  I notice people here are quick to blame the TV manufacturers here, but if Sonos releases a device that is MADE for Atmos and forces us to use a much more nascent technology (ARC and/or eARC) for that Atmos, and all new HDTVs including the new eARC ones from reputable manufacturers systematically introduce horrible delays, then this product isn’t ready for prime time. 

Nearly £3000 for a tv i would hope it would work property 

You would hope so… it’s rather a lot of money for a TV… I hope it is OLED and has multiple HDMI-eARC ports too for that price?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@kevmonster I got the TV in November.  But didn’t get the Beam until early January, so I couldn’t return the set.  Amazon gives 30 days to return.  Best Buy gives 15 days I think.  So everything I did had to go directly through Samsung.  I bought the X950H through Crutchfield.

Update. I have retained the set up through optical I describe above and used the hdmi optical adapter that comes with the beam to go from the switcher to the beam.

So in summary Dolby digital with no sync issues on a LG TV acheived by
Running optical from sky Q to optical switcher
Running optical from x box to optical switcher
Running optical from the LG TV to optical switcher

Running optical to hdmi optical adapter that came with the beam and then connected to the beam.

It all works except Alexa will now not control the tv.

Hope this is useful. Regards

Josh

So the beam itself (hdmi arc) did nothing to improve the sync issues? I’m assuming you tried that entire setup without the optical switcher before connecting all that up.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Has ANYONE been able to successfully use the Sonos Arc as advertised for AtmosDD+ or even DD 5.1 content via external devices (Roku, AppleTV, Xbox, PS, BluRay) routed through ARC/eARC without experiencing punishing lip sync audio delays?

It seems like everyone’s experience boils down to one of these unsatisfactory outcomes

• I use splitter device so I can bypass TV and send my digital audio straight to my Sonos (negating the simplicity of Sonos’ design)
  • I only use my TV’s internal streaming apps (which seem to be able to pass Atmos to the Arc without audio delay issues)
  • I’ve turned off digital bitstream and am just using PCM (killing Atmos and just giving you stereo)
  • I fiddle with the audio delay settings on the TV (if it even goes in the right direction) which works sometimes but of course the delay depends on the type of content, so therefore not a reliable fix.

I also haven’t seen any evidence that eARC solves this problem. Lots of people are experiencing all these issues with eARC televisions according to what I read in these threads. 

I would love a list of eARC compatible televisions that do not create delays when passing through Atmos bitstream content from external devices. If buying a new eARC television was the $2000 fix to this solution I would be open to it, but I have no confidence that this will fix it.  I notice people here are quick to blame the TV manufacturers here, but if Sonos releases a device that is MADE for Atmos and forces us to use a much more nascent technology (ARC and/or eARC) for that Atmos, and all new HDTVs including the new eARC ones from reputable manufacturers systematically introduce horrible delays, then this product isn’t ready for prime time. 

I do not have those audio delays you describe with my equipment utilizing hdmi e-arc. As posted in this thread previously, all tvs with e-arc capability must include mandatory lip sync correction.

I had some prior issues with audio dropouts via hdmi e-arc, but they were eventually resolved by a Sony firmware update (not Sonos).  And based on the reported firmware updates by other tv manufacturers (LG, Samsung) over the past year to address various hdmi related issues, its pretty clear to me that the tv industry’s hdmi implementation has fallen short of reasonable expectations. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I cannot.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Update. I have retained the set up through optical I describe above and used the hdmi optical adapter that comes with the beam to go from the switcher to the beam.

Running optical to hdmi optical adapter that came with the beam and then connected to the beam.

Josh

So the beam itself (hdmi arc) did nothing to improve the sync issues? I’m assuming you tried that entire setup without the optical switcher before connecting all that up.

Hi

Yes tried arc first but prudently left all the optical cables in place but not connected. Like i said the moment i switched to DD from normal on the Q the sync issue appeared. Very disappointing that this still happens. The beam was no better than the playbar re this. Re sound, the beam is excellent, got it setup with a sub and 2 play threes as surrounds.

