If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Well, I took delivery of a Playbase and two Play:1 speakers last night to go with my new Sony KD55AF8 TV. I am getting this audio lag. Have been looking at all these threads for hours. It seems that Sony was mentioned early as being affected but now the focus is on LG. Was there a fix for Sony TVs? If not, I’m sending the Sonos equipment back.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Joining the thread with my Xbox Series X, Sonos Arc + Sub Gen 3 + LG 65 CX.

Suffering from audio sync delays occasionally, since I’m new to this setup, I still can’t describe exactly when it occurs.

Screen of this Sony is OLED TV. I rode that Sony uses the same LG OLED screen. Could there be a link?

It's absolutely disgusting hat between LG especially and Sonos that this hasn't been worked out. This is all very expensive equipment that people work hard to pay for, and you get two products which cant even get something so fundamental like Lip Sync right?

I keep checking for a class action lawsuit to be started against LG. Their frontline staff are absolutely useless and just knowingly make things up to get people off the phone. Don't underestimate their desire to wear everyone out until the issue just stops being talked about and we just forget we are using stereo on our TV's instead of Dolby.

As for Sonos, get with the last decade and put a darn HDMI Port on your Playbar and Playbase. HDMI ARC would have solved this whole issue.

I have two beams. Connected to both LG and Samsung TV’s. The sync issue is bad on both. Shocking for the money you pay. 

I too am having the sync issue with a Sony. It’s a X690E. Same thing, read every string I can find. Seemingly no resolution for Sony TVs, and this string which is the most current and active is focused on LG TVs, I’ve tried tweaking every relevant setting on my TV, cable box and Sonos app over the past few days. Some channels have the problem worse than others but ultimately it’s totally unacceptable. I haven’t seen any customer service from rep from Sonos jumping onto these strings which is very disappointing for such a high end but highly flawed product, Waiting for someone to prov the magic solution but seems unlikely.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I too am having the sync issue with a Sony. It’s a X690E. Same thing, read every string I can find. Seemingly no resolution for Sony TVs, and this string which is the most current and active is focused on LG TVs, I’ve tried tweaking every relevant setting on my TV, cable box and Sonos app over the past few days. Some channels have the problem worse than others but ultimately it’s totally unacceptable. I haven’t seen any customer service from rep from Sonos jumping onto these strings which is very disappointing for such a high end but highly flawed product, Waiting for someone to prov the magic solution but seems unlikely.
In my case an HDMI switch fixed the audio delay, I know it sucks to have to add another device but might be worth a shot in your case.

Could not have been a problem of process on Sonos to »translate » the LG signal and to diffuse it on the different speakers?

Not in my opinion, no. To the best of my knowledge, what the PLAYBAR is expecting is the Dolby Digital standard. This is why the PLAYBAR works with so many TVs, it only has to deal with one "standard" signal, and not a signal specific to each kind of TV. So there shouldn't be anything unique about the signal being sent by the LG, it's simply a matter of timing.

In my world, the PLAYBAR is actually a pretty "dumb" device. The only thing it does is take 2 specific types of signals, either stereo (PCM) or Dolby Digital, and do a minimal amount of processing to get it out to the appropriate speakers (the three in the device itself, the SUB and surrounds if they're connected). Not a bunch of processing there.

I do think that some of the issues that have been seen in the past were due to various manufacturers inserting their own special codes added to the Dolby Digital signal so that they could do something special with the manufacturer's soundbars. I would hazard a guess that in some cases, it "broke" the standard that Sonos was expecting, and in other cases, the manufacturers were able to keep it "outside" of the standard, and it had no affect on the Sonos' ability to interpret the signal.

Word of warning, though, fredacqua, this is all entirely supposition on my part. Don't take any of this as gospel, please. It's logical based on the knowledge I have regarding lots of these things, but I'm not an audio engineer of any type. Just a guy making some informed guesses.
I’ve just come across this thread. I bought a new LG OLED 55” TV last week and noticed the delayed audio straight away.
Very disappointed. Looking forward to seeing a fix on this thread soon.
Another Sony user chiming in, it’s the same on mine with a PS4 Pro and a 65Xe9305
Another Sony user chiming in, it’s the same on mine with a PS4 Pro and a 65Xe9305
But ok with your TV?
I returned my Playbase yesterday.

Hi: As far as I know I have updated the most recent TV Firmware.  This is in Ontario, Canada.  I am just viewing cable TV channels with Rogers Cable.  I am not certain of other settings.  I am not too keen on adding other GIZMOS.  It was a simple setting to fix that would be great, but not that huge of an issue.  May just have to live with it.  It sadly seems that as technology gets more and more sophisticated (read complex) it becomes more and more problematic.  How did we get a man on the moon?  I tried my TV on just internal speakers and I believe there is still a lip sync issue.  Even have access to several LG TVs in this building and all seem similar.  I can’t even rule out that it is also not affecting an old Panasonic LCD.  Maybe it is an Internet Cable Provider.  I would like to see a digital meter that would align the audio and video?  Perhaps for Christmas? lol. 

