Home Theater and Television Recommendation Megathread

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Badge +1

Good Morning Everyone 

Can someone recommend Current TV’s around 49 to 55 inch for use with Sonos Play Bar / Sub / 2 x Play 1s which pass through Dolby Digital for use with SKY Q 

Looking for a bargain ha ha 

Good Morning Everyone 

Can someone recommend Current TV’s around 49 to 55 inch for use with Sonos Play Bar / Sub / 2 x Play 1s which pass through Dolby Digital for use with SKY Q 

John Lewis currently offer 5 year guarantee and a £125 voucher off (next purchase) on the LG OLED55C9PLA (2019) UltraHD TV with Dolby Atmos (Supports PCM Dolby 2.0/5.1/DD+/TrueHD audio) that’s if you wish to future-proof the TV … it was originally £2,300 and is now down to £1499. It comes with built-in Netflix/Prime/Deezer/Spotify Apps, Freview Play HD Two Tuners and lots of other stuff besides. It has 4 x HDMI eARC port’s and allows audio pass-through… and will Support all the Dolby Audio formats.

The only issue is that the reflective speaker stand is low and it pays to raise the TV above the height of the PlayBar, which is easily done if wall mounting the TV, or if using it on a desktop/TV cabinet etc I recommend using a stand from Curry’s called the Sandstrom Tilt TV Base, which is ideal for all TV’s upto 60” and weighing upto 25kg … which far exceeds the LG C9.

I think Curry’s also offer this TV with interest free payments, but you don’t get the £125 voucher off your next purchase.

I have just purchased this TV myself and although it’s appears a bit expensive, it’s a real nice TV for the money… the 5 year guarantee also provides that extra peace of mind.

The picture on the OLED screen is stunning.

Here’s a YouTube video review of the C9 TV, I found for you to see it in action…

https://youtu.be/vkSOqbbuA28

edit: I forgot to mention that the TV also has built-in Alexa/Google voice assistants for (optionally) voice controlling both the TV and Sonos products .

I will just add that all the above is a personal opinion, based on my own experience with this TV and I’m not in anyway associated to the LG company

Badge

Is there anybody who have tried the new Nvidia Shield Pro and seen if it can provide 5.1 Surround Sound (the old one could not).

According to the NVIDIA website:

Dolby Audio Support (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos)
DTS-X surround sound (pass-through) over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI
Audio support: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WAVE, AMR, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM, WMA, WMA-Pro, WMA-Lossless, DD+ decode, Dolby Atmos decode, Dolby TrueHD (pass-through), DTS-X (pass-through), and DTS-HD (pass-through

According to the NVIDIA website:

Dolby Audio Support (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos)
DTS-X surround sound (pass-through) over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI
Audio support: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WAVE, AMR, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM, WMA, WMA-Pro, WMA-Lossless, DD+ decode, Dolby Atmos decode, Dolby TrueHD (pass-through), DTS-X (pass-through), and DTS-HD (pass-through

Does the “DD+ decode” mean that it should work for Netflix?

Sorry, I don’t work for NVDIA, I just quoted what I found on their website. Perhaps they have a customer service number that you could call, and get someone with true knowledge to assist you?

Good Morning Everyone 

John Lewis currently offer 5 year guarantee and a £125 voucher off (next purchase) on the LG OLED55C9PLA (2019) UltraHD TV with Dolby Atmos (Supports PCM Dolby 2.0/5.1/DD+/TrueHD audio) that’s if you wish to future-proof the TV … it was originally £2,300 and is now down to £1499. It comes with built-in Netflix/Prime/Deezer/Spotify Apps, Freview Play HD Two Tuners and lots of other stuff besides. It has 4 x HDMI eARC port’s and allows audio pass-through… and will Support all the Dolby Audio formats.

The only issue is that the reflective speaker stand is low and it pays to raise the TV above the height of the PlayBar, which is easily done if wall mounting the TV, or if using it on a desktop/TV cabinet etc I recommend using a stand from Curry’s called the Sandstrom Tilt TV Base, which is ideal for all TV’s upto 60” and weighing upto 25kg … which far exceeds the LG C9.

