Home Theater and Television Recommendation Megathread

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Badge

Is there anybody who have tried the new Nvidia Shield Pro and seen if it can provide 5.1 Surround Sound (the old one could not).

Badge +1
SONY BRAVIA KDL50W755C

I just purchased this TV and can confirm that it passes DD5.1 from HDMI connected devices to the Playbar via the optical out. N.b. the TV should be set to use an external audio source in "Auto 1" mode.
Badge +1
SONY BRAVIA KDL50W755C

I just purchased this TV and can confirm that it passes DD5.1 from HDMI connected devices to the Playbar via the optical out. N.b. the TV should be set to use an external audio source in "Auto 1" mode.

Thanks for sharing! I'lll get it added to the list. Does the TV show any sort of popup or error message when adjusting the volume?

Yes. The TV will either show a notification ("TV Volume is Fixed") or a volume slider, depending upon whether the "audio out" is selected to be "fixed" or "variable", respectively. The notifications only appear for a few seconds.

For what it's worth, I understand that this TV is exactly the same as the already-recommended Sony KDL 50W808C, save for that it doesn't have 3D. Likewise, I understand that the other size panels in both these ranges will function the same.

Finally, note that Sony customer service were unable to confirm over the phone that this TV could handle 5.1 as hdmi passthrough. The retailer (Richer Sounds) was also unable to confirm this (in fact, they claimed that Sonos could only function as a stereo set up!). So I had to purchase the set and check for myself.

According to the NVIDIA website:

Dolby Audio Support (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos)
DTS-X surround sound (pass-through) over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI
Audio support: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WAVE, AMR, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM, WMA, WMA-Pro, WMA-Lossless, DD+ decode, Dolby Atmos decode, Dolby TrueHD (pass-through), DTS-X (pass-through), and DTS-HD (pass-through

Hello all,

For Dolby Atmos, the home theater set is enough? 

Or should i get 2 more (maybe the wall monut set) to stay above head?

That set is maxed out as far as adding speakers.  There is no ability to add overhead speakers, the Atmos height speakers are built into the Arc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I know that the Samsung UE55KS8000 is listed... you can also add the UN variation (UN55KS8000) for the US as well. Both my XBox One and Apple TV have Dolby Digital 5.1 passed through to the optical connection from HDMI connections. I should note that the "Expert" audio setting setting for the output format is set to Dolby Digital, which might impact this result if set to something else. However, even built-in apps that are known to use DD+ (i.e. Netflix, Vudu) are outputting DD 5.1.

With my new TV upgrade, I'm now able to ditch the HDMI switch that I had been using!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks. From looking at other forums(avs) this particular display will only pass DD from the internal tuner. That being said, in order to get my other components, PS4 and Direct Tv box I would need a HDMI switcher with optical? If so, which one would the community recommend?

That would be the type of device you'd want to use, an HDMI to optical switcher, ideally with Dolby Digital 5.1 passthrough. We don't have a specific one to recommend, but there are some suggestions here on the community. I've seen people using ones from several places and brands with great success.
FYI, the LG 55 B6V model is throughputting DD 5.1 succesfuly 🆒
Works with different HDMI sources (PS4, Apple TV and Samsung set top box)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
FYI, the LG 55 B6V model is throughputting DD 5.1 succesfuly 🆒
Works with different HDMI sources (PS4, Apple TV and Samsung set top box)

Thanks, I've added it to the list!

Hi,

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV (2013). Model - TC-50PS64. I really want to setup my home theatre using the Sonos 5.1 system. However, based on my research so far I'm getting mixed signals on whether the optical cable from Panasonic send 5.1 or not.

I consume content from following sources:

1. Amazon Fire TV
2. Xfinity X1
3. Chromecast
4. Apple TV
5. Blu Ray player (rarely)

The TV only has 2 HDMI IN ports, so I'm looking to add a HDMI switch or Receiver. Is SONOS a feasible option for me without changing the TV. I really want to make this work. What would the setup look like?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Sashiraichand, since you have so many HDMI sources, you probably would want to use an HDMI switcher with an optical output. That way you can have everything plugged into that device, with the audio going out to Sonos and the video heading to the TV. In that configuration, it won't even matter if the TV can or can't pass Dolby over optical. Just make sure the switch you pick can.
Userlevel 5
Badge +15

This is a great thread but info is 4 years old. Wondering if Sonos can update any info or do a new 2020 thread, it would be very helpful. 

