how do i get rid of not available message that pops up on my samsung when pressing the volume button

• 24 April 2013
  • 16 replies

how do i get rid of not available message that pops up on my samsung when pressing the volume button

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Darin, Certain remotes will show a nag screen on the TV when adjusting the volume. Click here for more information on how to program your remote. Using a third-party remote such as Logitech Harmony will also remove the notification.
Setup: Sonos TV surround sound system (incl. playbar, sub + 2 Play: 3s). For context, they are paired with a Samsung 60" LED TV. The remote to control the system (including volume) is the AT&T U-verse cable remote.

Now the question: When I go to adjust the volume, the volume DOES go up and down as per the remote, however, the TV puts up an error message that says the volume is controlled by external speakers. Its just darn annoying to have to exit out of the message every time I move the volume. Suggestions? This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Surround sound volume control with TV error message.
Hi. I may be missing something, but I can't see where this explains how to fix the problem on a Samsung TV and Samsung remote (I&E no AV receiver and not a multiple control). Thanks
This is how I have overcome the annoying message displayed on the Samsung TV when using a Sky remote with the Sonos Playbar.  Set the Sky remote to something other than a Samsung TV (I think I set mine to Sony).  Now set the playbar from the app to use the sky remote (it asks you to press volume up and down) the Sky remote will now operate the Sonos volume up and down but as it is set to a Sony TV the Samsung does not display the annoying message.
I'm going to try and open up the TV and disconnect the internal speaker wires, then switch the sound source back to "internal".  This will keep the "not available" message from popping up when I use the remote to control the sound bar

I'm going to try and open up the TV and disconnect the internal speaker wires, then switch the sound source back to "internal".  This will keep the "not available" message from popping up when I use the remote to control the sound bar

Perfect!   Took about 15min to remove the back of the TV and disconnect the internal speaker wires.  With the sound source at "internal", the "not available" message does not pop up when i use the volume controls for the sound bar.
Dear all I have goooood news for you After month of fight with Samsung development engineers they will finaly correct this insupportable message. Here is what's comming : - for the new H séries coming on 2014 the message will come only once and there will be an option ''never show again'' - for the 2013 F série there will be an update made in the next months to do as H séries I hope that H séries in USA will be as ours in France. Best regards to all
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Panasonic Viera TX-55AS650B speakers off message. Hi any ideas how i turn off the "speakers off message" on this model tv
Hello.  It seems that the latest replies and submitted questions to this topic are 5 months old, so I'm posting to let Sonos (and perhaps indirectly Samsung) know that this issue is still prevalent.  My Playbar is hooked up to my Samsung F5300 60" Plasma TV and works great; however the annoying "Your TV is set to use external speakers.  Adjust the volume on the connected speakers directly" message keeps popping up each time I use the Time Warner DVR remote OR the Samsung remote.  Some posted solutions have been to connect the IR extender (my TV model doesn't have that option) or physically disconnect the internal speakers (too extreme for me).  Sonos: Is there a work around for this yet?  Or is this a Samsung issue and should be posted directly to them?  Thanks!
I figured it out!!!! Ok Go to your tv I have direct Go to setting-remote control - then set you tv to a random brand not sonos Once you have followed that step then click on volume lock and lock the tv volume Now go back to the sonos app and go to your tv room setting and click the remote control set up And follow the steps it should tell you to hit multiple buttons not just the + volume button I also created a volume ock on av1 with a random brand as well so if the above doesn't work maybe do both
To get the message off of my Samsung I had to reset my Directv RC71 remote to forget my Samsung. Then I did the auto reprogram on my Directv remote to setup my Samsung TV. Then I setup my Sonos for audio on the remote and it gave me an option to use the soundbar for audio only, which I hadn't seen before. Now "not available" message is gone
Badge +1
Dear all I have goooood news for you After month of fight with Samsung development engineers they will finaly correct this insupportable message. Here is what's comming : - for the new H séries coming on 2014 the message will come only once and there will be an option ''never show again'' - for the 2013 F série there will be an update made in the next months to do as H séries I hope that H séries in USA will be as ours in France. Best regards to all

Can someone pleas confirm above mentioned update for the 2013 F serie? Or is there already an other way to fix the issue with the message?
Badge +1
I just followed the instructions on the Sonos website to program my Tivo remote for Dennon, and then my Samsung TV doesn't give the message:

Just be sure to select the right remote and go from there!
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2083/kw/annoying%20messages
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
A solution I posted on another thread has worked for me...

I found that with the Harmony Universal remote I could choose the Sonos Playbar as a device to add (in the MyHarmony desktop app). I configured the remote's up, down, and mute button to same commands as the Sonos device.

Had the Sonos device not been available as a choice, I was going to add any receiver and then map the remote's volume buttons to that non-existent device.

The key is to get the buttons on the remote to NOT be mapped to the TV's volume commands.
This worked for me. I went through the entire set up and everything was working great except for the "not available" message every time I used the volume. I used my original Samsung remote and went back into the Menu > Sound > TV Speakers and turned them back to "On" from off (Sonos has you turn them off during the setup). I then lowered the volume on the TV itself to 0 and put it on mute. The Direct TV remote I had set up during installation still controls the Sonos. The onscreen "Not Available" message is now gone when controlling the volume. I hope that helps someone else.
This worked for me. I went through the entire set up and everything was working great except for the "not available" message every time I used the volume. I used my original Samsung remote and went back into the Menu > Sound > TV Speakers and turned them back to "On" from off (Sonos has you turn them off during the setup). I then lowered the volume on the TV itself to 0 and put it on mute. The Direct TV remote I had set up during installation still controls the Sonos. The onscreen "Not Available" message is now gone when controlling the volume. I hope that helps someone else.

Thanks so much! This worked for me.