Josh

Josh

So, what is the switcher doing to the signal that fixes the audio sync issue?
Badge

I have the same issue with a Philips OLED TV. I complained to Sonos & Philips. Sonos said it was the TV. Philips sent me an upgraded TV but the issue remains. Sonos say it is the TV that is the causing the issue when trying to process the 5.1 signal. My workaround is an optical splitter which isn’t ideal. They say TV’s with eARC are preferable but I don’t know if that’s true.

Is a HDMI splitter a better option?

I am contemplating asking Philips to take the TV back and I will get another TV (with eARC). But reading the forums I may get another make TV with the same issue. So frustrating.

I picked up a cheap HDMI splitter/audio extractor and it fixes the audio delay issues I had, unfortunately, there are issues with the transfer rate of 4K video using the splitter that cause a flickering screen, which is to be expected from a £16.99 splitter!

There are many splitters out there, and some (like mine) advertise as working with 4K@60fps, but they are hit and miss I feel and mostly seem to be cheap and nasty solutions.

If you only have one external device to hook up you could try the HDFury Arcana, but it’s expensive.

My ultimate solution is a new TV, but I am due an upgrade anyway.

I have three devices (set top box, PS4 & TV) which I would need to connect. I have just found out that the HDFury Arcana doesn’t support the Beam anyway sadly. A new TV may be the best option for me but it’s a lottery as I would have no way to know which TV’s/males have this issue and which ones don’t.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I’m afraid you are asking the wrong person 😃. No idea but it works. Maybe the fact that all the audio is going through optical and not being processed someway by the tv as it bypasses the Tv. One way to check that would be to go back to hdmi from tv to beam and only use the tv Netflix app ie the sound doesn’t come from an external box. That would then show it is some sort of issue caused by how the LG processes sound from external sources. Complete guess as this is not my area of expertise !
Userlevel 1
Badge
I’m afraid you are asking the wrong person 😃. No idea but it works. Maybe the fact that all the audio is going through optical and not being processed someway by the tv as it bypasses the Tv. One way to check that would be to go back to hdmi from tv to beam and only use the tv Netflix app ie the sound doesn’t come from an external box. That would then show it is some sort of issue caused by how the LG processes sound from external sources. Complete guess as this is not my area of expertise !

You are correct. It is down to the TV.

For anyone who joins this thread please have a read and you will see most if not all troubleshooting has been done. It will save you some time trying to work it out. I welcome any new ideas but I think we can safely say this is a TV processing issue. There is a lot of doubt as to whether LG will fix this issue and the optical splitter work around is the only solution. Any device that doesn’t have an optical port will unfortunately not be fixed unless it has its own delay correction, e.g. Kodi or Nvidia Shield.

It would be great if a Sonos rep could chime in here with an update. I feel that only Sonos can provide the pressure on LG to fix this issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Hi

Just one thing the ATV 4K does not have optical out but I connect it to the TV via hdmi and then the tv is optical to the sonos as described above. There is no lip sync issue with the ATV. Just letting you know in case people wanted to know if the ATV 4K could be used.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi

Just one thing the ATV 4K does not have optical out but I connect it to the TV via hdmi and then the tv is optical to the sonos as described above. There is no lip sync issue with the ATV. Just letting you know in case people wanted to know if the ATV 4K could be used.

Interesting so technically the optical switcher isn't being used for the ATV 4K and yet no delay?
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Hi

Correct. There is something about the Apple TV 4K when you have it set to force Dolby 5.1 that does not have the issue. You do not need an optical converter for the Apple TV 4K, it simply does not have an issue over HDMI.

Just another plus for what a fantastic device the Apple TV 4K is.

2019 Panasonic OLED owner here, same issues.

ARC was the main reason I chose the Beam, so pretty disappointed that the only way around this issue is using an optical splitter. 

