Home Theater and Television Recommendation Megathread

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Does the Sony kdl50w805b is capable for Sonos surround? I can't find him back on the list
Badge +2
I’m currently showing “Stereo” as the Audio In under “About My Sonos System.” I can upgrade my HDMI switch to hopefully allow for Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Before I do that, though, I’m curious... I’m currently getting sound out of my PLAYBASE, SUB, and two Play:1’s as rears. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the sound exactly? Just stereo, but pushed through the 5.1 setup? Will there be a noticeable difference in sound if I’m able to properly upgrade my HDMI switch with a Toslink output directly to my PLAYBASE and get Dolby Digital 5.1 working?

The PlayBase will create a pseudo 5.1 output when receiving a stereo input. A true DD 5.1 will be noticeably better, especially from your Sub.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m currently showing “Stereo” as the Audio In under “About My Sonos System.” I can upgrade my HDMI switch to hopefully allow for Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Before I do that, though, I’m curious... I’m currently getting sound out of my PLAYBASE, SUB, and two Play:1’s as rears. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the sound exactly? Just stereo, but pushed through the 5.1 setup? Will there be a noticeable difference in sound if I’m able to properly upgrade my HDMI switch with a Toslink output directly to my PLAYBASE and get Dolby Digital 5.1 working?

The PlayBase will create a pseudo 5.1 output when receiving a stereo input. A true DD 5.1 will be noticeably better, especially from your Sub.
Badge +2
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I have just purchased a Samsung UE49MU8000 and can confirm that it passes Dolby 5.1 through to optical out via HDMI sources.
Badge +2
HDMI Switcher recommendations from the community:
Octava HD-41
Monoprice ARC version 7974

Can this list be updated with any more and/or newer recommendations? Monoprice confirmed for me that the ARC version 7974 HDMI switch does not exist anymore. The Octava HD-41 Switch is ~$250. No thanks. I currently own the $40 Kinivo 510BN HDMI switch, and per other user comments, it does not support DD5.1 pass through. I bought an LG 60PB5600 plasma TV (one of the last plasmas made, I believe. I refuse to switch to LED), and I confirmed with LG that it also does not support DD5.1 pass through. I'm looking for other HDMI switch recommendations that are confirmed to work. Thanks!

If you find a switch that works well please let us know. I found this new one on Amazon, looks promising but the reviews are not very detailed.

https://www.amazon.com/FiveHome-Extractor-Splitter-Optical-Supports/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=sr_1_4?m=A3LVDVG1JBPA0&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1512670503&sr=1-4

I have since found 3 on Amazon that have the Toslink output and apparently work with SONOS:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HM1RP6G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36PN40E750046 (outputs 5.1 for SONOS, per the Seller)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017MUWYLS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A21E2GQRWA2Y0Y (works with SONOS, per the reviewers. One reviewer confirmed it passes 5.1 to SONOS).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJGAKCW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2IX3RNQE846HA (works with SONOS per the reviewers, but no confirmation of DD5.1 pass through)
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Hi,

Very useful thread. My current Samsung TV does not pass 5.1 to my playbar via external source(i use Apple TV 4th gen).

I am in UK and planning to buy one of following Samsung model. Would you be able to confirm if any of these models will pass 5.1 via external source. Thanks

UE55MU7000TXXU
UE55MU6120KXXU
UE55MU6400UXXU
UE55MU6500UXXU

I assume the TV settings should be the same even though you're in the UK but I checked rtings.com for you and they show the MU6500 as passing through 5.1. I didn't check the others but here's a link you can use: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6500
Does any one know if Philips 65PUS8102 can pass 5:1 to the soundbar?
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Octava HD-41

Can this list be updated with any more and/or newer recommendations? Monoprice confirmed for me that the ARC version 7974 HDMI switch does not exist anymore. The Octava HD-41 Switch is ~$250. No thanks. I currently own the $40 Kinivo 510BN HDMI switch, and per other user comments, it does not support DD5.1 pass through. I bought an LG 60PB5600 plasma TV (one of the last plasmas made, I believe. I refuse to switch to LED), and I confirmed with LG that it also does not support DD5.1 pass through. I'm looking for other HDMI switch recommendations that are confirmed to work. Thanks!

My Monoprice MD-415ARC works fine but has since disappeared from Amazon and the Monoprice website. There are some other Monoprice options like this one although it has a couple of extra features people may not be looking for:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14529

There's also this one but there's limited inputs: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24278
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I'm looking into getting a LG 65UJ7700 tv and a Sonos 5.1 (Soundbar, play 3x2 and sub) to upgrade our aging living room setup. We stream 90% of what we watch either through Chromecast or Netflix/Hulu/Amazon. So there won't be a BluRay or receiver in the new setup, just the tv, soundbar and Chromecast. Trying to keep the cleanest setup (no HDMI switcher) as possible for the less tech savvy wife. Anyone know firsthand if this tv's optical pass-through works without any snags?