Just had a look at the User Guide for the following models and they should all pass DD 5.1:-

KD-75XE90xx / 75XE85xx / 65XE90xx / 65XE85xx / 55XE90xx / 55XE85xx / 49XE90xx
FW-75XE90xx / 75XE85xx / 65XE90xx / 65XE85xx / 55XE90xx / 49XE90xx

"DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)
Digital optical jack (Two channel linear PCM:
48 kHz, 16 bits, Dolby Digital, DTS)"

I've just bought a Sony 49XE9000 and can confirm that it passes DD 5.1. Excellent sound and picture.
Anyone have any thoughts on compatibility with TCL P Series TVs?
Badge
Anyone have any thoughts on compatibility with TCL P Series TVs?
I'm also interested in hearing whether or not these TCL Roku tv's are a viable plug and play option with either a Playbase or Playbar. Thank you for your consideration and constructive advice.
Badge +2
HDMI Switcher recommendations from the community:
Octava HD-41
Monoprice ARC version 7974

Can this list be updated with any more and/or newer recommendations? Monoprice confirmed for me that the ARC version 7974 HDMI switch does not exist anymore. The Octava HD-41 Switch is ~$250. No thanks. I currently own the $40 Kinivo 510BN HDMI switch, and per other user comments, it does not support DD5.1 pass through. I bought an LG 60PB5600 plasma TV (one of the last plasmas made, I believe. I refuse to switch to LED), and I confirmed with LG that it also does not support DD5.1 pass through. I'm looking for other HDMI switch recommendations that are confirmed to work. Thanks!
Badge
Hello folks!

I’ve found another TV that works:

Panasonic 50-EX700B

I assume that also means the other sizes of 700B, along with the 600B and 750B ranges will also work. I got a pretty awesome Black Friday deal from John Lewis including a free 5 year warranty.

By “it works” I mean that it passes 5.1 on to the Sonos via optical. My set up is:

Sky+ HD Box > HDMI > TV HDMI 1
Panasonic Blu-Ray > HDMI > TV HDMI 2
TV > Digital Optical > Playbase

It all looks and sounds fantastic. The TV is 4K, and streams Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K/HDR, and they also output in 5.1. The Blu-ray upscales to 4K and is outputting 5.1. Sky HD is HD only (no Q yet!) but is outputting 5.1.

Panasonic don’t seem to feature in any of the earlier posts and wider tests, so I was delighted to get this working and to share it with you all as an option!

I had to fiddle with the settings quite a bit on all parts of the chain, so if anyone attempts the same set up and gets stuck, give me a shout

Cheers, Matt

Hi Matt - I have just bought the same Panasonic TV and have been re-assured it passes 5.1. I haven't managed to get it set up correctly yet and saw your post about it being a bit tricky. Any advice? Thanks

Tim
Sony XBR55X900E works grate and paired with the Samsung UBD M7500 Blu Ray decodes perfectly to Playbar in 5.1
You need to set the M7500 to Bitstream (Re-encoded Dolby D) in settings to transcode from DTS.

Hi All,

I really need help on TV recommendations with the Sonos Beam 5.1 Set-up, that is a Beam, Sub and 2 Play Ones. 

I am currently using a Samsung q55q85r that has audio lag on devices on HDMI. I do not want to use PCM Stereo.. I have tried absolutely every setting under the sun with the help of samsung and sonos.

I am looking at replacing this tv with an LG C9 is this a good choice? or can someone recommend a good alternative.

Thanks for your help and advise.

N

Hello folks!

Panasonic 50-EX700B

I assume that also means the other sizes of 700B, along with the 600B and 750B ranges will also work. I got a pretty awesome Black Friday deal from John Lewis including a free 5 year warranty.

By “it works” I mean that it passes 5.1 on to the Sonos via optical. My set up is:

It all looks and sounds fantastic. The TV is 4K, and streams Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K/HDR, and they also output in 5.1. The Blu-ray upscales to 4K and is outputting 5.1. Sky HD is HD only (no Q yet!) but is outputting 5.1.

Panasonic don’t seem to feature in any of the earlier posts and wider tests, so I was delighted to get this working and to share it with you all as an option!

I had to fiddle with the settings quite a bit on all parts of the chain, so if anyone attempts the same set up and gets stuck, give me a shout

Cheers, Matt

Hi Matt - I have just bought the same Panasonic TV and have been re-assured it passes 5.1. I haven't managed to get it set up correctly yet and saw your post about it being a bit tricky. Any advice? Thanks

Tim

Update: After a bit of playing I have got the Panasonic 50-EX700B succesfully passing through Dolby 5.1 from my SkyQ box, from Apple TV and also from the TV's built in Netflix, Amazon TV and other apps. Very pleased with the set up.

Tim

Hi Tim - Ive have the 58 version of this TV but have only managed to get 2.0 passed through to it (from a Sky Q Silver).

Could I ask what settings you ended up with on the TV, please?

The Netflix and Amazon Prime Apps sound amazing and It would be so good to get the Sky working too!!

Thanks, Paul
Badge
Hello folks!

Panasonic 50-EX700B

Cheers, Matt

Tim

Update: After a bit of playing I have got the Panasonic 50-EX700B succesfully passing through Dolby 5.1 from my SkyQ box, from Apple TV and also from the TV's built in Netflix, Amazon TV and other apps. Very pleased with the set up.