The Sonos devices are just speakers and so they can only play the audio when it is actually delivered to them in the correct format they support (PCM or Dolby Digital upto and including DD5.1 surround sound), so the fact you are using a Cable TV box, then it makes sense to set the audio output on that device to Dolby Digital 5.1 and then set the TV HDMI-ARC (or the TV’s optical port depending on the connection being used) to pass-through that audio stream without processing/interrupting it. The C9 certainly allows that ...and it definitely works for me with my cable box and Apple TV etc. attached to its HDMI ports.

I’d never really noticed it before with the TV, but watching bbc 1 breakfast via the sat input (internal) it might be a tiny bit out, but hardly noticeable.

It’s defibately way out with the PS4 pro though
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I was looking at my current TV settings samsung ks8000 55 and noticed audio is already delayed 40 msec by default I guess, I don't remember I touched it.
Audio seems in sync with video (without Sonos).
So this could be helpful, is the TV video decoder already adding some delay?
Do you have the same settings?
Camillo
Thanks Camillo. Sony and (I think) LG televisions do not give users the option to turn off this audio delay, which seems to be the reason that this problem only affects people with TVs from those manufacturers. The HDMI switch solution seems to work well for some but I can’t find an HDMI switch with an optical cable output that supports HDCP2.2, so I can’t watch anything in UHD if using the switch I bought (which I’ve also now sent back).
Badge
Hey I submitted my diagnostic data and my number is: 807739505
I was testing it with other stuff like with my roku, ps4 and chrome cast and they all get the same static/distorted sound randomly when using it, wondering if there are possible solutions?
Badge
Thanks Camillo. Sony and (I think) LG televisions do not give users the option to turn off this audio delay, which seems to be the reason that this problem only affects people with TVs from those manufacturers. The HDMI switch solution seems to work well for some but I can’t find an HDMI switch with an optical cable output that supports HDCP2.2, so I can’t watch anything in UHD if using the switch I bought (which I’ve also now sent back).
you can try this one, that should work …
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B071WVXZKY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_pZLqBbD44CV46
it's from the german store, but maybe you can get it at your place as well.
here is a video of the problem with sync settings -5,-4,-3,-2, and -1. Not only does this range not totally fix the audio delay, but -5 is just as bad as zero! the strangest thing was that -4 was the closest to being in sync, but it still 1/30s delayed.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/j9ynjxUPc6beVSCBA

My setup is LG B7A with Optical Out (Auto format and On link settings)

I bought an ARC HDMI audio extractor from Amazon and it actually did not perform any better:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ORQIT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not sure what to try next, besides contacting LG support!

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

I have identical issues with my arc/Sony Bravia. Does anyone out there have a solution 

Any update on this? Is this something likely to be fixed or would I have to use one of the workarounds detailed above?

I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing an LG OLED but seeing these issues makes me question if that's the right decision...

Thanks - tried turning everything off at the plug, then turned on TV first, then turned on the Sonos - in an attempt to reset the handshake - but alas, no impact on the sound being out of sync :-(

Any update on this? Is this something likely to be fixed or would I have to use one of the workarounds detailed above?

I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing an LG OLED but seeing these issues makes me question if that's the right decision...

I'm in the same boat. I'm about to purchase an LG OLED B7 + Sonos Beam, Plays: 1s and Sub. Any LG owners received their Beam yet?

I've seen a few Beam reviews using an LG OLED (e.g. https://www.androidcentral.com/sonos-beam-review) and no one has mentioned sync issues so am hopeful (although none mention whether they tested external hdmi sources e.g. sky q, apple tv as part of the review).

Thanks - tried turning everything off at the plug, then turned on TV first, then turned on the Sonos - in an attempt to reset the handshake - but alas, no impact on the sound being out of sync :-(

I would perhaps speak to the LG support desk and if need be, to the Sonos Support desk too and see what they each suggest.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
All.

I solved the delay issue by running optical cables from my LG tv, x box and sky q to an optical switcher and then optical from there to the play bar. The only issue was remembering to select the right channel on the optical switcher.

Tonight I set up my new beat through hdmi arc and the issue still exists if you try and use DD. If you set the sky q output to normal. No issue but that obviously does not give me the sound I am looking for. My TV is the LG C7 65.

This is a bit rubbish to say the least!

Adding my name to the list - received an Arc SL for Christmas and have it connected to my LG C8 77 OLED via ARC and am seeing fairly significant audio delays with both external HDMI inputs (ie: cable box) and internal apps (Netflix, Disney +). I’ve tried all the suggested settings, especially the AV Audio Delay with Bypass which helped but unfortunately didn’t solve all the issues. I’ve tried contacting LG who were less than helpful given my TV is out of warranty (purchased in 2018) and Sonos said they could only recommend using the audio delay function in the app, trying a factory reset and contacting the TV manufacturer.

I’d really like to avoid having to purchase additional hardware (ie: HD Fury Arcana) to solve this - any other ideas or anything I can do to escalate?

Thanks!