Home theater setup with UST projector

• 21 May 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone,

I’m planning on setting up a home theater using an UST projector (LG HU85LS).

The projector does have HDMI-ARC, so I was thinking on getting the Arc for LCR and bonding a couple of Ones for the rear sorround.

I have a couple of questions though:

1 - An ultra short-throw projector looks great and nite in a cedenza, so I struggle to undetstand where I’d place a soundbar. In front of it? I sure didn’t want to mount it on the wall. Anybody with sound system connected to a UST projector? Where do you place your soundbar? Is there an alternative to it?

2 - I’d place the One’s on the back of the couch, which is in front of the dining table. Will I listen the news from the there as well? Or will basic cable channel stereo audio be output through the soundbar only?

Thanks,

5 replies

As long as the Arc is isn’t within the projection path to cast a shadow it will be fine just raise and angle things accordingly. An alternative is to use a Sonos Amp and connect the TV to its HDMI-ARC port and have two passive connected speakers for the front channels which create a phantom center channel.

The two rears can be added at any time and can be things like Sonos One SL’s, or perhaps Symfonisk Frame or Lamp speakers depending on your environment/own preference. You could also add the Sonos Sub to the setup.

Great, had no idea about the Amp and how to use it (I know little to nothing about audio setups...).

I love the idea of using two speakers for front channels, and let the center channel to be created as “phantom” (that’s something I didn’t know of also!). I think it would look a bit bad for a sound bar to be in front of the projector itself.
What do you suggest to use as front speakers in this case? A couple of Fives?

Great, had no idea about the Amp and how to use it (I know little to nothing about audio setups...).

I love the idea of using two speakers for front channels, and let the center channel to be created as “phantom” (that’s something I didn’t know of also!). I think it would look a bit bad for a sound bar to be in front of the projector itself.
What do you suggest to use as front speakers in this case? A couple of Fives?

With an Amp, you would need a pair of 3rd-party 8ohm indoor passive speakers, either bookshelf, or floor-standers etc. I would just shop around online and see what suits your budget/requirements - also you can use the Sonos speakers/devices mentioned in this link for the two rear channel surround audio, or even use another Amp/Speakers: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4807

So in short, for the FCR part, I either go with Amp + passive third party speakers, or get a sound bar, correct?

I was expecting there to be an easier way to have a Sonos-based home theater setup without a sound bar.

So in short, for the FCR part, I either go with Amp + passive third party speakers, or get a sound bar, correct?

Yes, that’s correct

I was expecting there to be an easier way to have a Sonos-based home theater setup without a sound bar.

Not including the older Sonos products, like ‘PlayBase’, for example, there is currently either the ‘Ray’/‘Beam’/‘Arc’, or ‘Amp’ for the FCR HT channels.