Tim

Hi Tim - Ive have the 58 version of this TV but have only managed to get 2.0 passed through to it (from a Sky Q Silver).

Could I ask what settings you ended up with on the TV, please?

The Netflix and Amazon Prime Apps sound amazing and It would be so good to get the Sky working too!!

Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul

Selected setting as below:

TV Speaker Setting : Off
HDMI Audio Format : PCM

Are you sure you were testing during a programme being broadcast in 5.1. They do a lot in 2.0 stereo. Films tend to be a good test.

Tim

Hi All,

I really need help on TV recommendations with the Sonos Beam 5.1 Set-up, that is a Beam, Sub and 2 Play Ones. 

I am currently using a Samsung q55q85r that has audio lag on devices on HDMI. I do not want to use PCM Stereo.. I have tried absolutely every setting under the sun with the help of samsung and sonos.

I am looking at replacing this tv with an LG C9 is this a good choice? or can someone recommend a good alternative.

N

I have the LG C9 55” .. works well with Sonos. It placing on s TV unit, you may need to change the stand to raise it above the Beam as the TV sits quite low. It’s cerainly one of the best TV’s out there for the money. I have no regrets. Picture is stunning and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Thanks Tim - it’s working!

Having SkyQ in 5.1, along with Panasonics Amazon and Netflix Apps has really simplified my set up - the tangle of wires, HDMI/Toslink splitters and their Remote Controls, infrared sensors etc have all gone!

I love this TV and would be really happy recommend it to any one with a similar setup.

Thanks again Tim for your help.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
To make a TV recommendation:
LG C9 2019 OLED
Does it pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from external components and over the air sources? YES
Does it have a pop-up on screen when the volume is adjusted? YES

To get the remote working, I had to go into the device connector and select soundbar, then select sonos and that's it - the magic remote controls the Playbar's sound. It passes through Dolby Digital 5.1 from my PS4 and Netflix no problem

The only sad part is this TV supports native Dolby Atmos and Sonos can't use it, all the Dolby Atmos settings are greyed out, it's painful to see 😞

Hi All,

N

I have the LG C9 55” .. works well with Sonos. It placing on s TV unit, you may need to change the stand to raise it above the Beam as the TV sits quite low. It’s cerainly one of the best TV’s out there for the money. I have no regrets. Picture is stunning and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Thanks for the Information Ken.

Just want to confirm with you that you have the SONOS and TV set to Dolby 5.1 without any audio lag, especially when using external connected HDMI devices?

Is you connection to the Beam HDMI/ARC or are you using the optical converter?

Really appreciate the help thanks!

Hello folks!

Panasonic 50-EX700B

Cheers, Matt

Tim
Hi guys. I have the same TV connected to a playbase. I am only getting stereo. Have set the Tv speaker to off and spdif selection to pcm. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Good Morning Everyone 

Can someone recommend Current TV’s around 49 to 55 inch for use with Sonos Play Bar / Sub / 2 x Play 1s which pass through Dolby Digital for use with SKY Q 

Looking for a bargain ha ha 

John Lewis currently offer 5 year guarantee and a £125 voucher off (next purchase) on the LG OLED55C9PLA (2019) UltraHD TV with Dolby Atmos (Supports PCM Dolby 2.0/5.1/DD+/TrueHD audio) that’s if you wish to future-proof the TV … it was originally £2,300 and is now down to £1499. It comes with built-in Netflix/Prime/Deezer/Spotify Apps, Freview Play HD Two Tuners and lots of other stuff besides. It has 4 x HDMI eARC port’s and allows audio pass-through… and will Support all the Dolby Audio formats.

The only issue is that the reflective speaker stand is low and it pays to raise the TV above the height of the PlayBar, which is easily done if wall mounting the TV, or if using it on a desktop/TV cabinet etc I recommend using a stand from Curry’s called the Sandstrom Tilt TV Base, which is ideal for all TV’s upto 60” and weighing upto 25kg … which far exceeds the LG C9.

I think Curry’s also offer this TV with interest free payments, but you don’t get the £125 voucher off your next purchase.

I have just purchased this TV myself and although it’s appears a bit expensive, it’s a real nice TV for the money… the 5 year guarantee also provides that extra peace of mind.

The picture on the OLED screen is stunning.

Here’s a YouTube video review of the C9 TV, I found for you to see it in action…

https://youtu.be/vkSOqbbuA28

edit: I forgot to mention that the TV also has built-in Alexa/Google voice assistants for (optionally) voice controlling both the TV and Sonos products .

I will just add that all the above is a personal opinion, based on my own experience with this TV and I’m not in anyway associated to the LG company

I’ve seen so many issues that people are having here with the LG C9 (lip sync/magic controller) that I’m now leaning to the equally excellent reviewed Panasonic TX-55GZ950B OLED.  Has anyone any experience of this TV in a Sonos 5.1 setup using a Playbar?