Using an amp with ARC or another brand of soundbar proves to have no issues, and yet with any source or input I’ve also got this audio delay behind the video. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Josh

so I have an LG B7A and my beam is arriving today so in anticipation I switched my Xbox to bitstream and dolby digital a few days ago and even with the internal TV speakers I noticed a delay when playing games on my Xbox as soon as I go back to stereo delay gone so I knew that obviously the beam would have the issue as well since its just passing the audio and I just kind of figured I would need a switch but I kept digging and found another site and a fixed that worked at least for my TV speakers and im pretty sure it will be the same with the beam as again its just passing the audio, if you go into your LG menu make sure you have the latest firmware and then go to sound then go to AV sync adjustment and turn it on and then turn on bypass on that same menu and it immediately cleared up my issue at least so needless to say Im pretty happy as I want to be able to play games in 5.1 if at all possible and my main media consumption device is ATV 4K so its nice to hear that has no issues... Now just waiting for my delivery.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Josh

so I have an LG B7A and my beam is arriving today so in anticipation I switched my Xbox to bitstream and dolby digital a few days ago and even with the internal TV speakers I noticed a delay when playing games on my Xbox as soon as I go back to stereo delay gone so I knew that obviously the beam would have the issue as well since its just passing the audio and I just kind of figured I would need a switch but I kept digging and found another site and a fixed that worked at least for my TV speakers and im pretty sure it will be the same with the beam as again its just passing the audio, if you go into your LG menu make sure you have the latest firmware and then go to sound then go to AV sync adjustment and turn it on and then turn on bypass on that same menu and it immediately cleared up my issue at least so needless to say Im pretty happy as I want to be able to play games in 5.1 if at all possible and my main media consumption device is ATV 4K so its nice to hear that has no issues... Now just waiting for my delivery.

Yeah that fix seems to work for Xbox from what I've read. It does not work for most cable tv boxes and many other devices.
Badge +1
I recently bought an LG 65 B7D TV and can confirm the audio delay issue with a Playbar based 5.1 setup. All devices are directly connected to the LG TV and the optical output is connected to the Playbar.

I can confirm the Apple TV 4K situation. The audio is perfectly in sync here when the Audio output is set fixed to 5.1 (and HDMI is set to Dolby Vision). It even converts DTS Audio (e.g. from the Infuse App) to 5.1 AC3.

However there is a huge delay with my cable set top box (VU+ Uno 4K SE). I have to adjust the Dolby Digital delay in the set top box to -425ms(!!) in order to get the audio in sync. I haven't tried the PS4 and Nintendo Switch yet.

I didn't check the current firmware version of my TV yet, the online update says I'm already on the latest version but maybe I have to update manually. I'll double check tonight.

Playbar with lg c9. same issues. heavy sound delay when using external sources like ps4

Hello to all

I have an Apple TV 4 (but not 4K), a LG C7 and a playbar. I have the delay when audio is set on Dolby 5.1 on the Apple TV. I did not catch if there is another setting to apply.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Hello to all

I have an Apple TV 4 (but not 4K), a LG C7 and a playbar. I have the delay when audio is set on Dolby 5.1 on the Apple TV. I did not catch if there is another setting to apply.

There is no other setting you need to apply, other than in my case I have Frame Rate Matching and Dynamic Range Matching turned on. It seems to be only the Apple TV 4K that does not have this issue.

Please add me to the list here of disappointed Sonos Arc owners. 

I just recently purchased a Sonos Arc for my 2017 LG B7 OLED, which is Atmos and ARC compatible. 

I have a brand new Chromecast with Google TV and an XBOX One X (both Atmos compatible) hooked up to the TV, then running audio to the Sonos Arc via the HDMI ARC out (not eARC). All devices and TV set to bitstream (non-PCM). 

When I use my LG TV’s internal streaming apps, audio/video sync is perfect, including Atmos content on Netflix, Vudu etc. Verified via Sonos app that it is receiving full Atmos signal. 

When I try to listen to Dolby content coming from my external devices, the audio is noticeably behind the video.

• Dolby Atmos content from the Chromecast or Xbox works but there is significant delay to the point of unwatchability
  • Non-Atmos Dolby 5.1 content from Chromecast or Xbox is a little bit delayed… noticeable if you’re looking for it.
  • PCM audio from Chromecast or Xbox has no sync issues. 

