If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Hi all,
As predicted by some on here, the main board replacement had no tangible effect on the lip sync issue. The engineer has escalated this with his base, who will advise LG of the outcome. Hopefully another voice to a growing chorus of discontent at the contempt LG are displaying towards their customers.

LG just take the p**s they really do. I work as frontline IT Support for a major tech company and I wouldn't have a job if I behaved the way the clowns at LG do.

They really just have no care about wasting people's time with things they must know wont fix anything, just to wear them down. I really think for the amount of money we pay, someone high up at Sonos should be our advocate with this. It will mean more to LG coming from Sonos.

Was a solution to the lip sync issue ever found? (that doesn’t involve using optical- which is hardly a solution in 2021).

I have a LG CX48, a Sonos Beam, two One SLs set up as surrounds, with Beam connected to TV via hdmi going into the TV arc port.

Waa a combination of the Sonos app settings / LG tv settings that fixes the issue ever found? (I feel like I’ve already tried every permutation there is...)

Think I’ll have to pack all the Sonos gear up and return it if not…. :-(

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
So is it safe to say if you have an OLED television stay away from Sonos for now for home theater? I guess we don't know on the beam yet but that seems more like a bedroom speaker then main room..

Hi everybody!
My setup is a Sonos amp with two One’s as surrounds. The amp is connected to the ARC port on my Phillips 43PUS6804. And from there I have a PS5 and Apple TV connected.
The Apple TV works perfectly with no audio delay set to Dolby Digital 5.1 (huge upgrade from when I used it with just the 2 One’s over airplay 2). But I experience a pronounced audio delay with the PS5 set to Dolby bitstream. The TV is set to multichannel pass through.

Is there any way around the delay on the PS5? Can’t quite figure out what box to buy or if I’m just SOOL?

Nick and others — This reminds me of the similar issues with my Samsung and AppleTV playing various formats.  The issue (for me) was that the TV was introducing a delay for the audio.  The picture was ahead of the audio.  The ONLY fix I found was HDFury, in my case Arcana.   Not sure if that specific product is the solution here.  However, if your picture is ahead of the sound you should be looking to the TV mfg to resolve or check out HDFury products.  Not every expensive (compared to a new TV)  and great support. 

Was a solution to the lip sync issue ever found? (that doesn’t involve using optical- which is hardly a solution in 2021).

I have a LG CX48, a Sonos Beam, two One SLs set up as surrounds, with Beam connected to TV via hdmi going into the TV arc port.

Waa a combination of the Sonos app settings / LG tv settings that fixes the issue ever found? (I feel like I’ve already tried every permutation there is...)

Think I’ll have to pack all the Sonos gear up and return it if not…. :-(

I have the LG C9 with the audio set to ‘pass through’ and not had a lip-sync issue. If you’re continuing to have issues try renegotiating the HDMI handshake by powering off all devices for a minute or so. If that fails then I’d speak to LG because the Sonos Beam can only play the audio when the TV sends it in a timely manner - so the issue will be with the sending of the audio, rather than the Receiver itself. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7
So is it safe to say if you have an OLED television stay away from Sonos for now for home theater? I guess we don't know on the beam yet but that seems more like a bedroom speaker then main room.. I think the beam looks great (Aside from lack of HDMI Passthrough). It's probably worth seeing how the reviews stack up against the Playbar when it is actually released.

Sonos could make the Beam far more attractive to home theatre users if they allowed us to use it as a centre channel with 2 other Sonos units as front left and right speakers. Now that would be amazing!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
So is it safe to say if you have an OLED television stay away from Sonos for now for home theater? I guess we don't know on the beam yet but that seems more like a bedroom speaker then main room.. I think the beam looks great (Aside from lack of HDMI Passthrough). It's probably worth seeing how the reviews stack up against the Playbar when it is actually released.

Sonos could make the Beam far more attractive to home theatre users if they allowed us to use it as a centre channel with 2 other Sonos units as front left and right speakers. Now that would be amazing!

