Answered

How to combine my current setup, using a receiver, with Sonos?

• 17 July 2018
  • 1 reply

I have 6 devices that I have currently connected (using HDMI) to an Yamaha receiver with 5.1 wired speakers, and sending the video to my TV. How can I get rid of the Yamaha receiver and connect the 6 devices to Sonos, still being able to select wich device I want to hear end see?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 17 July 2018, 20:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

There are a couple things to point out here. First, Sonos soundbars (playbar/playbase/beam) are design to take output from your tv. The don't operate like your receiver, which get input from your devices and pass it on to your tv. Therefore, for the soundbars to work in that scenario, your tv would need to take all 6 devices as hdmi inputs. Assuming you can't do that, you'd need an hdmi switch that will take 6 inputs to 1, then into your tv. Not really an ideal situation.

Second, Sonos really can't utilize your existing speaker setup. Don't know if you plan on getting rid of those as well.

Third, if you're willing to keep your receiver, you can bring that entire setup into a Sonos system using the Sonos Connect, it can pass input to your receiver and, depending on your receiver, take output and pass it on to other Sonos speakers in your speakers.

I'd recommend the 3rd, but not really sure what your ultimate goal is.