I’ve messed with all the various audio settings in my TV to make sure any sort of additional processing is removed. I’ve also tried playing with the delay, because LG does offer the option to move sound earlier, but moving it as early as it goes (-5 in the settings) doesn’t fix it enough on Atmos (also it’s not a great fix given that the TV is applying this negative delay to all content on a given input uniformly regardless of audio format. 

I’m totally at a loss on what to do. Buying some third party audio splitter like the Sharc makes the elegance of the Sonos a moot point. And this seems like a pretty systemic issue with many popular TV manufacturers. Even with all the various Sonos and Reddit forum posts, plus this Guardian article (https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/06/that-syncing-feeling-when-your-soundbar-lets-you-down), I’m surprised more people aren't complaining, because I don't think my TV/component combo is any sort of “edge case”… it’s pretty common. Are most people just using their TV’s streaming apps exclusively for Atmos content and therefore not seeing the delay?

From what I understand, even if I upgraded to a new TV like the LG CX that has HDMI 2.1 and eARC, this lip sync would still be a problem because neither Xbox One X nor any streaming box is HDMI 2.1 compatible so it couldn’t utilize more advance synchronization on those devices. 

Where’s the list of popular high quality HDTVs that have been verified as not having this issue with external devices running Atmos?

I really love the look and the sound and the simplicity of the Sonos Arc, and I don't want to return it, but I may be forced to exchange it for a soundbar that doesn’t rely on ARC and just does a more standard receiver-style HDMI passthrough to avoid these audio delays. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I throw in the towel?

Thanks!
Ben 

I got my Beam today and I am not seeing any lip sync issues.

Devices:
1. OLED65E6P (2016 model) firmware version = 5.30.30 Audio is set to LG Sound Sync (Optical); AV Sync Adjustment is Off
2. Tivo Bolt. Set to output Dolby Digital.
3. Apple TV 4k. I could not modify the audio output setting. It was greyed out.
4. Xbox One X. Set to bitstream and dolby digital
5. Nintendo Switch
6. Super Nintendo Retro Console

The connection between the TV and the Beam is as follows:
OLED65E6P --> 6' Amazon optical cable --> optical coupler --> Sonos HDMI to Optical adapter --> 3' Amazon HDMI cable --> Sonos Beam

The Tivo, AppleTV, Xbox, Nintendos are all are connected to HDMI ports on the OLED65E6P. Just to be clear, I am not using the optical output on any of those devices.

*You may be wondering why I needed the optical cable and coupler. It's because I couldn't run another HDMI cable through the existing holes in my wall. The optical cable was a lot easier to fish through the existing holes. The coupler is a $4 one I got off Amazon. ;)

I did need to manually press the volume up button on the Beam to get it at a level that I liked. It was set very low out of the box. Beam seems to remember the level even after I power off devices, so that's good.

Overall, I am really pleased with the improvement in sound quality. Much better than the built in sound bar that is on the E6P.
Right. I have an LGB7 and had my beam yesterday. Over hdmi arc and Dolby digital the audio sync problems are there. Nothing can fix it as it’s an issue with lg and processing DD. I turned both the tv and my sky q to output pcm, and the issue completely disappears. I have had dialogue with Sonos and they have told me PCM is no different from DD for the beam, and there is no noticable difference. Can anyone confirm if this is true. If it is I am keeping my beam. If it isn’t, it’s going back!!
Badge
Just got a message from my client that had purchased the $9000, 77 inch oled. Has the sonos playbar, and a directv hd box. They are getting lip sync issues while watching DTV. I am not there with the client, but Ill double check the dolby digital and PCM settings. If I turn off dolby digital on the directv box, will this eliminate the lip sync issue. Any settings in the OLED I need to change as well?
Right. I have an LGB7 and had my beam yesterday. Over hdmi arc and Dolby digital the audio sync problems are there. Nothing can fix it as it’s an issue with lg and processing DD. I turned both the tv and my sky q to output pcm, and the issue completely disappears. I have had dialogue with Sonos and they have told me PCM is no different from DD for the beam, and there is no noticable difference. Can anyone confirm if this is true. If it is I am keeping my beam. If it isn’t, it’s going back!!

With PCM you won’t be able to get 5.1 sound if you decide to purchase orhers speakers to extend your system.