I think Curry’s also offer this TV with interest free payments, but you don’t get the £125 voucher off your next purchase.

I have just purchased this TV myself and although it’s appears a bit expensive, it’s a real nice TV for the money… the 5 year guarantee also provides that extra peace of mind.

Here’s a YouTube video review of the C9 TV, I found for you to see it in action…

edit: I forgot to mention that the TV also has built-in Alexa/Google voice assistants for (optionally) voice controlling both the TV and Sonos products .

I will just add that all the above is a personal opinion, based on my own experience with this TV and I’m not in anyway associated to the LG company

I’ve seen so many issues that people are having here with the LG C9 (lip sync/magic controller) that I’m now leaning to the equally excellent reviewed Panasonic TX-55GZ950B OLED.  Has anyone any experience of this TV in a Sonos 5.1 setup using a Playbar?

Hi, no one replied so I went for it anyway.  Can report that the Panasonic GZ950 OLED works perfectly with a full 5.1 Sonos setup and also with an Nvidia Shield.  No controller or lip sync issues at all for me. :-)

Hi, no one replied so I went for it anyway.  Can report that the Panasonic GZ950 OLED works perfectly with a full 5.1 Sonos setup and also with an Nvidia Shield.  No controller or lip sync issues at all for me. :-)

Does it work okay if you play games from a PS4 with Dolby Digital?

Badge +1

Good Morning Everyone 

Right then 

i have got this tv after your recommendation and some research on the internet 

Its fabulous however i’m struggling with the surrounds / settings etc 

Can you assist me with some instructions on the settings please? 

i have just got my sky q to my tv via hdmi / play bar via optical to tv

hope you can help me 

Bumph1,

Yes of course I will try to help. So...

• What is the issue you are encountering with your playbar surrounds?
  • Are the surrounds 'bonded’ for TV DD 5.1 surround sound, or 'grouped’ for stereo music playback?
  • Are you running your system on your local WiFi, or SonosNet and if using your WiFi, is it a centrally based router, or a WiFi mesh system?
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello, I'd just like to add my new TV to the list, working with my Playbar 5.1 setup.

It's a Toshiba 43U6863DB 43" Smart LED TV.

I have set Audio Output to COMPRESSED and it's happily passing proper Dolby Digital 5.1 from HDMI input (Samsung Blu-ray Player).

The only caveat is you cannot turn the internal speakers off, I have used an empty 3.5mm headphone jack connector in the headphone socket which has shut them down.

Very happy with it, was dreading changing TV's but it works better than my old Samsung TV! (needed EDID emulators).

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing! I’ll update the list.

Hi All,

I really need help on TV recommendations with the Sonos Beam 5.1 Set-up, that is a Beam, Sub and 2 Play Ones. 

I am currently using a Samsung q55q85r that has audio lag on devices on HDMI. I do not want to use PCM Stereo.. I have tried absolutely every setting under the sun with the help of samsung and sonos.

I am looking at replacing this tv with an LG C9 is this a good choice? or can someone recommend a good alternative.

Thanks for your help and advise.

N

Hi All,

I really need help on TV recommendations with the Sonos Beam 5.1 Set-up, that is a Beam, Sub and 2 Play Ones. 

I am currently using a Samsung q55q85r that has audio lag on devices on HDMI. I do not want to use PCM Stereo.. I have tried absolutely every setting under the sun with the help of samsung and sonos.

I am looking at replacing this tv with an LG C9 is this a good choice? or can someone recommend a good alternative.

N

I have the LG C9 55” .. works well with Sonos. It placing on s TV unit, you may need to change the stand to raise it above the Beam as the TV sits quite low. It’s cerainly one of the best TV’s out there for the money. I have no regrets. Picture is stunning and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Hi All,

N

I have the LG C9 55” .. works well with Sonos. It placing on s TV unit, you may need to change the stand to raise it above the Beam as the TV sits quite low. It’s cerainly one of the best TV’s out there for the money. I have no regrets. Picture is stunning and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

Thanks for the Information Ken.

