Home Theater and Television Recommendation Megathread

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi All

Has anybody had any success with the LG 42LM760T, I know its getting on a bit now but it does say DD on the DTV sound setting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Derek
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Surprised the Samsung UN55JU7100 is on this list. While it does pass the 5.1 signal, I have terrible audio drops with the setup. So much so, I had to integrate an HDMI switcher. Not ideal and not as smooth, but no other choice.

The TV does meet the criteria and so was recommended by the community, however we identified a recurring issue with the TV as you pointed out. We have a thread on that issue here which I made sure to add as a note on the line for those TVs. We're hoping this issue can be resolved and are working with Samsung.
Badge
Surprised the Samsung UN55JU7100 is on this list. While it does pass the 5.1 signal, I have terrible audio drops with the setup. So much so, I had to integrate an HDMI switcher. Not ideal and not as smooth, but no other choice.
Philips 55pus7600/12 passes DD 5.1 through optical. Confirmed.

Hi Lieven,

I cant confirm. I've got the 55pus7600/12 and a playbar but cannot get any 5.1 signal into the playbar, no matter what input I give it through the pus7600 (TV, youtube, USB). The sonos app always tells me that Audio in is Stereo. In the TV I have disabled the internal speakers and activated Multichannel. Can you please tell me what I have done wrong or how you got 5.1 into the playbar through the pus7600?

Cheers,

bube

Well, I was wrong. It can indeed pass through 5.1. However, my problem was that I have not found any material that actually got 5.1 through to my playbar and the playbar being able to read it as such. It worked with some movies via USB. So, yes, it can pass through 5.1. BUT, honestly, finding 5.1 stuff that the playbar can read is really difficult these day. Netflix uses DD+ which the playbar cannot read = Stereo output. Google Play movies codes the 5.1 into HC-AAC which the playbar cannot read = Stereo output. I can only get a stereo signal from youtube. I am not sure if this is an Android TV problem or whatever. Anyway, it seems to me that all the streaming services (=the future) are not compatible with the playbar as it is right now.

So..., Eternity, i would recommend you to do a thourough research concerning the playbar and if it can actally do the stuff you want it to do.
Hey guys. I am thinking of picking up a playbar and sub but would like to know if my tv outputs 5.1 because thats where i am going in the near future. My tv is Sony bravia kdl-50w805b. Thanx in advance
Philips 55pus7600/12 passes DD 5.1 through optical. Confirmed.

Hi Lieven,

I cant confirm. I've got the 55pus7600/12 and a playbar but cannot get any 5.1 signal into the playbar, no matter what input I give it through the pus7600 (TV, youtube, USB). The sonos app always tells me that Audio in is Stereo. In the TV I have disabled the internal speakers and activated Multichannel. Can you please tell me what I have done wrong or how you got 5.1 into the playbar through the pus7600?

Cheers,

bube
Badge +1
Great news, thanks for sharing re dx900. Panasonics traditionally haven't passed through ac3 I believe. I've been reading a fair bit about this particular tv so I do hope it gets released in Australia soonish (or at all). You happy with yours? What are you doing until the lag gets fixed? Stereo downgrade or switch?

The TVs is amazing I previously had the hu8500 with sek-3500 and the dx900 really does blow my old set out of the water. I message Panasonic and they even said that it wouldn't do pass through 5.1 but in the manual it said that it would pass bitstream Dolby from HDMI so it must a new feature for the 2016 models, it's just ashame about the lag, so I'm using a switch box at the moment which I'd bought before hand and it's all working fantastic. Just need a 4K bluray now 🙂
Great news, thanks for sharing re dx900. Panasonics traditionally haven't passed through ac3 I believe. I've been reading a fair bit about this particular tv so I do hope it gets released in Australia soonish (or at all). You happy with yours? What are you doing until the lag gets fixed? Stereo downgrade or switch?
Badge +1
The new Panasonic DX900 does pass through the DD5.1 from HDMI, I've just replaced my old Samsung with this, but it has really bad lag which makes it unwatchable. hopefully an update will fix this......ill keep you posted
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Considering getting a Soundbar.
Haven't seen any mention of Panasonic Vieras.

