How to get DD 5.1 to Beam from UHD discs with no English DD 5.1 soundtrack ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 49 replies
I recently added two play ones to my beam for surround sound. It’s working really well when streaming from Netflix but I am running into a bit of a problem when watching from disc. I currently use my Xbox One X to watch movies. Obviously it will output bitstream but it can’t transcode the DTS HD soundtracks into DD 5.1 so all I get is PCM Stereo. It’s very frustrating to miss out on the surround sound as almost no UK Blurays or UHDs carry a DD 5.1 soundtrack anymore. It’s all Atmos or DTS HD. Is anyone using a UHD player that can transcode the sound into DD 5.1 on the fly ? Any help would be appreciated.

5 replies

Perhaps see if this previous community thread is of any help to you...

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/how-to-get-5-1-sound-from-xbox-one-s-6789168/index1.html#post16134616
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Thanks. I have already read this one. The Xbox optical out is already set to DD bitstream and is connected to the beam via optical switch. However, when I play a disc with only DTS HD soundtrack the beam indicates it only receives Stereo. Games output DD 5.1 fine but not the movies.
I’m just wondering if your TV may have the capability to process the DTS audio soundtrack and decode it to a DD 5.1 Output through its Optical... have you tried running the XBox connection through your TV ?
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Turns out that the Xbox decodes other surround formats to 5.1 DD :D . Rebooted the Beam and it is now receiving 5.1 DD from the Xbox One X even if the the disc is masterd in DTS or Atmos.
Marc_51 wrote:

Turns out that the Xbox decodes other surround formats to 5.1 DD :D . Rebooted the Beam and it is now receiving 5.1 DD from the Xbox One X even if the the disc is masterd in DTS or Atmos.

Ah it’s all sorted then. Thanks for the reply and feedback. Glad to hear you have it working.👍

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings