Answered

How can I configure LG Magic remote with Sonos playbar. TV Model: 55LM7600

• 28 December 2014
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 2
Tried all options but it doesn't work. Suggestions given on this thread are not applicable as those options don't show up on my TV: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=37555.. Very frustrating 😞
icon

Best answer by TBonePickenz 17 June 2016, 22:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 2
This is for the EF9500 series but is the first thing that comes up on Google. I'm posting here to save others the frustration and tech support calls I suffered.

I finally got it to work using a collection of Internet tips and customer support clues on my EF9500 hooked up to a Sonos playbar/ 5.1 system.

Part 1:
1) click the home button on your magic remote and scroll along the bottom (where Netflix, etc is) until you get to a purple icon "device connector"
2) select soundbar and pick the Phillips brand and select remote type 4
3) Select done

Part 2:
1) Open the Sonos app on your iPad or phone
2) select the gear icon "settings"
3) select the room your system is in
4) select TV setup and control
5) select remote control set up and follow the prompts using your "Phillips" magic remote

You are done!
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is for the EF9500 series but is the first thing that comes up on Google. I'm posting here to save others the frustration and tech support calls I suffered.

I finally got it to work using a collection of Internet tips and customer support clues on my EF9500 hooked up to a Sonos playbar/ 5.1 system.

Part 1:
1) click the home button on your magic remote and scroll along the bottom (where Netflix, etc is) until you get to a purple icon "device connector"
3) Select done

Part 2:
5) select remote control set up and follow the prompts using your "Phillips" magic remote

You are done!

Thank alot mate, this made my day! 😃
Just purchased an LG OLED 65B6P and using the Philips + Type 4 remote instructions finally got the volume control working on the LG Magic Remote. So much more convenient being able to use the single remote.

OLED55B6V – SONOS Playbar

I had issue to follow the instructions when configuring the OLED55B6V, but then I discovered that you need to have the SONOS app on your Ipdad active to detect the remote AT THE SAME TIME you are setting it up on your TV

This worked (with my swedish setup TV even though I copied and pasted in english below).

1. Add Philips soundbar and remote #4 in the the device connector screen.
2. The TV will then load the remote settings and show three "virtual remote buttons" on the screen (Power, Volume + and Mute). Don’t close his screen.
3. => OPEN THE SONOS APP (e.g. on your Ipad), at the same time as you have virtual remote buttons screen open on your TV
4. SONOS App: Select settings / room / TV setup & control
5. SONOS App: Select remote control setup / replace current remote
6. You will be asked to click the "Volume +" button on your remote. USING YOUR LG MAGIC REMOTE click the "Volume +" icon on the TV screen (do not click the actual "Volume +" button on the remote). If you're successful, the Sonos app will say that it recognized the remote.

I guess the reason SONOS, LG and the people in the shop is saying that it will not work is that they don’t want to take responsibility to support all related questions to get it working as the procedure is quite difficult.
Badge
Thanks, Kevin.

Worked for my Playbar with LG 65UF850T with WebOS 2.0 and AN-MR600 magic remote.

Smart Home button > Device Connector > Sound Bar > Optical > Next > Next > manufacturer = Pioneer > Remote Control Type 2 > Next > Done
In certain countries you cant select the manufacturer, e.g. In Switzerland. Chose Germany and it works. You though have to sort then the TV stations manually... I dont get it why this is disabled in CH. lG can do better...
Hi again, to everyone who didn't have the possibility to choose the manufacturer, here is how I finally managed to enable it on my LG 49UF772V:
Settings -> General -> Location -> Broadcast country. I had no country selected, so I selected Denmark (where I live). I am not sure why, but this somehow changes the TV settings and suddenly I was able to access the "universal control" menu. From there I could set up a sound bar and choose the manufacturer. I followed these instructions https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/playbar-with-lg-magic-remote-37555/index1.html#post234277 and it worked! Vol+ Vol- and mute!
And I would add something for the sound quality: go the settings -> sound and make sure that the selected sound output is "Auto" and not "PCM", if you want the soundbar to receive a Dolby Digital 5.1 input (when the content offers it of course). Mine was set to PCM by default, which means that the only sound i got on the soundbar was stereo, no matter the content.
Thank you so much everyone for helping out on this. Thanks to you and a bit of persistence, I finally managed!
One thing I find strange though: on one side LG customer support claims they don't support SONOS soundbars and there is no solution, and on the other side SONOS claims that the only way to change the volume on an LG TV with magic remote is from the phone app. How come they don't tell us there is a workaround? Is there a catch? 🙂
Just purchased an LG OLED 65B6P and using the Philips + Type 4 remote instructions finally got the volume control working on the LG Magic Remote. So much more convenient being able to use the single remote.

OLED55B6V – SONOS Playbar

I had issue to follow the instructions when configuring the OLED55B6V, but then I discovered that you need to have the SONOS app on your Ipdad active to detect the remote AT THE SAME TIME you are setting it up on your TV

This worked (with my swedish setup TV even though I copied and pasted in english below).

