Question

How many of the 32 Sonos zones can be a play bar with a sub and surrounds?

With Play 3 and Play 5, a sub counts as a zone within the 32 zone limit. I've heard a rumor that with Playbar, this is not the case. Is it true that you can have 32 home theaters with sub, surrounds and playbar in each room?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

The limit is not actually 32 zones (that was the term before you could pair and/or bond devices), it is 32 total Sonos components. A component includes players and Bridges. So a Playbar, SUB and 2 P:3's would be 4 components.
Yes, however, I've heard through the custom installer grapevine that the Playbar circumvents or at least bends this rule...
Then I misunderstood the question. I've not heard that rumor.
Any official response?
Badge +18
Hi Eric, The PLAYBAR still counts as a component towards the 32 component limit on a household. It is not true that you can have 32 home theater setups with PLAYBARs, PLAY:3s, and SUBs.
There was a retail project I did that wired up 40 plus Play:3s, all wired up. It works, but as long I don't group more than 32 speakers at one time. (App will crash)
Today, I have a project that once again has more than 32 components. All went well until I added a 5.1 with wireless sub and play3. The sub and play3 refused to give me sound though paired w playbar already. After I turned off several connect:amps, and power toggled the 5.1, then finally it worked.

Anyone knows how I can work around this?
There is no work around. The system is limited to 32 speakers/players/Boosts/Bridges, and 32 controllers. The fact that you can squeeze in over the limit by turning some off just means the limit is strictly enforced. Your only option is to operate two or more subnets, effectively running two separate Sonos systems. Or inform the client of the limitations and rework the design to conform to the limitations.
Split the system into two independent households. They can co-exist on the same IP subnet.

BTW in case there's any doubt about the limit, point a browser to http://player_IP:1400/status/upnp and click on 'Incoming Subscriptions'. The words "max: 32" appear throughout.
@ratty this is an interesting one. If the whole house is covered by APs on same subnet, likewise all Lan ports, how do I even create 2 households then
Reset one or more controllers. Set up some of the units as a 'new system'. If they're already associated with the first household (system) then factory reset them first.

Note that controllers will have to be associated with one household or the other, not both.
Roger that. Well it's gonna b hard for the user then. All family members needs to be able to control all zones in the house.

I may need to reduce number of connect amps. Replace them w power amps and 1 connect. For areas that are permanently grouped.
All family members needs to be able to control all zones in the house. .
Sounds like a recipe for controller wars.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Split the system into two independent households. They can co-exist on the same IP subnet.

BTW in case there's any doubt about the limit, point a browser to http://player_IP:1400/status/upnp and click on 'Incoming Subscriptions'. The words "max: 32" appear throughout.

The reason for the max is that UPnP breaks down and generally becomes far less reliable once you get over that many devices in the same configuration. Though technically you may be able to get more in a household, we definitely don't recommend it, and it's not going to have the quality of experience we strive for. As you mentioned above, you can't group more than 32 together.

The multiple households is the best way to go. You'd have dedicated controllers for each set-up and they wouldn't be able to group, but it'll make things more reliable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
or like Skylai says - don't have 32 completely independent zones.

Use a connect with a distribution amp or a connect:Amp power 4 speaker to build larger zones.