Answered

how well would Beam work with TV that doesn't have ARC?

• 7 January 2019
  • 7 replies

I have an older Samsung TV (LN40C630) that doesn't have HDMI-ARC. Am considering Beam - but curious how well I should expect it to work given that I'd be coming out of the Digital Audio Out jack from the TV, instead of HDMI ARC. Would one expect this to still work, just not have some features? Thank you...
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 7 January 2019, 14:10

Hi davidvan

There shouldn't be a difference in speaker audio as it relates to the Beam itself. I didn't research your Samsung but you'll have to concern yourself with whether or not it will pass DD5.1 over optical or force the audio to PCM. The differences in PCM vs DD5.1 would become more apparent in a full-on HT setup (i.e. sub and surrounds). Using optical will negate other assisted features. All said the Beam should serve you well but in the end you'll have to judge the Beam on what you hear vs. my speculation.

Cheers!

Edit:
According to your Samsung manual it will pass DD5.1 over optical 😉
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi davidvan

There shouldn't be a difference in speaker audio as it relates to the Beam itself. I didn't research your Samsung but you'll have to concern yourself with whether or not it will pass DD5.1 over optical or force the audio to PCM. The differences in PCM vs DD5.1 would become more apparent in a full-on HT setup (i.e. sub and surrounds). Using optical will negate other assisted features. All said the Beam should serve you well but in the end you'll have to judge the Beam on what you hear vs. my speculation.

Cheers!

Edit:
According to your Samsung manual it will pass DD5.1 over optical 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Actually the next paragraph after the highlight says that only 2 channel audio will be emitted from an external input (5.1 is only for DTV playback). You will need an EDID faker to force it to emit DD 5.1 over optical, as I used to on my older Samsung.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi davidvan

Be sure to read and understand my post and the follow-up by controlav.

To your question...you don't need to purchase anything. The Beam comes with an optical adapter that you attach to one end of the HDMI cable (that also comes with the Beam) and plugs into the optical port of your TV. The other end of the HDMI cable attaches to the HDMI port of the Beam. The Sonos App will walk you through the entire process. No worries:)

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
AjTrek's answer above will get you DD 2.0 ie Stereo. If you want DD 5.1 from a source other than the built-in DTV tuner, you will need a device such as this connected between the HDMI source device and the TV: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually the next paragraph after the highlight says that only 2 channel audio will be emitted from an external input (5.1 is only for DTV playback). You will need an EDID faker to force it to emit DD 5.1 over optical, as I used to on my older Samsung.

Thanks for catching that;)
thank you! so if I give the Beam a shot, I'd need to get an optical cable (are they all about the same?) and something like this as well?

https://www.amazon.com/Lychee-Virtual-Display-Fashion-Accessories/dp/B0761N99V1

thanks a million...
thanks again to both of you...