Hi Rich, Did you manage to confirm this for the LG65UJ770? I am looking at getting the same one and want to know if it passes through 5.1 to Playbar. Thanks in advance, Stuart

According to rtings.com, yes it does pass through 5.1 via optical.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj7700
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Octava HD-41

If you find a switch that works well please let us know. I found this new one on Amazon, looks promising but the reviews are not very detailed.

https://www.amazon.com/FiveHome-Extractor-Splitter-Optical-Supports/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=sr_1_4?m=A3LVDVG1JBPA0&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1512670503&sr=1-4

I'm happy to update that list as well with community recommendations.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Octava HD-41

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I'm looking into getting a LG 65UJ7700 tv and a Sonos 5.1 (Soundbar, play 3x2 and sub) to upgrade our aging living room setup. We stream 90% of what we watch either through Chromecast or Netflix/Hulu/Amazon. So there won't be a BluRay or receiver in the new setup, just the tv, soundbar and Chromecast. Trying to keep the cleanest setup (no HDMI switcher) as possible for the less tech savvy wife. Anyone know firsthand if this tv's optical pass-through works without any snags?

Hi Rich, Did you manage to confirm this for the LG65UJ770? I am looking at getting the same one and want to know if it passes through 5.1 to Playbar. Thanks in advance, Stuart
Are there people who have an ultrawide screen (21:9 ratio) which works with their system as a pass through for dolby? I've also tried to look for a solution for pc, but this seems impossible to find without input lag for some reason in 2017
Badge +2
Octava HD-41

Badge
I've just bought a Sony KD55XE9005 and can confirm it passes DD 5.1 through to playbar.

Perfect, thank you! 🙂
Userlevel 2
I've just bought a Sony KD55XE9005 and can confirm it passes DD 5.1 through to playbar.
Badge
Does anyone know if there will be issues with a 2017 Sony KD65XE9005?
https://www.sony.dk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-65xe9005

I'm planning to purchase this TVs soon. I already own a SONOS PlayBar, two PLAY ONE, and AppleTV 4K.
Will I have any issues with the PlayBar passing Dolby 5.1 with this TV?
I can confirm that my LG 47LS5600 tv passes the 5.1 from HDMI to Optical to my Sonos Playbar.
I quote:

How do Sonos know that I am playing tv instead of music?

My presumption is that the TV setting has affect on the input from the optical input, the music setting is when it's getting a stream from something other than the optical input.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Does my Philips 55POS9002 Oled tv support surround sound with playbase and a couple of Play1?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I quote:

Inside your Room Settings for the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE are two additional options.
Music playback which allows you to choose between two settings for the surround speakers:
Ambient: Default option; subtle, ambient sound.
Full: Enables louder, full range stereo sound.
Selecting Full has the surround speakers playing stereo along with the PLAYBAR when you have a music source playing, this has no effect when playing TV.

But is it possible to use this settings also with tv like multi channel stereo?
How do Sonos know that I am playing tv instead of music?
Thank you
Badge +1
Hello folks!

I’ve found another TV that works:

Panasonic 50-EX700B

I assume that also means the other sizes of 700B, along with the 600B and 750B ranges will also work. I got a pretty awesome Black Friday deal from John Lewis including a free 5 year warranty.

By “it works” I mean that it passes 5.1 on to the Sonos via optical. My set up is:

Sky+ HD Box > HDMI > TV HDMI 1
Panasonic Blu-Ray > HDMI > TV HDMI 2
TV > Digital Optical > Playbase

It all looks and sounds fantastic. The TV is 4K, and streams Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K/HDR, and they also output in 5.1. The Blu-ray upscales to 4K and is outputting 5.1. Sky HD is HD only (no Q yet!) but is outputting 5.1.

Panasonic don’t seem to feature in any of the earlier posts and wider tests, so I was delighted to get this working and to share it with you all as an option!

I had to fiddle with the settings quite a bit on all parts of the chain, so if anyone attempts the same set up and gets stuck, give me a shout

Cheers, Matt
Hi,

Very useful thread. My current Samsung TV does not pass 5.1 to my playbar via external source(i use Apple TV 4th gen).

I am in UK and planning to buy one of following Samsung model. Would you be able to confirm if any of these models will pass 5.1 via external source. Thanks

UE55MU7000TXXU
UE55MU6120KXXU
UE55MU6400UXXU
UE55MU6500UXXU
Badge
Does anyone know if there will be issues with a 2017 Samsung 65" MU8000 or 2017 LG 65" OLED65B7A? I'm planning to purchase one of these TVs soon. I already own a SONOS PlayBase and Samsung K8500 Blu-Ray Player. Will I have any issues with the PlayBase passing Dolby 5.1 with either of these TVs?