Home Theater and Television Recommendation Megathread

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I know that the Samsung UE55KS8000 is listed... you can also add the UN variation (UN55KS8000) for the US as well. Both my XBox One and Apple TV have Dolby Digital 5.1 passed through to the optical connection from HDMI connections. I should note that the "Expert" audio setting setting for the output format is set to Dolby Digital, which might impact this result if set to something else. However, even built-in apps that are known to use DD+ (i.e. Netflix, Vudu) are outputting DD 5.1.

With my new TV upgrade, I'm now able to ditch the HDMI switch that I had been using!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Mike!, I'll update the page.
Does anyone know if the Samsung UE55KS7000 is capable of passing DD 5.1 through optical audio out after receiving the original signal through HDMI?
Hey Ryan -

I followed the instructions for Xbox One and the sound is amazing in 5.1 now.

My only issue is there's a lip syncing issue where the audio is behind the picture.

Isbere any way to resolve this?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I recently bit the bullet and replaced my old Pioneer Plasma with a new Sony KD-55XD9305BU. After a little fiddling around with the settings (Sony's instructions are minimal at best) I've managed to get the TV outputting all sources (TV, Media Player (WD HD) and Blu Ray (Samsung BDJ-7500) to my Soundbar & Sub. The TV output is PCM (Still sounds good) but the externals are all being output in glorious DD 5.1. I've set the Samsung to convert DTS to DD 5.1 on the fly so no problems there.

I'm now in Movie heaven as the Sony's picture is INSANE and the sound is absolutely phenomenal from my Sonos system. Especially after i upgraded to Sonos 7.1 and tuned it using the updated 'TruePlay'.

Even the wife admits to being impressed!!!!

My only problem now is - how do i find time to revisit all my favourite movie Blu Rays and media files without evicting the wife and kids?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Apologies - I should clarify that all external sources are being output via the TV's optical output and thus passing DD 5.1 direct to the soundbar. So now I'm able to get rid of my optical switching box and all the extra optical leads and the TV cabinet looks much tidier. The upgrade mentioned was the recent Sonos system upgrade and not an upgrade to DD 7.1 - in case you got confused.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi I'm from Singapore. My tv model is 55uf680T. Will it pass thru Dolby digital 5.1???
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi I'm from Singapore. My tv model is 55uf680T. Will it pass thru Dolby digital 5.1???

I haven't worked with that TV personally but from the review here on the very similar 55UF6800, I think you should be fine.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Thanks Ryan.
Does anybody know if Samsung 65ju7500 has optical pass through ?
Can any one confirm if the SONY BRAVIA KD65XD8599BU will pass through DD5.1 to the Playbar?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

According to the review here It does have 5.1 passthrough on the optical for Dolby Digital. You should be fine with it.

Can any one confirm if the SONY BRAVIA KD65XD8599BU will pass through DD5.1 to the Playbar?

Looking on their manual it says that the optical will pass Dolby Digital as well. However, it doesn't specify if it'll do it for all sources. Usually they'll list if it isn't all sources, so I think you're safe.
Badge
I'm at a loss.

I bought some new gear:
Tv: Sony XBR-75X940D
blu-ray: Samsung UBD K8500

I hooked up my sonos playbar + SUB (which I borrowed from my other TV).

I cannot get a 5.1 signal to the playbar from the blu-ray. It shows up as stereo only.

I'm sure the TV is capable of 5.1 passthrough, as my TiVo and Apple TV passthtough 5.1 to the playbar via the TV no problem.

I then hooked up my older bluray, Sony BDP-S550 - same issue - stereo.
I also tried using the same HDMI cables as the TiVo - but it didn't matter - stereo.

Not sure where to go with this.
Pretty bummed, as I was looking forward to buying the complete sonos HT bundle for this room.
If I cannot to get 5.1 from my blu-ray source, I'll have to move to a different Audio solution.
Not something I want to do, as I love my sonos gear.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3

If I cannot to get 5.1 from my blu-ray source
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, is the Blu-Ray movie/disk compatible DD 5.1 audio or only DTS? Seen that your system works fine with other devices.
When choosing the language make sure to choose the DD 5.1 version.

