If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Badge
I had the same severe sound delay/ lip sync issues. No firmware and no settings fixed it. Just had an LG engineer out who replaced the whole motherboard. All my picture settings were gone but also no more sound delays issues when passing through DD 5.1! Not with my Sonos Beam via arc or other devices via optical and PS4 pro!!

Appears LG has an up to date motherboard and I suggest to contact customer services who were quite good in arranging a swift replacement.

Please don’t bother with firmware etc if you have issues as it will most likely be the motherboard. I purchased my C7 55 in October 2017 if someone needs it.

Azurik777 when you contacted LG Support did you tell them the audio delay issues were present when external devices like Sonos Beam were connected? When I contacted LG Support they told me to take up the issue w, Sonos. Thanks.
Userlevel 1
I had the same severe sound delay/ lip sync issues. No firmware and no settings fixed it. Just had an LG engineer out who replaced the whole motherboard. All my picture settings were gone but also no more sound delays issues when passing through DD 5.1! Not with my Sonos Beam via arc or other devices via optical and PS4 pro!!

Appears LG has an up to date motherboard and I suggest to contact customer services who were quite good in arranging a swift replacement.

Please don’t bother with firmware etc if you have issues as it will most likely be the motherboard. I purchased my C7 55 in October 2017 if someone needs it.
Userlevel 1
Another frustrated Beam + LG C7 here. Luckily my main streaming device is an Apple TV 4K which is not affected by this for some reason. My main problematic device is the PS4 Pro and I was able to bypass the TV using the optical to hdmi dongle but it’s not ideal as you always have to switch cables when you want to use the PS4 and you have to rely on the Sonos App to control volume as HDMI CEC is lost.
Anyone with a Beam using a better workaround? Not familiar with HDMI switches and optical splitters, how would that setup work with the Beam?
In response to SONOS work order 171023-002526, I have an LG TV, SONOS surround system, soundbar, sub-woofer. I also have the exact experience as described above. SONOS should get this figured out. Neither BOSE or ORB have this problem. This is really unsatisfactory.
That should work, I believe the adaptor to HDMI is a female receptor....but I don't own a beam, so I could be wrong. I've never seen a Toslink cable that wasn't male to male.
Dumb question I know, but if I want to try connecting my PS4 Pro directly to the Beam, what kind of cable do I need? Normal Toslink optical cables are male/male, and I suspect won’t work.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just bought a LG65C8PLA and have joined the lip-sync club - highly frustrating.
I have just spent some time with LG "Helpdesk" on this as I am seeing the same issue on a BT UHD box as well as SkyQ. Strangely my Apple TV 4 (non 4k version) works absolutely fine??? Weird. LG are very unhelpful to say the least.

My setup is using HDMI direct to the LG and then optical out into a Sonos Playbar. SkyQ & BT UHD work 100% fine if using optical out from the PVR's direct to the Playbar, so I assume it must be something to do with the HDMI signal in from those PVRs and how the LG processes those signals to outputs. It all works fine if using the LG on board speakers as well (not that you would want to use them!) The issue is only present when the SkyQ and BT UHD PVRs are set to Dolby or Dolby + and using HDMI for audio. No delays with stereo settings.
I’m having the same lip synch problems with the Beam and LG OLED.
My setup is pretty straightforward:

PS4 Pro to LG OLED E7 to Sonos Beam.

Built in apps on the LG TV are fine (Netflix etc), freeview is fine, playing Dolby content from USB connected to the TV is fine.
PS4, when set to PCM output is fine (games, and apps like Sky go)
However, when the PS4 is set the PS4 to Bitstream Dolby, ithe audio is a good second behind the video.
PCM sounds far inferior to Dolby when I switch the PS4 back to it, and the Sonos app reports the Beam is receiving stereo when PCM is selected, as opposed to 5.1 when switched to Dolby.

I’ve tried changing every setting possible, both on the PS4, the TV and the app. All to no avail.

I’m concerned that other external sources (I’m getting Virgin Media in Nov) are also going to be problematic with the Beam, so I’m thinking of just returning the thing while I can.

Can anyone confirm that PCM is inferior to Dolby when it comes to the Beam? Or is it just me imagining it?!
So I am experiencing the same lip sync symptoms as described here and have been playing around with both Sonos and LG settings to try to resolve this to no avail. Minor improvements but still not perfect

I have an LG OLED55B7T and Playbase connected via Optical Audio directly from the TV as well as following devices connected:
- ATV (3rd gen) via HDMI
- Laptop via HDMI

I have no problems with lip sync from LG inbuilt TV tuner and inbuilt apps (YouTube, Netflix, various Catch Up TV apps here in Aus). However there is typically lip sync issues from ATV content and the extent of that depends on the type of audio and which app, with Dolby 5.1 audio source typically having the worst lip sync and PCM generally being fine. Again this is consistent with what is outlined in this thread.
When I tried a friend's Chromecast HD, same lip sync issues occurred as as with ATV.

(As a note I had no lip sync issues using a previous 10 yr old Sony LCD TV with Optical audio out connected to the Playbase with the same setup)

So if the problem is the Optical Audio Out from the LG TV, rather than going the full HDMI 4-1 Switcher Option outlined above would it be simpler to connect the Playbase to the LG TV via an HDMI Audio Extractor as such:

LG OLED --> via HDMI ARC --> HDMI Audio Extractor --> via Optical Audio Cable --> Playbase

Eg. HDMI Audio Extractor
https://www.lindy.com.au/4k-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-hdmi-pass-through?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2P3Qj_zZ3AIVyqmWCh1EBwObEAQYASABEgLMLvD_BwE

Would this setup essentially solve the lip sync problem, while maintaining the LG TV to carry out as being the HDMI source switch since the Audio coming out of LG TV would be coming out through HDMI ARC not Optical Audio Out?

Or is the issue to completely bypass Audio Processing by the LG TV for any external HDMI sources?

This sounds like a great solution if it works. I ended up going for an optical switch which works flawlessly and switches remotely from my Harmony remote but something like this would be even better

If you do happen to try this, please let us know how you get on!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I recently bought an LG 65 B7D TV and can confirm the audio delay issue with a Playbar based 5.1 setup. All devices are directly connected to the LG TV and the optical output is connected to the Playbar.

I can confirm the Apple TV 4K situation. The audio is perfectly in sync here when the Audio output is set fixed to 5.1 (and HDMI is set to Dolby Vision). It even converts DTS Audio (e.g. from the Infuse App) to 5.1 AC3.

However there is a huge delay with my cable set top box (VU+ Uno 4K SE). I have to adjust the Dolby Digital delay in the set top box to -425ms(!!) in order to get the audio in sync. I haven't tried the PS4 and Nintendo Switch yet.

I didn't check the current firmware version of my TV yet, the online update says I'm already on the latest version but maybe I have to update manually. I'll double check tonight.

Hi Marco,

is your problem fixed with an LG firmware update yet?

My setup includes a LG OLED W7V (same panel and probably same firmware like your B7), a Playbase with Sub and two 1s for 5.1 and an external "VU+ Solo2" satellite receiver.
With any VU+ content (satellite or media player) the lip sync problem seems to pop up. Haven't played with any settings yet (in Sonos app or VU lip sync delay).

Thanks,

Timo

It hasn't been for me. I have to manually play with the audio sync options to get it close enough.
I recently bought an LG 65 B7D TV and can confirm the audio delay issue with a Playbar based 5.1 setup. All devices are directly connected to the LG TV and the optical output is connected to the Playbar.

I can confirm the Apple TV 4K situation. The audio is perfectly in sync here when the Audio output is set fixed to 5.1 (and HDMI is set to Dolby Vision). It even converts DTS Audio (e.g. from the Infuse App) to 5.1 AC3.

However there is a huge delay with my cable set top box (VU+ Uno 4K SE). I have to adjust the Dolby Digital delay in the set top box to -425ms(!!) in order to get the audio in sync. I haven't tried the PS4 and Nintendo Switch yet.

I didn't check the current firmware version of my TV yet, the online update says I'm already on the latest version but maybe I have to update manually. I'll double check tonight.

