Answered

how to balance surround sound?

• 23 April 2020
  • 8 replies

I have a beam and 2 Sonos play ones. When watching movies the 2 play ones are very loud I can not hear the dialogue coming from the Center speaker on the one. Can I turn down the volume on the ones only?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 23 April 2020, 22:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3335

On iOS or Android

1. From the Settings tab, tap System.
  2. Select the room the Sonos home theater speaker and surround speakers are located in. It appears with "(+LS+RS)" on the System menu.
  3. Tap Surround Audio.
  4. Drag your finger across the slider to increase the volume of the surround speakers for TV or Music playback.

Moderator Note: FAQ link updated

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap System.
  3. Under Products, tap your Sonos home theater room.
  4. Under Sound, tap Surround Audio.

You can adjust the following settings:

Surrounds Tap the switch to toggle surround sound on or off.
TV Level Use the slider to increase or decrease the volume of the surround speakers when watching TV.
Music Level Use the slider to increase or decrease the volume of the surround speakers when listening to music.
Music Playback Select the type of audio you want to hear from the surround speakers when listening to music. This setting does not apply to TV audio.

• Ambient: Subtle, low volume audio with a limited frequency range. This is the default setting for surround speakers during music playback.
  • Full: Full range audio at the same volume as the home theater speaker.
Balance Surround Speakers Use this to tell Sonos how far away your surround speakers are from your main listening position. Balancing your surround speakers will adjust the overall volume of TV and Music playback on the surround speakers.
Reset Tap this to reset all surround audio settings to their default values.

It’s a beam and it doesn’t say anything after the “Audio in”. 

It is playing the ambient sounds but just not loud enough for where I’m sitting. None of the options increase the volume of the rear speakers. 

@jgatie that was it. Thank you!

Thank you :)

I have a similar setup 2 ones and a beam but the rear speakers aren’t loud enough. Tried 2 true play twice but I wasn’t happy with that so I did the balance surround sound. No matters what distance I choose I don’t notice and difference!  I have to move back until I’m just 3 feet from the rear speakers to get a great sound     But then I’m too far from the TV. 

why is there no way to manually set the rear speaker volume?  I’m putting off sending any money for the sub until or unless I can make the surround sound better. 

You can go in to Settings>System>(Room name of PLAYBAR)>Surround Audio and adjust the volume of the surrounds in comparison to the PLAYBAR there. 

But if your PLAYBAR isn’t receiving a Dolby Digital signal, it won’t make a difference. While watching something you think should have more surround information, go to Settings>System>About My System, and see what the line starting with Audio in says under the PLABAR. If it isn’t Dolby Digital 5.1, then you won’t get anything out of the surrounds. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@rskruise Maybe you are expecting too much volume from the surround speakers? They should only play ambient sounds (audience applauding, cars driving away, helicopters flying by). You shouldn’t really be noticing them.