Question

How to ensure Sonos 5.1 Home Theater system's surround sound is working?

• 21 November 2016
  • 2 replies

Hey all,

I recently set-up the Sonos 5.1 Home Theater system (Playbar + Sub + 2 Play:3s). I've plugged the Playbar directly into the wifi router, and the TV I'm using is a Samsung PN64D8000FF. When watching NBC Sunday Night Football last night, it didn't sound like the rear Play:3s were actually kicking in any sound. It sounded like only the Playbar was pushing sound, and the Sub was very weak. So, I have a couple questions:

1.) If I go to "About Sonos" in the app while the tv is playing, will it show me whether there is 5.1 Surround Sound being played?
2.) Can anyone confirm that the Samsung PN64D8000FF is capable of pushing out 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound in the first place?
3.) Any other recommendations/tips on how to ensure that the home theater system is actually pushing out surround sound, and that the speakers are working properly?

Thanks as always everyone!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

1) yes
2) Sorry, don't know. Should be in the manual. But you could also look in the Audio setup screen on the TV itself, and see if there's an option there to specify what is sent out of the optical port.
3) What Chris says is absolutely correct. Or, you could do what I do, and go into the advanced settings and turn them up, which is what I did. While an excellent game last night (yea, I grew up in Northern VA), football doesn't exercise the sub all that much....although some of the commercials can. They do have a pretty good surround track, though. Sometimes I've found that I've turned it up so much that I can't hear the announcers over the crowd surround.

But most standard TV shows don't do much in terms of 5.1 sound. If you can, use a movie channel that's showing something like Star Wars.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If it says receiving in about section should be good. Many stations barely send much for surrounds on tv.