Hi Marco,

is your problem fixed with an LG firmware update yet?

My setup includes a LG OLED W7V (same panel and probably same firmware like your B7), a Playbase with Sub and two 1s for 5.1 and an external "VU+ Solo2" satellite receiver.
With any VU+ content (satellite or media player) the lip sync problem seems to pop up. Haven't played with any settings yet (in Sonos app or VU lip sync delay).

Thanks,

Timo
I solved all lip-sync problems on my 65B7D with the use of a HDMI switch:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071WVXZKY

For me it's the perfect device for a Playbar surround setup in combination with a LG OLED TV and it gets even better by using also an AppleTV (4K) and a Logitech Harmony. The switch has four HDMI inputs, one HDMI output as well as an optical SPDIF output.

As a result:
- 100% lip-sync out of the box on all devices (set top box, PS4, etc.)
- HDMI ARC is working for the LG TV connected on the output of the switch
- supports 4K @60Hz, HDR, CEC, Dolby Vision
- remote control included, works also with Logitech Harmony (Hub)
- with an Apple TV (4/4K) it adds AirPlay2 without the need to turn on the TV
- with an Apple TV (4/4K) it's possible to convert every audio signal to AC3 5.1 on the fly to get multichannel on the playbar

I'm really surprised that it works so smooth with the help of an affordable device. Most of the HDMI switches don't support HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2), 4K at 60Hz etc. but this one does. It solves all my lip-sync issues which by the way is a prove that this is nothing more but a silly bug on the LG TV, it's not because of some picture optimization thing. It's possible to connect up to four devices plus the TV thanks to HDMI ARC. The sound of apps from the TV are also 100% in sync by using ARC. Make sure to connect it to the HDMI-2 port and activate ARC in the sound settings of the LG TV. For me it's the perfect device for the LG TV. So now I'm using my LG OLED TV basically only as a HDMI display (not Smart but Dumb-TV so to say). :D

By the way, since there are no lip sync issues when using the HDMI-2 ARC output on the LG, I would also expect that there is no lip-sync issue when using a Sonos Beam. The audio delay is only there when using the optical output on the LG TV.

So I am experiencing the same lip sync symptoms as described here and have been playing around with both Sonos and LG settings to try to resolve this to no avail. Minor improvements but still not perfect

I have an LG OLED55B7T and Playbase connected via Optical Audio directly from the TV as well as following devices connected:
- ATV (3rd gen) via HDMI
- Laptop via HDMI

I have no problems with lip sync from LG inbuilt TV tuner and inbuilt apps (YouTube, Netflix, various Catch Up TV apps here in Aus). However there is typically lip sync issues from ATV content and the extent of that depends on the type of audio and which app, with Dolby 5.1 audio source typically having the worst lip sync and PCM generally being fine. Again this is consistent with what is outlined in this thread.
When I tried a friend's Chromecast HD, same lip sync issues occurred as as with ATV.

(As a note I had no lip sync issues using a previous 10 yr old Sony LCD TV with Optical audio out connected to the Playbase with the same setup)

So if the problem is the Optical Audio Out from the LG TV, rather than going the full HDMI 4-1 Switcher Option outlined above would it be simpler to connect the Playbase to the LG TV via an HDMI Audio Extractor as such:

LG OLED --> via HDMI ARC --> HDMI Audio Extractor --> via Optical Audio Cable --> Playbase

Eg. HDMI Audio Extractor
https://www.lindy.com.au/4k-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-hdmi-pass-through?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2P3Qj_zZ3AIVyqmWCh1EBwObEAQYASABEgLMLvD_BwE

Would this setup essentially solve the lip sync problem, while maintaining the LG TV to carry out as being the HDMI source switch since the Audio coming out of LG TV would be coming out through HDMI ARC not Optical Audio Out?

Or is the issue to completely bypass Audio Processing by the LG TV for any external HDMI sources?
Thought I'd jump in here and share my two cents.