Just want to confirm with you that you have the SONOS and TV set to Dolby 5.1 without any audio lag, especially when using external connected HDMI devices?

Is you connection to the Beam HDMI/ARC or are you using the optical converter?

Really appreciate the help thanks!

Thanks for the Information Ken.

Just want to confirm with you that you have the SONOS and TV set to Dolby 5.1 without any audio lag, especially when using external connected HDMI devices?

Is you connection to the Beam HDMI/ARC or are you using the optical converter?

Really appreciate the help thanks!

I’m based in the UK and use the LG C9 with VirginMedia V6 TiVo, Firestick 4K and PlayStation 3 (later slim version) .. I have the HDMI port set to ARC and “pass-through” and play Dolby Digital 5,1 from all those external sources, aswell as the built in Apps ..,no sign of lag here. No lip-sync issues.

Hope that assists too. 👍

I understand the HDMI “pass-through” option means the Audio passes through the HDMI ports unhindered with no transcoding or interruption from the TV, so it’s like  the external TV devices are connected directly to the Beam. It means no lag is caused by the TV at all .. it’s a great feature on the LG C9 and was a big selling point for me. The HDMI ARC port also supports transcoding to DD5.1 when set to auto, but I have no devices that need transcoding to the DD 5.1 codec as all my connected devices support Dolby.

FWIW ..,

In regards to the LG C9 TV, I also recommend using the rtings suggested ‘calibration’ settings for best picture for home use ... 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings

FWIW ..,

In regards to the LG C9 TV, I also recommend using the rtings suggested ‘calibration’ settings for best picture for home use ... 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings

Thanks for all your advise Ken. From this will be purchasing LG C9 :relaxed:.

Just wanted to share my experience that might be useful to others. I own a Samsung UA55MU7000WXXY circa 2017. I did a lot of research to see whether I would get the best out of a surround setup using the Beam, 2 x Ones and Sub. Sadly prior to my Sonos purchase Samsung could not confirm whether the TV could output Dolby 5.1 as the manual only stated Dolby+ which at the time of writing was not supported. I took a gamble as I was decided on the Sonos regardless. For context I use the smart TV for native Netflix for movies, YouTube for movies and some music. Apple TV 4K for movies and PS3 for blue rays, games and music. Well I setup the Sonos last night using HDMI ARC and watched a movie on Netflix. Sonos app confirmed it was seeing PCM only and when I went to TV audio expert settings, Dolby options were greyed out with either PCM or Bitsream selected. It would only select PCM and PCM. I watched a movie and it still sounded great despite the rears being hard to hear and I was disappointed at the prospect of no Dolby 5.1 thanks to my TV. Woke up this morning and tested PS3 and AppleTV with great success on Dolby 5.1 and it sounded amazing confirming the TV’s OneConnect box passes through from HDMI to HDMI as you would expect. In both cases I set those devices to output Dolby 5.1. Now my only disappointment was Netflix which I watch all the time until.. I retested and it now outputs Dolby 5.1 as confirmed by Sonos App and TV audio expert settings. It was like I needed to play from an external Dolby 5.1 source to unlock the setting on the TV for native apps (Netflix). Weird but I am now all sorted and very happy with the new setup. Hope others who are uncertain on this model TV can now be assured of compatibility.

Badge

Hello all,

For Dolby Atmos, the home theater set is enough? 

Or should i get 2 more (maybe the wall monut set) to stay above head?

Hello all,

For Dolby Atmos, the home theater set is enough? 

Or should i get 2 more (maybe the wall monut set) to stay above head?

That set is maxed out as far as adding speakers.  There is no ability to add overhead speakers, the Atmos height speakers are built into the Arc. 

Badge

Hi,

Any recommendation on the sharp 4tc60al1x

How do I ensure that 5.1 is passthough optical?

https://sg.sharp/products/tvav/4t-c60al1x

https://sg.sharp/sites/default/files/products/documents/4TC50AL1X-4TC60AL1X-4TC70AL1X_1.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You’ll have to find someone with that TV, or ask Sharp. Only advanced sites like rtings.com list pass-through abilities, and they don’t cover foreign models such as this.