Answered

If I connect two Play:5 to a Playbase, do I get the option to have them as front or rear speakers?

• 12 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 13 replies
Hi all happy people!

I am thinking of getting two Play:5 and connect them to a Playbase.

But before I do that, how does the setup work?

When I connect them all together, do I get an option if they should be front or rear speakers?

Or maybe it doesn't matter? Since its only Left and Right channels?

Thanks for any answers!

Edit: Or maybe this is a totally stupid question. I am not that knowledgeable with home theater systems.
icon

Best answer by vazandrew 12 July 2018, 15:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
They would be the rears in a surround setup when used in that configuration. The Playbase would act as the front 3 channels
Badge +3
They would be the rears in a surround setup when used in that configuration. The Playbase would act as the front 3 channels

Does that mean I shouldn't / can't have them in front?

And what exactly the impact of them being considered rear speakers? Lower volume?

I basically would like them to be 2 front speakers, but maybe you can't with Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You could have the stereo pair of play5's as a music zone completely separate from the visual side, with the playbase and 2 x play1s as rears for tv sound.............if you have the budget.
Or just get a proper AV set-up and use the sonos connect.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I wouldn't recommend having them in front. They will be setup as rear speakers so it would sound weird if you placed them in front. The rear speakers give you the surround effect so you can have sound coming from behind you to give more immersion when watching TV or movies that support 5.0 (if you had the sub it would be 5.1). When listening to music, make sure to have the play 5's set to full instead of ambient (this is done in the sonos app) so you would get immersion on music as well.