I do not own any Sonos products, but rather have a TCL Roku TV and a Vizio 5.1 Sound Bar and have experienced the same issue of audio delay/lag. From the reading I've done on the internet, it is clear to me that this is a universal problem. For whatever reason, TVs (and I'd say primarily this seems to be a problem with streaming services) are unable to process 5.1 surround sound properly, and we end up with a lag. This is not a problem isolated to LG or Sony or TCL, but a problem across the board.

My own suspicion is that TV shows and movies are still building an audio delay into the signal because the video should theoretically come after the audio, since there is so much more information. However, when surround sound is thrown into the mix, that all changes. I think the only true solution to this would be to put pressure on the TV manufacturers or streaming device manufacturers to include a setting that allows for adjusting av lag in both directions. It is clear that this audio lag is a widespread problem, and yet it is still only possible to compensate for video lag. So infuriating!!

My uncle has a traditional AV receiver and surround sound set up connected to his TCL Roku TV, and still has the same audio lag problems.

Let's put pressure on all the TV manufacturers to find a solution! Or perhaps it's time to get Dolby and DTS involved, since it's their product(s) that suffer.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It would be cheaper to go down the optical splitter route in my opinion. Also the Vorke box doesn’t fully support all display modes provided by the Nvidia Shield.
Maybe cheaper but since the Apple TV (4/4K) doesn't have an optical-out it wouldn't work. I'd also lose the ability to use AirPlay(2) when the TV is off. Plus if you're using smart apps from the TV itself, you need the HDMI-ARC possibility in order to avoid using the optical-out of the LG TV (which causes lip-sync issues).

People above said the Apple TV doesn’t suffer the delay. But for other HDMI only devices it may work. However for the Nvidia Shield it won’t.

The in built apps do not suffer the delay, only HDMI sources.
Badge +1
It would be cheaper to go down the optical splitter route in my opinion. Also the Vorke box doesn’t fully support all display modes provided by the Nvidia Shield.
Maybe cheaper but since the Apple TV (4/4K) doesn't have an optical-out it wouldn't work. I'd also lose the ability to use AirPlay(2) when the TV is off. Plus if you're using smart apps from the TV itself, you need the HDMI-ARC possibility in order to avoid using the optical-out of the LG TV (which causes the lip-sync issues in the first place).
Which display options are not supported? Concerning the AppleTV, it supports everything up to Dolby Vision 4K. You just have to make sure to use the best/fastest possible HDMI cables because there are now always two cables involved with the HDMI switch (from the device to the switch to the TV). I had two cables which didn't work without distortions even though there was "highspeed" written on them.
Userlevel 1
Badge

For me it's the perfect device for a Playbar surround setup in combination with a LG OLED TV and it gets even better by using also an AppleTV (4K) and a Logitech Harmony. The switch has four HDMI inputs, one HDMI output as well as an optical SPDIF output.

As a result:
- with an Apple TV (4/4K) it's possible to convert every audio signal to AC3 5.1 on the fly to get multichannel on the playbar

I'm really surprised that it works so smooth with the help of an affordable device. Most of the HDMI switches don't support HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2), 4K at 60Hz etc. but this one does. It solves all my lip-sync issues which by the way is a prove that this is nothing more but a silly bug on the LG TV, it's not because of some picture optimization thing. It's possible to connect up to four devices plus the TV thanks to HDMI ARC. The sound of apps from the TV are also 100% in sync by using ARC. Make sure to connect it to the HDMI-2 port and activate ARC in the sound settings of the LG TV. For me it's the perfect device for the LG TV. So now I'm using my LG OLED TV basically only as a HDMI display (not Smart but Dumb-TV so to say). :D

By the way, since there are no lip sync issues when using the HDMI-2 ARC output on the LG, I would also expect that there is no lip-sync issue when using a Sonos Beam. The audio delay is only there when using the optical output on the LG TV.