I just hope the beam doesn't suffer from audio delay, it's a deal breaker if so.. as far as the beam as a center channel I agree that would be amazing but they didn't release it that way and seems unlikely that things will change.
Hello, I have a Sony 65xf9005 with a Beam and two Play 1s connected using the HDMI-arc input. Delay is terrible when using the inbuilt Prime app but noticeable with everything else. Just wondering if anyone else has the same setup and has managed to find a settings combination which works? Thanks in advance.
As has been stated before, the delay is within the TV, and not the BEAM. And it's not a center channel only, it's the center, left and right in a single enclosure.

You need an optical/toslink switch.  There are many on amazon to choose from with varying numbers of inputs. They all do the same job.

You can also use a hdmi switch that has an optical extractor on it so that all your hdmi inputs go to it but the hdmi output of the switch only sends video, the audio being extracted/converted to an optical output on the switch that goes to your beam. 

Thanks Andy. So would something like this do the job? And if so, would it still allow me to control everything from a single remote? The only connected hdmi device I use is the ps4, but I run Netflix directly via the TV (for the best quality). 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YD2CLMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mbBlEb7N4CG0N

Badge
anyone using an Amazon Fire TV HD box..not the stick, but the 4k box? Reason for asking is that on my never ending testing that I'm doing with this beam and audio sync etc...I am NOT experiencing any delays whatsoever.

It's set for Dolby 5.1 output, the Sammy tv which i have is set to Bitstream and when 5.1 is coming out, I can see the tv is recognising it as well...

This is connected from FireTV to HDMI in (Sammy), and SAmmy ARC to Beam...no exstractors, optical or anything.

Really strange...as when I connect my Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield in...I'm getting the delays.

Any ideas, or people experiencing the same?

thnx
I can't seem to get the native apps sound working with my playbar using the HDMI Arc output on my switch connected to the HDMI Arc input on my LG oled C8 TV. I am using the below linked product. Using a Roku stick I am able to get the sound to work just fine.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

4K HDMI Switch 3x2, ZAMO 4K 60Hz... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYQC4MZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Sorry, I was responding to the statement "I just hope the beam doesn't suffer from audio delay,", but you do have a point, assuming that you're connecting with the HDMI cable rather than the optical cable. I would expect that if it was connected with the optical cable, it would have the same delay.

I'd be fascinated to hear from someone who can test this.
Hmm, I seemed to have figured it out, has the optical cable still in the switch rather than in the TV.

So just to clarify:
The optical cable should be connected from the TV to the playbar, and the hdmi out arc on the switch connected to the HDMI arc in on the TV, then any additional inputs connected to the switch input. Does that sound about right?

Aso, what should I set the oled C8 AV sync setting to? AV sync = on and Bypass = enabled? Or AV sync just set to off?
Hello

I am a french user with a TV LG 55C7V and I have the same delay issue with my Playbar. I wish I rode this issue before.

I sent both an e-mail to Sonos and LG support last week mentionning this forum link. LG has not even responded.

After a lot of e-mails for one week, Sonos support said they are working on it.

How is it possible that such a problem which last for almost one year is not solved?
Not offhand. Have you tried a power cycle of the TV, and that switch? I'd be contacting the maker of the switch, you may have gotten on that's broken?

I'd also double check, just for fun, the audio settings on the TV, to make sure that they're set to Dolby Digital, especially for those native apps. There's no guaranty that the switch is sending a signal to suggest that the maximum viable signal is Dolby Digital, which is what typically happens as part of HDMI-ARC. But since the switch isn't a real sound device, but just a repeater, it may not be sending a signal.
Same problem here. Sonos Beam connected to a HiSense tv via the HDMI (ARC) port. I'm watching now and have the video is about a half second faster than the audio. I thought maybe it was due to not having it hooked up to a higher-end television, but after seeing all of the different brands listed here I'm assuming that's not the case.

I love the features of the Sonos, but when the sync gets this bad I find myself wishing I'd chosen another product.