According to the review here It does have 5.1 passthrough on the optical for Dolby Digital. You should be fine with it.

Looking on their manual it says that the optical will pass Dolby Digital as well. However, it doesn't specify if it'll do it for all sources. Usually they'll list if it isn't all sources, so I think you're safe.

Thanks
Badge

If I cannot to get 5.1 from my blu-ray source
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, is the Blu-Ray movie/disk compatible DD 5.1 audio or only DTS? Seen that your system works fine with other devices.
When choosing the language make sure to choose the DD 5.1 version.

Yes, I selected the DD 5.1 audio track on the blu-ray. I tried a few different movies.
I'm having some issues with my setup getting Dolby Digital 5.1 through my Chromecast. I'm aware of all the issues regarding DD passthrough on certain TVs, etc. I have the following:

TV: Sony 50W805B with confirmed DD 5.1 output through optical
Xbox One S with a 1st Gen Chromecast plugged into HDMI slot.
Sonos playbar, sub, and two play 3s as surrounds

Here's my set-up: I have the Chromecast plugged into the HDMI port on the Xbox and the Xbox audio setting set to bitrate to output DD5.1. HDMI from the Xbox is plugged into the TV. Optical from the TV is going to the playbar. I thought with the Xbox and a TV that passes DD5.1 I could by without an HDMI switch with Toslink.

My problem and question: I have no issue getting DD5.1 while playing Xbox games. The system sounds great! The issue seems to be with the Chromecast. When playing a movie through Google Play movies the Sonos app says the playbar is receiving DD5.1. Unfortunately, the play3 surrounds are silent when casting a movie. It's clearly not 5.1 audio despite what the Sonos controller app says. What am I doing wrong? What am I forgetting? Do you have any suggestions on how to get this setup to play nicely? Would the following Ligawo HDMI switch fix this issue?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00EOVD01M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HJPDC3GC0XOS&coliid=I1KHZVFWH2WXA9&psc=1
Badge
Unfortunately I'll have to move away from sonos for my HT setup. As much as I love sonos - Its reliance on digital optical DD5.1 passthrough is proving to be problematic - even for televisions at the high end of the spectrum. Suggestion for sonos: add HDMI inputs and ARC support to the playbar. Next step for me, going back to the AVR model (sigh).
Userlevel 1
Badge
Does anyone know if the Philips 65PUS6521 will passthrough 5.1 to the playbar via HDMI? Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Any idea if the upcoming Oppo UDP-203 will convert DTS to DD 5.1? Any insight into the upcoming Dolby Vision compatible 4k blu-ray players would be appreciated thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hello,

I am currently looking into upgrading my tv with a thought to getting 2xPlay 1's later in the year for surround sound. I already have a Playbar. I have looked through the list of TVs at the start of this thread and the 4K ones I have looked at the size range I am after (40-49") seem to either be discontinued or are perhaps not the right codes for UK models.

Does anyone know of any currently available UK 4K TV within the 40-49" size range which will pass 5.1? 4 HDMI ports would be preferable as well, if possible!

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Most, if not all, of the Sony 4K range should pass DD 5.1. My 55xd9305 does and it sounds great with my soundbar and sub. I also use the Samsung BD-J7500 which can covert DTS to DD5.1 on the fly and output it via HDMI to the TV so no need for extra optical cables or switches. It also upscales to 4K brilliantly, even media files.
Hope this helps
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
opsman - thanks for the reply. I got a Samsung H6500 Bluray player which also converts to DD5.1 on the fly. I am keeping my eye on the Sony Bravia XD80's on Amazon as a couple of the reviews on there mention that they pass on 5.1 from connected sources.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
No problem, i'm pretty sure all the current Sony TV's pass DD 5.1 via optical. I really fancy the Panasonic DMP-UB900 or the new Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray players to get the most out of my TV but none of them can convert on the fly like the Samsungs so i'll have to get the K8500 or wait and see what else comes to market in the next couple of months.
Looking to buy Samsung UE55KU6400 (4K), but can't seem to find any information regarding it's 5.1 capabilities. Would love to know if it's compatible with Sonos.