Question

how to get quality surround sound

• 10 December 2019
  • 3 replies

How do I achieve a high quality surround sound system?   I am currently using a Bose soundbar connected to my television.   I listen to music on two Sonos 1s and a a Sonos 3.   What should I purchase to unify my Sonos speakers with the television?   Sub? Play bar? Soundbar? Other?   What is the degree of difficulty in setting it up?   Thanks

3 replies

While the tech is a little older, I’m still fond of the wider soundstage of the PLAYBAR, assuming your TV can send out a Dolby Digital signal on an optical connection.I would use the two PLAY:1s as surround speakers (and I do, with both of my PLAYBARs) and if you still need extra music locations, pick up Sonos Ones.

Setting up isn’t much more difficult then adding a speaker to your system, just the optical cable connection, and pretty much everything else is under “Add a speaker” in the controller. You’ll probably want to think about a SUB, too, although I admit it took me 6 or 8 months to add one to my system. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I like our Playbar, unfortunately it can be a task if not impossible to pass a Dolby 5.1 signal to it from some TV's via optical out.

Blue Ray players have DTS, I bought a specific Samsung player because it can convert DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’d look at the Sonos One SLs as surrounds.

If your space isn’t too big the Beam sounds pretty good with a Sub to carry the low end. For music you can go with the default ambient mode or go to full mode to get the full potential from the surrounds.