1. Add Philips soundbar and remote #4 in the the device connector screen.
2. The TV will then load the remote settings and show three "virtual remote buttons" on the screen (Power, Volume + and Mute). Don’t close his screen.
3. => OPEN THE SONOS APP (e.g. on your Ipad), at the same time as you have virtual remote buttons screen open on your TV
4. SONOS App: Select settings / room / TV setup & control
5. SONOS App: Select remote control setup / replace current remote
6. You will be asked to click the "Volume +" button on your remote. USING YOUR LG MAGIC REMOTE click the "Volume +" icon on the TV screen (do not click the actual "Volume +" button on the remote). If you're successful, the Sonos app will say that it recognized the remote.

I guess the reason SONOS, LG and the people in the shop is saying that it will not work is that they don’t want to take responsibility to support all related questions to get it working as the procedure is quite difficult.

Thank you!
This helped a lot, and my dad is now finally happy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe the steps you go through are you have to go in and set the Tv up as in the instructions on the thread you mentioned where you setup the TV to operate a soundbar.  Pick any soundbar it doesn't matter.   Then you must have the IR blaster cable hooked to the TV.  Then put the blaster cable output in front of the Sonos Playbar.  Then run the setup for remote on the Sonos application.

The remote itself doesn't output IR but the TV will send the IR signal via the Blaster cable.
I believe the steps you go through are you have to go in and set the Tv up as in the instructions on the thread you mentioned where you setup the TV to operate a soundbar. 
We just set our system up.  Very frustrating because despite all info available for both the LG TV and Sonos app, the magic remote would not control the volume on the Sonos playbar.   ... until we realized that our LG Magic remote can send signals as either IR or RF.   The Sonos playbar needs to see IR signals from the LG Magic remote.  Once we rationalized our set up, we used the LG settings utility (on our LG TV) to configure the LG magic remote to send RF signals.  On our LG TV, a Pioneer playbar setting for the remote ended up sending the wrong signal (RF) and the Sonos playbar did not recognize volume commands from the magic remote.  Since we have a samsung system elsewhere and happened to know that that system uses IR, we picked a samsung playbar  in the LG settings utility for the magic remote.  IT WORKS!   Now our LG magic remote is sending IR volume signals to the Sonos playbar and there is much happiness in the world again.
Hey Leo,

I was wondering, where are you from?, because i am not able to do what you pointed out.

I am from Belgium and i have a Playbar with an LG 55UF860 with WebOS2.0 and AN-MR600 magic remote.

I can do Smart Home Button > Device Connector > Sound Bar > Optical > Next > Done (I don't have choosing the manufacturer...)

Anyone else have this issue?

Greetings
Florian
Thanks, Kevin.

Worked for my Playbar with LG 65UF850T with WebOS 2.0 and AN-MR600 magic remote.

Smart Home button > Device Connector > Sound Bar > Optical > Next > Next > manufacturer = Pioneer > Remote Control Type 2 > Next > Done

I have the LG 50LB6300 and I tried the above method but had no luck. I even tried the Phillips settings as mentioned in another forum But it just isn't my day!!
https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/playbar-with-lg-magic-remote-37555

What's even more frustrating is when I call LG, they tell me magic remote will not work for Optical input - no not specific to a model. They say it will work only for devices connected with HDMI. How are so many users able to connect then. SONOS customer care wasn't a big help either.

I was pretty excited to get this playbar and now I only have my SONOS app to control the volume.

I have given up but I will watch out for this thread in case someone has better luck.
Hi Florian, I have the exact same issue. I don't have the step where I can choose the manufacturer of the playbar. I also have the AN-MR600. My tv is the LG 49UF772. I live in Denmark. However I have seen this menu on another LG tv in the shop. but there were using another type of magic remote. I don't know if this has anything to do with it ?

Part 1:
3) Select done

Part 2:

You are done!

This worked for us - thanks for posting. Was gutted to learn Sonos doesn't play nicely with LG but managed to get the LC magic remote controlling the soundbar with the tips above. Cheers.
For me it does still not work. When I go to the Device Connector and select the "Soundbar", I can just click next and then it's done. I cannot select a manufacturer or anything else.
Does the remote even has IR by default? Or are there different models?

Any help is appreciated :-)

LG 55EG910V, AN-MR600, webOS 2.0, Switzerland
Badge +1
Thanks, Kevin.

Mate you are an absolute legend thank you so much!
Exact Same as above with oled65B6T and AN-MR700
I installed sonos app worked through to failed volume set-up. Did as above Pioneer type 2. Back to sonos app on phone go to settings/select room / tv setup and control - works perfectly.
Genius so happy

Part 1:
3) Select done

Part 2:

You are done!

Thank alot mate, this made my day! :D

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was this '____' close to sending the whole SONOS system back! You're amazing!

Thank you Joe! I never thought to try this. Wish I could buy you a beer, this was driving me nuts.
Got the volume and mute working but now the magic remote does not control the power on the tv!
I had received a Sonos playbar for Christmas, and then purchased a new LG tv in the sales. Upon setup, I was gutted to not being able to link the two together. A big thank you to everyone's posts on this forum, as using the "Phillips, type 4 remote" has certainly saved my frustration.
thank you worked a treat
I can confirm this is a good setup for an lg oled 65e6p. I used the device connect
- chose optical out
-chose Phillips
- remote 4
- paired magic remote with sonos

My magic remote controls the sound. I also have an Apple TV connected and that remote also worked automatically

Part 1:
3) Select done

Part 2:

You are done!

Thankyou so much! Worked perfectly :D:D:D
Badge
worked using Phillips type 4 settings then setting the remote up again in the Sonos app. You must do both in that order