Any advice?

Most Panasonic Viera TVs work with the PLAYBAR, depending on the year, they can even pass Dolby Digital 5.1 to the PLAYBAR through the optical too. It's worth bringing up here that depending on the model you have, you may need to follow the directions here to turn off the onboard speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Any advice?
Go for the Playbar.
Considering getting a Soundbar.
Haven't seen any mention of Panasonic Vieras.

Any advice?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That is an excellent resource, I just wish there was something similar for the UK. That said, there remains some inconsistencies and the potential for misinformation. For example (and it may be an isolated error), if you look at their review for the Samsung JS8500, the answer is "yes" for all 5.1 pass-through questions. However, in the questions below, someone asks about 5.1 pass-through via optical to a soundbar, and gets the following reply: "Samsung TVs can't do 5.1 passthrough, so yes, you would need to do HDMI".

We've seen the Samsung JS8500 to pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from HDMI sources over the optical connection. There shouldn't be an issue with that TV playing audio to Sonos. You can go into the settings and manually set the Audio Format to Dolby Digital and HDMI Audio Format to Bitstream.

Moderator Edit: We’ve recently identified an issue with Dolby Digital content coming through the optical on this TV. You can find more information on this issue here.
Userlevel 1
Badge
That is an excellent resource, I just wish there was something similar for the UK. That said, there remains some inconsistencies and the potential for misinformation. For example (and it may be an isolated error), if you look at their review for the Samsung JS8500, the answer is "yes" for all 5.1 pass-through questions. However, in the questions below, someone asks about 5.1 pass-through via optical to a soundbar, and gets the following reply: "Samsung TVs can't do 5.1 passthrough, so yes, you would need to do HDMI".
Badge
For everyone looking for information about TVs that support 5.1 passthrough rtings.com just posted an excellent article about this subject including extensive testing they have done. They have a lot of information about each manufacturer as well as test results for most current TVs. Here's the article:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
LG have now confirmed to me that the 65EF950V (the UK version of the 65EF9500) does pass Dolby Digital 5.1 via optical when connected to external devices using HDMI.

I have one further question, which I suspect has already been answered somewhere but would be grateful for clarification. If I have a TV that does not pass 5.1 via optical, is there a workaround for getting the TV's internal apps to play 5.1 via the Playbar? I think I have read something about using the TV's HDMI ARC connection to take the audio from the TV to a switch and then to the Playbar. If so, how does that work with (say) Netflix, which outputs Dolby Digital Plus? Is there a switch which can convert Dolby Digital Plus to standard DD?

That's a good question, looking over the TV you have, I don't know if any of the HDMIs on there can output audio to a switch. Though this sort of setup could work with some TV's, but I'm not sure if yours can handle it. You may be best using another device that has access to the apps you're looking to use instead which can output 5.1.

This thread has a few switches that are community recommended which can convert audio formats, so you can take a look at those.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the suggestion Ryan, I'll give that a try. By the way, this was the email exchange between me and LG - make of it what you will!

Me:
"I am looking for a TV which can output DD 5.1 on the optical output, from any source, internal AND HDMI external. This is to provide sound to a Sonos Playbar. Can you tell me which 4K models can do this please?"

LG's reply:
"...Any of LG's TV's, providing they have a optical port, will output, providing the content that is playing has a rating of 5.1 or higher, at rating of 5.1 also providing that the sound system you are using has a rating of 5.1 or higher..."

Thanks for sharing. We'll hold off on adding the whole LG line to the list above, but from what I've heard their new TVs will all pass Dolby Digital. For older ones, there's a hidden installer menu you can access and turn the Dolby Digital on as well, but there's a bit of a process involved there.
Userlevel 1
Badge
LG have now confirmed to me that the 65EF950V (the UK version of the 65EF9500) does pass Dolby Digital 5.1 via optical when connected to external devices using HDMI.