Hi: As far as I know I have updated the most recent TV Firmware.  This is in Ontario, Canada.  I am just viewing cable TV channels with Rogers Cable.  I am not certain of other settings.  I am not too keen on adding other GIZMOS.  It was a simple setting to fix that would be great, but not that huge of an issue.  May just have to live with it.  It sadly seems that as technology gets more and more sophisticated (read complex) it becomes more and more problematic.  How did we get a man on the moon?  I tried my TV on just internal speakers and I believe there is still a lip sync issue.  Even have access to several LG TVs in this building and all seem similar.  I can’t even rule out that it is also not affecting an old Panasonic LCD.  Maybe it is an Internet Cable Provider.  I would like to see a digital meter that would align the audio and video?  Perhaps for Christmas? lol. 

Ah, you've posted while I was typing.

The optical should be connected to the switch, not the TV, and goes to the PLAYBAR.

I don't know which setting to use for A/V sync, try both settings for 10 minutes, and see if it makes a difference. I'd definitely have bypass on.
Sonos can only play the audio as quickly as it is given the data. If your TV is delaying the audio for some reason, there isn’t much Sonos can do to control that.
Which unfortunately confirms my guess that it's something in the LG that is delaying the optical signal...but good news for some. Now, if we can get Sonos to come out with a PLAYBAR that has HDMI to complement the BEAM... 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Which unfortunately confirms my guess that it's something in the LG that is delaying the optical signal...but good news for some. Now, if we can get Sonos to come out with a PLAYBAR that has HDMI to complement the BEAM... :)

Interestingly he actually doesn't mention if he tests the optical connection with his OLED here's part of what he said " In testing with my ancient-but-beloved Pioneer Kuro, the optical connection worked fine, but I couldn’t dial in the audio sync — the Beam was always a hair delayed. But honestly, if your TV is a decade old, it’s probably worth upgrading the picture before you work on the sound.

Moving back to the present, the Beam worked seamlessly over ARC with my 2016 LG B6 OLED TV " my guess is it would still suffer delay over optical, I also 2nd your hopes for a playbar with HDMI! That would be a day 1 purchase for me.
« In my opinion, it is most likely because it is an issue with the LG doing something that is causing the optical signal to be delayed out of the TV, and Sonos has not been able to create a time machine to receive the optical signal before it has been sent »

Could not have been a problem of process on Sonos to »translate » the LG signal and to diffuse it on the different speakers?

My complaint was for LG too. They are supposed to fix any bug on their firmware and like I said they are not responding.
Moreover, it semed that such delay problem often occurs (I have seen post about some Tv models from Philips, Sony or some Times on Samsung?
So it suggests that exhange between TV industry and Sonos are necessary.

At least, I found on this forum that the delay on LG TV concerns other soundbar and it is not exclusive to Sonos
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-c7-lg-sh7b-sync-issues.2111274/page-4

Problem confirmed to be on LG
Badge +1

Hi there,

Same problem for me with a OLED 55GX from LG and Sonos Beam+Sub+2play:3. All outputs set up in HDMI Dolby Digital 5.1. With gaming it becomes a bit difficult to play when you have half a sec delay on door opening sounds and etc…

Problem does not happen on streaming services, I did not notice a major issue with lip synch. The Air play works well via the TV or directly to the Sonos environment. (then I loose the 5.1). 

Solution for me was to put a headset on the PS4 controller.

All set up is up to date.

Any news from LG?

Regards,

Eric

I have the same issue with a Philips OLED TV. I complained to Sonos & Philips. Sonos said it was the TV. Philips sent me an upgraded TV but the issue remains. Sonos say it is the TV that is the causing the issue when trying to process the 5.1 signal. My workaround is an optical splitter which isn’t ideal. They say TV’s with eARC are preferable but I don’t know if that’s true.

Is a HDMI splitter a better option?

I am contemplating asking Philips to take the TV back and I will get another TV (with eARC). But reading the forums I may get another make TV with the same issue. So frustrating.

I picked up a cheap HDMI splitter/audio extractor and it fixes the audio delay issues I had, unfortunately, there are issues with the transfer rate of 4K video using the splitter that cause a flickering screen, which is to be expected from a £16.99 splitter!

There are many splitters out there, and some (like mine) advertise as working with 4K@60fps, but they are hit and miss I feel and mostly seem to be cheap and nasty solutions.

If you only have one external device to hook up you could try the HDFury Arcana, but it’s expensive.

My ultimate solution is a new TV, but I am due an upgrade anyway.