Question

how to get quality surround sound

• 10 December 2019
  • 3 replies

How do I achieve a high quality surround sound system?   I am currently using a Bose soundbar connected to my television.   I listen to music on two Sonos 1s and a a Sonos 3.   What should I purchase to unify my Sonos speakers with the television?   Sub? Play bar? Soundbar? Other?   What is the degree of difficulty in setting it up?   Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

While the tech is a little older, I’m still fond of the wider soundstage of the PLAYBAR, assuming your TV can send out a Dolby Digital signal on an optical connection.I would use the two PLAY:1s as surround speakers (and I do, with both of my PLAYBARs) and if you still need extra music locations, pick up Sonos Ones.

Setting up isn’t much more difficult then adding a speaker to your system, just the optical cable connection, and pretty much everything else is under “Add a speaker” in the controller. You’ll probably want to think about a SUB, too, although I admit it took me 6 or 8 months to add one to my system. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I like our Playbar, unfortunately it can be a task if not impossible to pass a Dolby 5.1 signal to it from some TV's via optical out.

Blue Ray players have DTS, I bought a specific Samsung player because it can convert DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’d look at the Sonos One SLs as surrounds.

If your space isn’t too big the Beam sounds pretty good with a Sub to carry the low end. For music you can go with the default ambient mode or go to full mode to get the full potential from the surrounds.