I have one further question, which I suspect has already been answered somewhere but would be grateful for clarification. If I have a TV that does not pass 5.1 via optical, is there a workaround for getting the TV's internal apps to play 5.1 via the Playbar? I think I have read something about using the TV's HDMI ARC connection to take the audio from the TV to a switch and then to the Playbar. If so, how does that work with (say) Netflix, which outputs Dolby Digital Plus? Is there a switch which can convert Dolby Digital Plus to standard DD?
Thanks for the suggestion Ryan, I'll give that a try. By the way, this was the email exchange between me and LG - make of it what you will!

Me:
"I am looking for a TV which can output DD 5.1 on the optical output, from any source, internal AND HDMI external. This is to provide sound to a Sonos Playbar. Can you tell me which 4K models can do this please?"

LG's reply:
"...Any of LG's TV's, providing they have a optical port, will output, providing the content that is playing has a rating of 5.1 or higher, at rating of 5.1 also providing that the sound system you are using has a rating of 5.1 or higher..."
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm using a Playbar + 2x Play1 for TV sound, and I can confirm that the LG 49UF770V television passes 5.1 audio by default, from all three HDMI inputs:
1.SkyHD STB
2.LG BP350 Blu-Ray player
3.OSMC on Raspberry Pi

The Sky remote controls the Playbar volume, and when I am changing the volume it brings up a little warning circle on the TV screen, which then goes away when I stop changing the volume.

Before buying the TV I asked LG in the UK about HDMI 5.1 passthrough, and their reply (which wasn't 100% clear) was that all their current models do this. Shops such as Currys and John Lewis couldn't advise, so I ended up buying the TV online and if passthrough hadn't worked I could have returned it.

Great, I'll get it added above. Just a suggestion, you could try turning the TV speakers back on and plug something into the headphone jack. This should shut off the speakers, but remove the volume message when you adjust it.
I'm using a Playbar + 2x Play1 for TV sound, and I can confirm that the LG 49UF770V television passes 5.1 audio by default, from all three HDMI inputs:
1.SkyHD STB
2.LG BP350 Blu-Ray player
3.OSMC on Raspberry Pi

The Sky remote controls the Playbar volume, and when I am changing the volume it brings up a little warning circle on the TV screen, which then goes away when I stop changing the volume.

Before buying the TV I asked LG in the UK about HDMI 5.1 passthrough, and their reply (which wasn't 100% clear) was that all their current models do this. Shops such as Currys and John Lewis couldn't advise, so I ended up buying the TV online and if passthrough hadn't worked I could have returned it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This thread is a brilliant idea. Anyone know whether the LG 65EF9500 mentioned here is the same as the LG 65EF950V - I have a feeling one is the US version and one is the UK version. The LG user's manual for the latter appears to confirm it does pass Dolby Digital via optical, but when I asked LG the question they said that the TV "will not output in Dolby", only in PCM. Is this because the manufacturers do not understand their own products?

According to the review here the 65EF950V is the UK version of the TV.

There does seem to be a bit of uncertainty on that TV as to Dolby Digital output on Optical. Looking at this forum thread, it seems the general consensus is that the TV can output Dolby Digital over Optical from over the air and HDMI sources but you may need to enable it under one of the settings.

From there, it looks like the TV should be good. Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This thread is a brilliant idea. Anyone know whether the LG 65EF9500 mentioned here is the same as the LG 65EF950V - I have a feeling one is the US version and one is the UK version. The LG user's manual for the latter appears to confirm it does pass Dolby Digital via optical, but when I asked LG the question they said that the TV "will not output in Dolby", only in PCM. Is this because the manufacturers do not understand their own products?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Unfortenately, the Philips remote doesn't work with the playbar.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/playbar-doesnt-work-with-rf-philips-remotes-6557773

Looking over that TV, you're right. It seems it doesn't come with an IR blaster either. The PLAYBAR can only read IR commands for volume outside of our app so using the Philips remote isn't the best experience. I'll make a note above. You probably will want to look into using a universal remote control instead of the native Philips one. Something with RF and IR which can be taught to control both Sonos and your TV.
Badge +1
Unfortenately, the Philips remote doesn't work with the playbar.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/playbar-doesnt-work-with-rf-philips-remotes-6557773