Answered

Home Theater Surround Sound with Play 1 and One

I’ve seemed to run into a pickle. I bought a Sonos Play 1 and a Sonos One with Alexa for my surround sound theater system with my Playbar. Yet, when I go to set up the surround sound, the two seem to be incomparable to create a system together in that way.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a work around? I’m unsure why Sonos would make it so this wasn’t possible with the unnecessary of having two Alexa speakers in one room.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 April 2018, 15:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Stuart, I have to admit I've not tried it myself, but I think I assumed that if they could be made a stereo pair, then they could be made as surrounds. Happily, Chris is on the spot to confirm. In the meantime, I prefer to stick to the whole "as designed" aspect, both for audio clarity and ease of use. With my luck, as soon as I start messing around with non-standard stuff, it'll all break, and I'll be up the creek, looking for help :)

Thanks Chris for confirming that Sonosequencr IOS app does allow the Sonos:1 and Play:1 to be set as surrounds. It's good to know for the future so I can advise correctly.

I'd still stand by my advise though! Buy more Sonos gear!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes you can pair any crazy combination. Of course Sonos would say play:1 and Sonos One is crazy combination.
Indeed, the speakers are dissimilar enough internally that Sonos did not choose to allow them to be paired, despite the physical size similarity. I’d recommend looking for an app called Sonosequencr, which apparently allows you to do so. There are many other threads on this concern.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Indeed, the speakers are dissimilar enough internally that Sonos did not choose to allow them to be paired, despite the physical size similarity. I’d recommend looking for an app called Sonosequencr, which apparently allows you to do so. There are many other threads on this concern.

I haven't seen it suggested this will allow the Play:1 and Sonos:1 be set up as surrounds.

If you have just bought the speakers then either return one and buy the other or use it as an excuse to get Sonos in another room - I'd buy another Play: 1 and use that with the other one for the surrounds and put the Sonos:1 somewhere else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can use Sonosequencr IOS app to make the mixed pairing in the surround situation (with one surround being Play:1 and the other Sonos One). Let me find you the instructions as they were different then doing a normal stereo pairing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Open Sonosequencer.... at the bottom of screen there is the word devices. Click on devices. List of your Sonos speakers will come up. click on the playbar/playbase speaker name. In the top section you see the word Config. Click on config. This will bring you to the configuration screen to setup your surround speakers in any combination you want.
Stuart, I have to admit I've not tried it myself, but I think I assumed that if they could be made a stereo pair, then they could be made as surrounds. Happily, Chris is on the spot to confirm. In the meantime, I prefer to stick to the whole "as designed" aspect, both for audio clarity and ease of use. With my luck, as soon as I start messing around with non-standard stuff, it'll all break, and I'll be up the creek, looking for help 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I'd image that internally the play 1 and sonos one are probably very similiar if not exactly the same
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has stated they are not the same internally or in their sounds stage. Many may find that they are close enough but Sonos says no and therefore shouldn't be paired. Sonosequencr allows people to do it anyway.
Didn't someone say you could pair a PLAY:5 and a PLAY:1 as stereo speakers using that app? Seems like a major fail to me, but I guess if it works for some people, who am I to complain 🙂
just got sequencer, cannot pair 5 and One, just for future fyi
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
To the OP, just buy another Play 1 for a matching surround, pair them accordingly. Next put the play one in the kitchen where its more useful. Life is too short to worry about this "work around"