Answered

how to connect my Yamaha tts303B turntable to my ARC

Badge

Purchased a Yamaha turntable and silly me thought it would be just plug and play. It’s a tts303b and I need it to connect to my Sonia Arc which is connected to my LG Tv. Any help please?

icon

Best answer by John B 16 June 2022, 19:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Hi. The Arc isn’t really designed for this, but...

First thing to check is whether the TV has any form of audio input that would allow you to connect your turntable to the TV.

Otherwise the only workable options are a Roam if the turntable has Bluetooth, or a Sonos speaker or player with a line in.  he best choice there is often to buy a Sonos Five, but that only makes sense if you could use a speaker elsewhere in your home.  The turntable would have to be located with the Five, but could play to the Arc when required,  The cheapest route to a line in would be a used gen 2 Connect.

Badge

Thanks for replying. I’m thinking of getting a set of 5s, I was going to anyway. In the meantime, can I connect turntable to tv & still play through arc?

Thanks for replying. I’m thinking of getting a set of 5s, I was going to anyway. In the meantime, can I connect turntable to tv & still play through arc?

Anything you can get into the TV you can get out of the Arc, so you’ll need to see if there is a TV input to which your turntable can connect.

A pair of Fives sound great so you will be sorted once you have those.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m thinking of getting a set of 5s, I was going to anyway.

Are you planning to use the Fives as surround speakers with your Arc? If so, note that the line-in is disabled on the Five when in surround configuration, so you wouldn’t be able to connect your turntable to them in that scenario. If you’re just planning to use them as a stereo pair, not surrounds, you’re all set.

Good point @early rejecter .  It should have occurred to me that that might well be the intended purpose for the Fives.  I’m glad someone was awake.

Badge

Oh I was hoping to connect all together. It’s so overwhelming to me lol. I’m ready to take the turntable back. Should I just buy a port?

That would be an option but it seems to me a lot of money just to connect a turntable. A used gen2 Connect would do just as good a job for much less, if you could find one. 

Another possibility would be to use One SLs for your surround speakers and keep the Fives purely for music, including the turntable. 

Badge

Thanks and yes seems a lot, but as I bought for my husbands birthday, I was hoping to get going today, so I went out and bought a port & it’s still not working. I spent an hour on the phone with Sonos and was told I’d need to buy a Behringer Microphono pre amp. Feel like taking it all back to be honest. I’ve spent over $1000 and still no music

Badge

I have the turntable going and can hear music faintly through turntable, but nothing through port/arc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The Sonos rep you spoke to is incorrect; that turntable has a built-in preamplifier. Make sure the switch on the back is set to Phono EQ “On.”

In your Sonos app, select the room that you want to hear the music in — do NOT select the room that you assigned to the Port. Now select the Browse menu (musical notes icon) and scroll down to the bottom and select Line-In as your music source. You should be able to hear the turntable on your Arc now.

If the volume seems too low, go into the settings for your Port and adjust the Line-In level as high as it will go without causing distortion from the turntable.

Badge

Badge

I tried all of those steps with the Sonos guy and still nothing. He said the amp needs a boost or to fire it up 

Badge

We can faintly hear the music through the turntable 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Yeah, all of those settings look correct. I don’t suppose you have a CD player or tuner or something that you could plug in to the Port to test? And/or an amplifier/receiver that you could test the turntable with?

And apologies if this seems obvious, but I’ve seen it happen before: you’ve ensured that the cables are attached to the INPUT on the Port, and not the output?

I really don’t think a phono pre-amp is going to help here; even if the one in the turntable is weak (which seems unlikely) it should be getting an audible signal into the Port.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We can faintly hear the music through the turntable 

The sound you’re hearing is just the sound waves created by the needle moving through the record grooves; it’s not an amplified signal.

Badge

Badge

Unfortunately we don’t have anything else to test it with

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Well, I’m stumped. Only other suggestion, and this is a long shot, is to try adjusting the compression and delay settings. That’s helped to solve issues I’ve had in the past when my turntable audio was dropping out:

In Settings, select System and scroll down to Audio Compression, and choose Compressed. Go back to the System settings and select the room with the Port. Scroll down to Audio Delay and set that to maximum delay.

Beyond that I’m out of ideas!

Badge

Thanks , I’ll try. 

Thanks for taking the time trying to help me also.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you can hear the sound only faintly maybe the internal preamp on the turntable is broken? Could you test that?

Badge

I ended up buying that Behringer Micro phono pre amp and it still doesn’t work. I think I actually hear the amp on though when that’s connected, but somehow no music comes through. I’ve tried every step suggested and still no luck. 

Can we just check your set up? In the Sonos app you should now have two 'rooms', one representing the Port and the other representing the Arc.

In the settings for the Port you should have the Autoplay room set to your Arc room.

Is that what you have?