Otherwise a good solution.
Badge +1

As a result:

Userlevel 4
Badge +7
I recently bought a Playbase. Experienced lip-sync problems with dolby digital material from my ATV 4K to my LG C7 connected to the Playbase via optical. After trying almost every possible option on my ATV 4K and the LG C7, I finally managed to solve the problem by disabling the LG SIMPLINK feature (HDMI CEC) feature on the LG C7. HDMI CEC is still enabled on the ATV 4K and i'm still able to turn on/off the tv via the ATV remote. This is WIN-WIN situation. So, in my opinion this is some kind of software bug on the LG C7. The Apple TV 4K does not have the lip sync issue that most people talk about on here. You will see a lot of comments stating it works well. The biggest problem devices are cable boxes, Xbox One and PS4.
I recently bought a Playbase. Experienced lip-sync problems with dolby digital material from my ATV 4K to my LG C7 connected to the Playbase via optical. After trying almost every possible option on my ATV 4K and the LG C7, I finally managed to solve the problem by disabling the LG SIMPLINK feature (HDMI CEC) feature on the LG C7. HDMI CEC is still enabled on the ATV 4K and i'm still able to turn on/off the tv via the ATV remote. This is WIN-WIN situation. So, in my opinion this is some kind of software bug on the LG C7.
Right. I have an LGB7 and had my beam yesterday. Over hdmi arc and Dolby digital the audio sync problems are there. Nothing can fix it as it’s an issue with lg and processing DD. I turned both the tv and my sky q to output pcm, and the issue completely disappears. I have had dialogue with Sonos and they have told me PCM is no different from DD for the beam, and there is no noticable difference. Can anyone confirm if this is true. If it is I am keeping my beam. If it isn’t, it’s going back!!

With PCM you won’t be able to get 5.1 sound if you decide to purchase orhers speakers to extend your system.
Badge
Just got a message from my client that had purchased the $9000, 77 inch oled. Has the sonos playbar, and a directv hd box. They are getting lip sync issues while watching DTV. I am not there with the client, but Ill double check the dolby digital and PCM settings. If I turn off dolby digital on the directv box, will this eliminate the lip sync issue. Any settings in the OLED I need to change as well?
Right. I have an LGB7 and had my beam yesterday. Over hdmi arc and Dolby digital the audio sync problems are there. Nothing can fix it as it’s an issue with lg and processing DD. I turned both the tv and my sky q to output pcm, and the issue completely disappears. I have had dialogue with Sonos and they have told me PCM is no different from DD for the beam, and there is no noticable difference. Can anyone confirm if this is true. If it is I am keeping my beam. If it isn’t, it’s going back!!
I got my Beam today and I am not seeing any lip sync issues.

Devices:
1. OLED65E6P (2016 model) firmware version = 5.30.30 Audio is set to LG Sound Sync (Optical); AV Sync Adjustment is Off
2. Tivo Bolt. Set to output Dolby Digital.
3. Apple TV 4k. I could not modify the audio output setting. It was greyed out.
4. Xbox One X. Set to bitstream and dolby digital
5. Nintendo Switch
6. Super Nintendo Retro Console

The connection between the TV and the Beam is as follows:
OLED65E6P --> 6' Amazon optical cable --> optical coupler --> Sonos HDMI to Optical adapter --> 3' Amazon HDMI cable --> Sonos Beam

The Tivo, AppleTV, Xbox, Nintendos are all are connected to HDMI ports on the OLED65E6P. Just to be clear, I am not using the optical output on any of those devices.

*You may be wondering why I needed the optical cable and coupler. It's because I couldn't run another HDMI cable through the existing holes in my wall. The optical cable was a lot easier to fish through the existing holes. The coupler is a $4 one I got off Amazon. ;)

I did need to manually press the volume up button on the Beam to get it at a level that I liked. It was set very low out of the box. Beam seems to remember the level even after I power off devices, so that's good.

Overall, I am really pleased with the improvement in sound quality. Much better than the built in sound bar that is on the E6P.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Hello to all

I have an Apple TV 4 (but not 4K), a LG C7 and a playbar. I have the delay when audio is set on Dolby 5.1 on the Apple TV. I did not catch if there is another setting to apply.

There is no other setting you need to apply, other than in my case I have Frame Rate Matching and Dynamic Range Matching turned on. It seems to be only the Apple TV 4K that does not have this issue.
Hello to all

I have an Apple TV 4 (but not 4K), a LG C7 and a playbar. I have the delay when audio is set on Dolby 5.1 on the Apple TV. I did not catch if there is another setting to apply.