Question

Hook up my Soundbar to a Sharp LC-47SB57UT

• 26 July 2020
  • 9 replies

I am trying to hook up my Soundbar to a Sharp LC-47SB57UT and can't get the television to come through the Soundbar. An engineer friend suggested I enable the optical (TOS) output, but I cannot figure out how. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @dhodgeguitar, welcome to the community! First, were you able to set up the Playbar using the Sonos app? If yes, can you please submit a diagnostic and reply to us with the confirmation number to further check on our end. Also, you can check your TV settings if audio output is set properly like choosing optical/external speakers, in short, disable TV/internal speakers. Let us know if this helps. Thanks!

Hello Krishma M,

I just submitted a diagnostic. The number is 1294380394.

Hopefully this will lead to getting the television and the Soundbar to work together.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @dhodgeguitar, thanks for your reply and for submitting a diagnostic. I can see that you were able to set it up and should be able to play music using the Sonos app. Problem is, the Playbar isn’t detecting the optical connection. You may need to check other sources if possible, a different optical cable, or reach out to Sharp if you’d still need to enable it on your TV. But have you tried going in the Settings tab of your Sonos app, tap System? Select the Family Room - Playbar, scroll-down, and look for Home Theatre. Tap TV set up and follow the in-app instructions to complete the home theater configuration. Just let us know. Thanks! 

Hello again, Krishma M,

I’ve sent you a new diagnostic (number 1540204650) after I tried connecting the blu-ray player to the Soundbar in addition to the connection to the television. I’ve also sent some notes to Sharp and I’m hoping for a reply. 

If it’s the cable that came with the Soundbar that’s the issue, how would I go about finding that out?

Looking forward to hearing back from you .

Thank you again for your time.

Hello again, Krishma M,

I’ve been thinking - I live in a very rural area. We do have a good WiFi connection but no televsion signal to speak of. Because of that, we run the television through a Samsung Blu-ray Disc player (model BD-JM57). Maybe I should try connecting the blu-ray player to the Soundbar instead of to the Sharp?

Is that even feasible?

Looking forward to hearing back from you .

Thank you again for your time.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @dhodgeguitar, thanks again for your reply and details here. Yes, you can try connecting the soundbar to your player using the optical cable and connect it to the digital audio out port and let us know. Thanks! 

Hello again, Krishma M,

The blu-ray player doesn’t have a place that fits the optical cable. It does have an HDMI compatible connection (on that looks like the clip-on cable that came with the Playbar and I hooked that up but still no luck. Any other ideas?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi, @dhodgeguitar! If that player doesn’t have a port that fits the optical cable, and it seems like you don’t have any other source device available, I’d suggest reconnecting the optical cable, making sure that the soundbar and your TV are tightly connected. If it’s still not working, you’d need to check while the optical cable is connected to the TV and the other end prior to connecting to the soundbar if you can see a red light that would indicate if the optical cable/TV optical port is working. It would be best to try a different optical cable as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

See Page 20 of http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs/Manuals/tel_man_LC47SB57UT.pdf for enabling the digital audio output on your TV.