I want a "SONOS Surround AMP"

• 2 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello everybody, I just wanted to start a thread here to see if I am the only one thinking that SONOS has to come up with an AMP/Base station/Receiver that would allow to receive DTS/DD+/AC3/ Dolby Atmos… And split the signal in the diffrent channels to be sent to whatever SONOS speaker pair you want.

Is there a reason why SONOS has not released anything like that yet?

I previously had an harman/Kardon AVR with wired speaker and I now switched to a Beam with surround a pair of One SL as surrounds, But I found this setup very limiting in terms of audio compatibility, and not future proof at all.

Am I the only one frustrated that the Sonos AMP does not have an Coax or HDMI input?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Am I the only one frustrated that the Sonos AMP does not have an Coax or HDMI input?

Uhh, the Amp does have an HDMI input, and the availability of using the optical adapter accessory.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

People have frequently wished for a Super-Connect, that would act as you desire.  So far, Sonos hasn’t delivered, presumably due to the lack of perceived market.

Uhh, the Amp does have an HDMI input, and the availability of using the optical adapter accessory.

:) I knew when writing it that I should double-check.

The AMP still does not allow you to connect to a full surround system. It is very close to achieving that but not there yet. You have the subwoofer, and a pair of speakers but no central speaker.

It would be nice to be able to connect 2 wired speakers and a subwoofer to the AMP and have the option to add 3 wireless Sonos speakers to the system. They already have to split the signal that comes with the HDMI anyway.

:) I knew when writing it that I should double-check.

The AMP still does not allow you to connect to a full surround system. It is very close to achieving that but not there yet. You have the subwoofer, and a pair of speakers but no central speaker.

It would be nice to be able to connect 2 wired speakers and a subwoofer to the AMP and have the option to add 3 wireless Sonos speakers to the system. They already have to split the signal that comes with the HDMI anyway.

The Amp has a phantom center channel speaker, designed to give you the impression of a center channel without there actually being a speaker there.  As far as adding 3 wireless speakers, having 2 wired and one wireless speaker in the front (assuming that’s what you’re going for) would be a little odd.  I also think Sonos was trying to keep things relatively simple by having all Sonos HT products handle the front 3 channels.

And to be technical, the Amp does not actually have an HDMI input.  It’s actually HDMI-ARC (audio return channel)  and it’s an output.